• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aberdeen FC in triple signing bid

Aberdeen boss Mark targets star trio

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 08/01/2010

ABERDEEN FC boss Mark McGhee has launched an ambitious triple transfer bid aimed at boosting their chances of stealing the SPL’s third spot this season.

Talks have opened with Falkirk and Scotland defender Darren Barr.

An effort to land Scotland international striker Scott Dobie on loan from Carlisle has also been launched by Aberdeen FC.

And McGhee was today negotiating with Plymouth Argyle striker Steven MacLean in an effort to get the 27-year-old in time to face Hearts in the Scottish Cup at Pittodrie tomorrow.

For more on this story and bumper coverage of Aberdeen FC, pick up a copy of today's Evening Express.

Apparently the EE also says if we get Dobie and McLean, Paton is going on loan to Dundee.

Without wishing to take the EE at face value, I imagine it'd be more logical to punt some of our underperforming strikers than farming out a useful prospect.

Edit - Didn't read the above, great minds etc.

No problems with Paton going out on loan (although would prefer it if it was Maguire).  Paton has looked good but has not set the heather alight for me in the same way as Pawlett.  Granted Paton has been played out wide a lot, but perhaps a loan move wouldn't be too bad for him.

This was posted on the hat:

Just bought the paper looks like mclean will be here in time to face Hearts clubs have agreed terms. Dobie (31) is a possible loan move. Darren Barr has agreed a deal to sign in Summer but Aberdeen want him now and are prepared to offer Gary Macdonald to do the deal this month.

The Michael Paton one is if we get Dobie and Mclean we would put Paton on loan to Dundee not a permanent deal. Also mentions another striker there looking at but they don't want to mention who that is yet.

I suppose it just goes to show that more goes on behind the dense silence at AFC, which on reflection as we are working to ever tighter budgets is a good thing. It also means that if stuff like this pulls off then its a pleasant surprise.

As I previously posted, if we have no reserves, then we may have to accept some players who show promise being farmed out in order to develop them.  You never know, it may do Maguire the power of good to be sent to Dundee. Any time in that rat hole and im desperate to get out of there!

Not getting excited until its all wrapped up but would take Barr and MacLean in an instant. Not so sure about Dobie.

Think Paton needs a spell on loan somewhere playing up front so would be pleased if that went through as well, he's not really cutting it for me at the moment but the potential appears to be there.

EE is in the business of selling copy, not negotiating in todays incredibly volatile and challenging market place.

The hat is......well its the hat for fuck sake.

Cool your boots before you have our new team sheet written for tomorrows game.

Dobbie is pish. Even a non performing Miller would be better than him. One of the worst players I have seen play for Scotland.

Got to agree with that Jute.

To describe him as an internationalist is laughable.

Did any Scotland manager other than Herr Berti cap him ???

Does sound like Maclean might be on his way but still not sure how we're expecting to meet the financial demands. Don't remember seeing Dobie much so I can't judge but his record is definately not impressive, especially since he's 31.

Barr I just can't see happening but would be the best signing we've made in donkeys.

As for Paton, I can see the logic to an extent since a good run could be what his development needs and Marshall + new strikers would limit his appearences. but I would rather loan him to spl than 1st div given the goals dennis wyness got in 1st but lacked in spl. Macguire and Mackie may as well be given to the end of the season to see if they have a future with us.