Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The Just In From The Match Thread...

Well not really, as I sat and watched it at home.  ;)

Disappointing start to the season, but not surprising given that we've only signed one player following the European exit/humiliation and that Celtic have invested for a title challenge. But still, 1-3 defeat is a poor result by any standards especially when you consider that the game was over before the half time whistle was blown.

Langfield, made some critical saves that could have seen a bigger goal margin. He flapped at a few crosses, but wasn't disasterous. I don't think there was much he could do for McGeady's second.

Duff at right back is just wrong. Mark please stop....now. He was severely lacking in tracking back and poses no challenge what so ever. By the time changes were made it was too late. Foster was industrious but he is of limited ability and it showed.

Diamond had one of his quieter matches and I think it will take a while to get the defence working as a unit. Ifil and Diamond should be a good pairing to build from providing they can work together.

Ifil had a decent debut. He did nothing outstanding but had a generally solid game. He brings strength and height to the defence which is needed, but I don't think distribution is a part of his game. The problems in our defence lie elsewhere.

Mulgrew had some decent crosses, corners, free kicks etc. I don't remember much else from him... fairly anonymous I'd say along with much of the rest of the team.

Miller, Mackie, McDonald, Kerr and Maguire all had a poor game and were largely invisible. It shows in the result. These players are responsible for leading the attack on the Celtic defence and they didn't trouble in the slightest. Whether that is in part due to good defensive work by Celtic or lack of effort or fitness by us I don't know. They just didn't seem motivated for this at all.

Paton was a welcome swap for Maguire and we looked to press after that. Celtic had almost given up at this point, but Paton did well. I thought Aluko had a good game and looks by far to be our fittest player, he looks stronger than last season too. He took his goal very well and gets my AFC MOTM.

On the whole, meh.  :-\

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Langfield had some good saves and was really unlucky with the 1st goal when it game back off fortune after he saved it. Think it could have been more but for him so he is my MOTM.

Just wonder if the player on the line should have taken a red card and saved the ball from going in.

Can't say I disagree with any of your comments Marky. I was glad to see Paton come on and I hope it makes Maguire think a bit. Personaly, I thought Miller was our worst performer today. I expected a lot more from him, some effort at least.

I'm going to go for Langfield as my MOTM, some vital saves, but Aluko would be a second choice.

Can't say I disagree with any of your comments Marky. I was glad to see Paton come on and I hope it makes Maguire think a bit. Personaly, I thought Miller was our worst performer today. I expected a lot more from him, some effort at least.

I'm going to go for Langfield as my MOTM, some vital saves, but Aluko would be a second choice.

Agree wholeheartedly with that. Langfield, Aluko and Paton were superb in an otherwise completely inept performance from the Dons.

Aluko took his goal brilliantly. Paton showed Maguire what a footballer looks like, and had a hand in just about every effort we had on goal.

But Langfield's saves kept the score semi-respectable. It could've been a LOT more considering the commentator mentioned that Celtic had 28 shots on goal.

Aluko I thought had a good 5 minutes then was nowhere to be seen until he scored, he also almost cost us a goal in the first half by trying to play football on the edge of the box.

Mackie when on wasn't that bad either, jeral gets my MOTM with Paton close behind him, I am really excited about young Paton got good pace and touch and isn't afraid to get involved unlike some other weegie type he replaced.

Agree wholeheartedly with that. Langfield, Aluko and Paton were superb in an otherwise completely inept performance from the Dons.

Aluko took his goal brilliantly. Paton showed Maguire what a footballer looks like, and had a hand in just about every effort we had on goal.

But Langfield's saves kept the score semi-respectable. It could've been a LOT more considering the commentator mentioned that Celtic had 28 shots on goal.

I was also impressed by Paton, Like to see him getting in the starting line up in the near future.

We were too exposed down the left throughout the 1st half. Mulgrew didnt know where people were. My mate who is a geordie and for some reason got a season ticket kept going on about it. 2nd half was a lot better. Superb finish by Aluko. Langfield would of been my MOTM. He could do nothing about the goals although I didnt see the 2nd as people were moving around in front of me so so I cant say if he could do anything about that. Contridiction(think thats how its spelt) I know

What exactly happened with Zander and Kerr?

After watching the first goal again I think Langfield is at fault. Sure, it's a hoor of an unlucky bounce off Fortune to McGeady's foot but there was no need to Langfield to come out to Fortune. He was wide enough to be covered by the defender there. Maybe shows a lack of confidence in his defence by Langfield.

Other than that though he played well. As did Paton.

McDonald, Mulgrew, Maguire and Duff were woeful and I hope McGhee hooking Duff before half time is a sign that he isn't scared to drop these players when they play shite.

What?  ???

Aluko was far from superb.  Took his goal brilliantly, did fuck all for the rest of the game.

See: Miller, Lee; Mackie, Darren; Kerr, Mark; Duff, Stuart; McDonald, Gary; Foster, Richard etc.

Aluko was the only threat of the game and took his goal superbly.

Yep I thought they were all pish apart from Langfield, Ifil and Paton.

EDIT: Foster wasn't too bad today by his standards.

I'll give you Paton. Langfield helped to avoid it being more embarrassing, but still did poorly for their first.

Ifil looked ordinary, nothing outstanding and still part of a defence that shipped three. I'd say Aluko's afternoon was certainly more productive.

Got to love arm chair fans, Mackie was alright, kept it simple and provided alot of cover for Foster which helped us alot in the second half.

See: Miller, Lee; Mackie, Darren; Kerr, Mark; Duff, Stuart; McDonald, Gary; Foster, Richard etc.

Aluko was the only threat of the game and took his goal superbly.

goal aside, Aluko was utterly rotten. If he plays like that again he's going to be getting a square arse on the bench for a long time.

I'm an armchair fan because I watched one match at home? So because I watched from home I didn't see what all the real fans at the match saw?

FYI tubby, I'm currently too ill to attend.

I couldn't give a flying fuck that you are too ill to attend, just saying that often the TV doesn't show what the fans at the game see.

Langfield had some good saves and was really unlucky with the 1st goal when it game back off fortune after he saved it. Think it could have been more but for him so he is my MOTM.

Just wonder if the player on the line should have taken a red card and saved the ball from going in.

should have stayed at the front post and let the defender do his job, a fucking catastrophic error, the angle was too tight to pass him at the post. Made some good saves but made a right backside of a few crosses also today. Needs to tidy his game up.

Agree that defence wasn't the shambles of last week, up the park though, utter bollocks. nae direction attacking and left trailing when celic pushed up the park.

3 of the back 4 I'd give pass marks, the rest could have been a lot better. Sure Aluko scored but has contributed far too little lately and we can't afford luxuries at Pittodrie when we're this poor.

Nice to see a manager who seemed as annoyed as I was for a change though.

should have stayed at the front post and let the defender do his job, a fucking catastrophic error, the angle was too tight to pass him at the post. Made some good saves but made a right backside of a few crosses also today. Needs to tidy his game up.

Agree that defence wasn't the shambles of last week, up the park though, utter bollocks. nae direction attacking and left trailing when celic pushed up the park.

3 of the back 4 I'd give pass marks, the rest could have been a lot better. Sure Aluko scored but has contributed far too little lately and we can't afford luxuries at Pittodrie when we're this poor.

Nice to see a manager who seemed as annoyed as I was for a change though.

It was his fucking fault we were so annoyed.  :hammer:

IMO - Miller was not in the game at all today,  granted we were not an attacking force at all today, but under Jimmy alot of the time Miller would be involved in the game because we would continuously pump the ball high up to him and he would win the flick on(or free kick). Under MMcG he seems to be trying to play it on the ground more, Do you think this will limit Millers involvement in the game more ??

For what is worth I thought Aluko was our best player today and I thought Paton made a difference when he replaced McGuire.

Thankfully Hamilton got a gubbing today and hopefully we should do them next Saturday,  hopefully (work permitting) I will make it to that one

Stand Free    :AFC2: