Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Dons V St. Johnstone

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As dave_min says we should have the beating of St Johnstone today. They are a newly promoted team and desoite us being poor we should be able to defeat those. Unfortunately I am not confident. St Johnstone have been playing well and from what I have seen this season Kerr, Miller and McDonald have yet to reach anything approaching an interest yet alone form. If these three senior players do not show up again then we may struggle with Fyvie out and Pawlett looking doubtful as well. It's a bit of a joke that three youngsters are carrying our team and about time the older players stepped up to the plate for want of a better phrase. This game would be the perfect time for them to do just that.

I would take that crowd and line-up (Thornley aside) in a second.

We should be having them tomorrow, but the only problem is I can't se us scoring, EVER!

Likewise! Its quite staggering to see how much the quality has dropped over the years. We should be beating St. Johnstone, but we need to a) score, and b) score more than one. Fuck playing pretty, its 3 points that are more important. As DerBomber says, its all dependent on whether or not our "holy trinity" decide to turn up and its about time they did.

COME ON YOU REDS.

:ultras: :ultras: :ultras: :ultras: :ultras:

McGhee only makes the three enforced changes from the side that lost to Hibernian last weekend. Pawlett, Paton and Aluko all return to the starting line up in place of Ross, Maguire and Fyvie. Match official today is Euan Norris.

Aberdeen: Langfield, Mulgrew, Foster, Pawlett, Considine, Ifil, Kerr, , McDonald, Miller, Paton, Aluko.

St. Johnstone: Smith, MacKay, Gartland, Grainger, Rutkiewicz, Davidson, Craig, Millar, Morris, Samuel, Johansson.

Entertaining game today, mainly because St Johnstone certainly didn't come to sit back - it was decent football from both sides and the best match I've seen this season (probably the only half decent one!).

But we still have the same problems we had under Calderwood - sitting back when we're 1-0 up, and baffling substitutions.  Miller was utter gash today, and when I saw Wright ready to come on, I think the whole ground expected him to replace Miller - but he replaced Pawlett instead (who was excellent).

Pawlett and Paton both looking very good!  Midfield doing slightly better, Ifil tackling extremely well, but Miller still atrocious.

What's with SSN showing the highlights of the Huns game and the mini Huns game, but not us?

They'll have it on just after 7 or 8 normally, not sure why its a scattered approach.

Pleased we got the win today, I thought we would but some good individual performances too. Looking at it after the first quarter I still think top 4 should be our aim as while Dundee Utd look good Hibs are not that impressive, big game when we play them in December at Pittodrie.

Motherwell away shaping up to be a good game too, beat them and we're back in the mix  :thumbsup:

First half was probably one of the best, if not the best performance, of the season so far. Had a few chances before our goal, and Aluko did brilliantly to score a very good goal. Thought that we would go on to impose ourselves and get another couple. We went at them from the first minute and really looked up for it. With Pawlett and Aluko on either side, and 2/3 men in the box, we looked very dangerous.

Then after 35 mins or so, the game started to slow down a bit and it became very flat. Aluko going off was a huge miss in the second half and it really showed the difference between an out and out winger and a striker stuck out there. Second half performance was flat, dull, lacking any sort of killer instinct and St Johnstone deserved their goal. Looked like Langfield had the ball in his hands before being wiped out by Deuchar but would have to see again?

Crowd was getting on the players backs as St Johnstone were on top. The penalty came at the right time, not sure what happened but Radio Scotland implying that the ref maybe made up for the Saints goal?

Overall, very good first half, shite second half! Got the 3 points but plenty of work to be done. Thought Ifil and Considine had a good game in the centre of defence and Kerr finally showing some glimpses of actually being a footballer! Thought he did little wrong apart from the odd misplaced pass here or there, McDonald fairly anonymous. I thought Miller put in a lot of effort without being rewarded for it until his penalty. Aluko and Pawlett outstanding!

Also, think Paton was unlucky to be shunted out wide as it ended his involvement with his natural position but what a strike in the second half!  :thumbsup:

Thought we should have had the game tied up long before they scored but that would just be boring wouldn't it.

Just watched the highlights on RedTV and it looked a definite foul on Langfield for their goal I thought, but the ref evened it up with a soft pen.

Thought we should have had the game tied up long before they scored but that would just be boring wouldn't it.

Just watched the highlights on RedTV and it looked a definite foul on Langfield for their goal I thought, but the ref evened it up with a soft pen.

Hopefully as time goes on we can start killing teams off, as you say would make things less interesting if we did develop the killer instinct  :thumbsup: