Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Dons V St. Johnstone

Surely to feck this is one we've got to win? McGhee said in the paper the other day that he reckons we'll have to do something we've not done at Pittodrie yet this season - score twice. We all know St. Johnstone have been playing well. They're no mugs and we're.. well, shite. But a home game against St. Johnstone (even though the fixture thing at the bottom of the forum said it was away) is a game we should be fucking winning. We need to be attacking from the off and not play it like another fucking away game.

Not sure about the injury situation other than Fyvie's definately out. Kerr and MacDonald have some big shoes to fill!

Mon the Dons.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think we'll know more about the squad later but fairly sure Pawlett will be back on the bench so thats a boost  :thumbsup:

Haven't heard much about St Johnstone other than at home they have been playing well, for me though this is a stick on home win and i'm tempted to stick us on the coupon as I can't believe we won't win.

Having half an eye on Celtic failing to make it out the group stage of Europa League it reminded me of where we were a couple of years ago.

Now I can't see us beating St Johnstone.

Is this progress? I'm fucking struggling to see it.

:clap:

St Johnstone are my wee team so I hope we go easy on them.

2-0 for the dons.  :AFC2:

Having half an eye on Celtic failing to make it out the group stage of Europa League it reminded me of where we were a couple of years ago.

Now I can't see us beating St Johnstone.

Is this progress? I'm fucking struggling to see it.

Was there progress on that last season?

I think we'll have to go backward a bit to go forward again. Patience is a virtue etc and any other cliche that's applicable here.

I think we'll have to go backward a bit to go forward again. Patience is a virtue etc and any other cliche that's applicable here.

I would also question the logic in saying what progress has been made, we over acheived in that Uefa campaign in terms of reaching the last 32. Surely folk are not expecting a club with the resources of Aberdeen to reach the last 32 in the Uefa/Europa every season? Progress for me for a club our size has to be centred around bringing through youngsters, keeping a good average crowd, regularly qualifying for Europe and reaching the latter stages of domestic cups.

I did mean the club isn't progressing rather than anything McGhee has done.

But Going backwards to go forwards is nothing more than a cliché and last year it would've been called a lack of ambition to even think it. So yeah, since we're on the subject, McGhee needs to think of a way to get us results with what we have.

Not progress in terms of going further than the last 32 in Europe, but progress in terms of yet another solid league position and qualifying for Europe again, and the potential financial benefits as a result of that.

All still possible again this season hopefully.

I agree we're going to have to be patient, and there'll be no lack of patience amonst the regulars on here. Same as there wasn't under the old regime.

At the moment I have no expectation of us getting a result from any game we go into - it would be great to come away with a wee win on Saturday then no worrying about the dons for a fortnight  ;D

I cannot remember the last time I felt confident about us taking all three points

I did mean the club isn't progressing rather than anything McGhee has done.

McGhee needs to think of a way to get us results with what we have.

Of course he does, it's his job, afterall  and i wasn't saying what I said because of any gripe with the former management team or for any love of the new one. It is clear certain members of the side have to be moved on and new players - be it the youngsters or new signings - have to be bedded in. All of that takes time. They say that a teams cycle, in general, is 3 years. I just think we're in the middle of the change, so to speak...

Not progress in terms of going further than the last 32 in Europe, but progress in terms of yet another solid league position and qualifying for Europe again, and the potential financial benefits as a result of that.

I agree we're going to have to be patient, and there'll be no lack of patience amonst the regulars on here. Same as there wasn't under the old regime.

A solid league position only matters when the season has finished. We were bottom of the league last season at one point.

A solid league position only matters when the season has finished. We were bottom of the league last season at one point.

Exactly, that's why I said...

You're right, it's a period of change for the club, hopefully the fickle members of our support will realise that too.

I think it wont be until next summer, when McGhee tries to move on the dead wood in the squad and brings in a couple of 'his' players and the youngsters have settled in and got a full season under their belts. This season is very much a transitional one, yet still one which the expectations are as high as they were in the previous seasons. No doubt there will be much grumblings and muttering over the course of the season, but I will be reserving judgement on McGhee for now.

Of course, this 'transitional season' can easily be used an excuse for short-comings which the previous management team were lambasted for.

I am confident of an Aberdeen win tomorrow, and hope it's done in some style!

I think this'll be an interesting one. We should be looking for nothing less than a win against bottom six teams and by all accounts the Hibs performance bodes well in terms of effort and commitment. Seen saints a couple of times this season and they play a very open game, so hopefully conditions will allow for a wee bit of good football  :o Defensively they looked pish earlier on in the season but have changed out 40 year old Main for ex-hun Smith in goal and have captain Rutkiwicz back - who'll no doubt be fired up.

Lack of numbers worries me, losing Ross and Fyvie is massive and I think the result will depende on whether Kerr, McDonald and Miller can be arsed to turn up. If they do and we screw the nut at the back we should be strong enough.

For those who are interested, this is what we looked like last time this fixture came about:

1st December 2001

Aberdeen 1 St Johnstone 0

Aberdeen: Kjaer, McGuire, McNaughton, Whyte, Anderson, Mackie, Bisconti, Gunitveit, Winters, Zerouali, Thornley.

Scorer: Winters

St Johnstone: Miller, Kemble, McBride, Lynch, Murray, Lovenkrands, Dasovic, Hartley, Falconer, Russell, Connolly.

Att: 17, 369...amazing what a winning streak can do