• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1363138?UserKey=

Grassi set to sign on at Aberdeen FC

By Charlie Allan  :wave:

Published: 21/08/2009

DON DEAL: Aberdeen FC were this afternoon set to sign Davide Grassi.

ABERDEEN FC were this afternoon set to sign Italian trialist Davide Grassi.

Aberdeen FC boss Mark McGhee also hinted he is considering moving some of his fringe players out to make space for more new recruits.

Former Parma left-back Grassi, 23, was poised to sign a one-year deal if he passed a club medical after impressing McGhee in training this week.

But Aberdeen FC have dropped their interest in Spanish defender Aitor Fernandez Lopez.

McGhee said: “Grassi is 6ft plus, an athlete and a good footballer, so we are happy to give him a try

Actually, reading through his 'Tweets' it says the club didn't have enough sheckles to take him on. It's grim up north.

Special thanks to all the Aberdeen fans who showed me respect to my footballing ability while on trial. Pity they don't have enough funds.

Quote from: Sharpie on August 21, 2009, 03:39:56 PM

Actually, reading through his 'Tweets' it says the club didn't have enough sheckles to take him on. It's grim up north.

Special thanks to all the Aberdeen fans who showed me respect to my footballing ability while on trial. Pity they don't have enough funds.

Sad times at our club indeed.  :( But to be honest, he's a former premier league player, I would have thought wages were always going to be a stumbling block.

Anywho:

McGhee softens Aluko blow by signing Italian defender Grassi

One-year Dons deal for Espanyol player but Sone gets call-up

By Michael Gannon

Published: 22/08/2009

Davide Grassi

More Pictures

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee believes the capture of Italian defender Davide Grassi will soften the blow of losing Sone Aluko for up to two months of the season.

Former Parma youth product Grassi should today complete a one-year deal at Pittodrie after passing a medical last night but he will not be involved in the match against Hamilton Accies. The 23-year-old arrived via a link up with Spanish La Liga club Espanyol, although fellow trialist Aitor Fernandez Lopez has been released.

Grassi can slot in at left back or central defence and will be a welcome addition after Sone Aluko received confirmation of his selection for Nigeria for the Under-20 World Cup, which starts in Egypt on September 26 and runs until October 16.

Aluko is certain to miss SPL trips to Kilmarnock and Rangers and could also be unavailable for the visits of St Mirren and Dundee United either side of the tournament.

The 20-year-old is also tipped for the Super Eagles full international squad for the African Cup of Nations in January, which could see him miss another month in the SPL.

McGhee said: “Grassi looks a good player. He is a left sided defender and we have to remember we could lose Sone Aluko to the World Youth Cup and the African Nations. We have the option of pushing Charlie Mulgrew forward, with Grassi at the back. The deal came about from a contact Willie Miller has at Espanyol. They will keep a stake in him and get a percentage of any sell-on fee.â€

McGhee will have to do without defender Zander Diamond and midfielder Gary McDonald for today’s trip to Lanarkshire as both are suffering from ankle injuries.

Shame he won't be involved today though. But welcome aboard the good ship Grassi!  :thumbsup:

We've signed him according to afc.co.uk - i'd copy and paste the article here, but I dont know how :(

My timing is fucking impeccable!

width=249 height=212http://images1.afc.premiumtv.co.uk/javaImages/92/a4/0,,10284~6988946,00.jpg[/img]

ABERDEEN Football Club have today (Thursday, 27 August) completed the signing of Italian defender Davide Grassi.

The 23 year old, who can play either as a left back or in central defence, has signed a one year deal after a successful trial period.

Grassi, who is a product of the Parma youth system, spoke to RedWeb shortly after penning his contract. He said: "I have enjoyed my time here on trial and I'm happy I impressed the manager enough to win a deal.

"I can't wait to play my first match in front of the home crowd and hopefully I will get my chance against Motherwell on Saturday," added the Italian.

Director of Football, Willie Miller, admitted the defender arrives at Pittodrie with a fantastic pedigree.

"We're delighted to have Davide on board for the season ahead," said Miller.

"He's a player who has come through the youth ranks at Parma so he has a good basis from which to develop as a player.

"He's a tall and powerful left sided defender and I know the manager has been impressed by what he's seen of him so far.

:lolabove:

Quite happy with this signing. EE also reporting today that we will not be trying to sign Mo Camera or Josh Walker.

I hope we don't sign the former and I doubt we'd sign the latter. Didn't he sign a new deal before he got injured last season? I heard Barry Nicholson had a double leg break on the weekend.