Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Poll: MGhee

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm getting pretty fed up with the clamour for McGhee.

I don't know much about his tenures at Reading or Leicester other than he started at Reading 17 years ago.

Surely enough time to prove himself IF he was genuinely any good.

At Wolves he couldn't spend Haywards millions well enough to even get into the Premiership let alone the first place those millions should have guaranteed him. Hayward was offering an unlimited budget to buy a whole new team if he had won promotion. Talk about motivation for the manager!!! Ultimately got the sack for not achieving targets.

After TWO years without work he joined Millwall and did what Jenny Kackett nearly did this season. Got a good Millwall team promoted. His best players got sold (sound familiar) and he walked.

Then he went to Brighton, probably the only genuine success in his career, Leon Knight scoring a shed load in his first season away from Chelsea, almost replacing the irreplaceable Zamora. Couldn't turn round Brightons fortunes without the Coppell inspired Zamora despite spending a LOT more and was sacked in his third season.

Motherwell, well I'm sure you can all tell me more about that tenure. One, out of the ordinary season, after another season on the scrapheap. Then back to mediocre bottom six performances.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brighton is his only genuine success???  :o

1st season: Wins the legue 1 playoff- Promotion

2nd season:Gets them to finish 20th out of 24 (Highest league finish in many years it may be but a success?)

3rd season: Relegated back to League 1

4th season: Sacked after 3 straight defeats

Id put taking a cash strapped, fresh from administration stuggling SPL team to 3rd place in 1 season as more successful than that.

And I still dont think he is the right man for the job.

Perhaps if he and Eric Black team up I might be won over but then again perhaps not

If we are choosing managers based on similar success to Mcghee's brighton record then we may aswell have Roy Aitken back

So would you say taking a tenth placed Murderwell team to third place in his first season may be comparable to Jimmy taking an eleventh placed Dons team to fourth place in his first season?

No more of a success if you ask me.

If, by the lowest common denominator you mean the Hat, then you are way of track here. 

Not sure what your point is bobby. I may not keep up with folk as well as I did, at the same time I'd like to think I'm not as far out of touch with reality that I'm taking AFCHAT as gospel. As far as I'm aware, from home, the clamour for McGhee is not confined to the inbreds on our cousins, sisters, aunties, son's site.

Dunno about you but im looking for someone that will improve on Calderwoods showing

Not just keep it ticking over

EXACTLY my point.

I'd rather we took a chance on someone who "might" improve things than someone who has shown his managerial capabilities are basically the same as Calderwood's.

Otherwise what was the point in shelling out getting rid of Jimmy?

Not sure what your point is bobby. I may not keep up with folk as well as I did, at the same time I'd like to think I'm not as far out of touch with reality that I'm taking AFCHAT as gospel. As far as I'm aware, from home, the clamour for McGhee is not confined to the inbreds on our cousins, sisters, aunties, son's site.

The only place where I've heard a collective support for McGhee was the Hat.  I've not heard it come from anywhere else, so the only way I could take your first statement was to assume it was in reference to the club bowing to their wishes. If that's not what you meant, blonde pigeons.  

Have we actually 'shelled out' for Calderwood and Co?

Hes apparenlty talking to the redheads and making sly digs at AFC but has it been confirmed that hes been paid off, or are we to see 'calderwood takes up post at <insert lower league english team here> in the next couple of days which might shed some light on why the rumours about him leaving were circulating almost a week before the hibs game?

The only place where I've heard a collective support for McGhee was the Hat.  I've not heard it come from anywhere else, so the only way I could take your first statement was to assume it was in reference to the club bowing to their wishes. If that's not what you meant, blonde pigeons.  

Honestly not what I meant, well maybe a wee dig ;D. I've been trying to limit my curious glances over there and have instead been speaking to my Dad and a few folk from back home. All of whom I'm not aware use fitba forums, I'm the only cunt with bairns and nothing better to do of an evening.

I really hope the board are listening to all applicants and make an informed decision based on the interviewees qualifications, personality and achievements. Not what is on their doorstep with the perceived achievements those candidates may bring.

Top six five years in a row wasn't enough for the aforementioned JMG mob. BUT why would less than that be enough for the less rabid members of our support?

Not sure where I'm going with this now, night night!

I really hope the board are listening to all applicants and make an informed decision based on the interviewees qualifications, personality and achievements. Not what is on their doorstep with the perceived achievements those candidates may bring.

Not a chance, buddy, not a chance.

I'm not convinced by mcghee at all. As has been said ad nauseum already- always seems to do well the first season at a club, then things slip from there. Happened again with motherwell too, despite just missing out on the top six to hibs. I have been really surprised he was touted for celtic after wee gordy went.

I think going for mcghee or black almost shows a lack of ambition by the club in going for easy options of ex-players who would get a lot of support/good will from the fans until things got more difficult. I fully appreciate we are limited by funds etc, but this almost seems to be a fait accompli and I just hope the board are seriously looking at all the cv's that have been sent in to try to find the best choice for the club.

This is a really important decision after the club has been stabilised by JC- we must progress a little bit more and not end up with a bad managerial choice and start slipping back into the mire again.

I think what I was trying to get at in my inebriated state was whether folk thought, that if the board were to appoint McGhee. Would it be seen as an appeasement of the fans.

i.e. Someone who is likely to do no better or worse than Calderwood but who's not likely to cause the fan's much consternation (due to his AFC background), therefore giving the board less hassle. With the added advantage of more time to get the club back onto a more stable financial footing. Rather than taking a calculated risk on someone who is younger who may take us to the fabled next level, or equally as likely take us back to the dark old days.

Folk say Miller's appointment as DoF was an appeasement of the fans. This to me, if it happens, smells no different.

has to be mcghee. It was always going to be him. Jimmy was sacked after dunfermline, alright he did not know it but he was. Board have had him in mind for weeks. He knows the spl, lower leagues in england, which can help with transfers. He knows aberdeen the city and the club.Infact i am convinced he is the man for the job. Somebody earlier also implied the board cant be bothered making the right decision for an easy life. Sorry but that is nonsense. And whoever wanted to know why rumours were circulating about jimmy a week before hibs its because the decision was already made then and jimmy knew it. Simple as that.

fair comment about eggs and basket. I did not mean to come across like that. He would be my number one choice. If we dont get him then i look to mcinnes. Hughes, jeffries, butcher etc fill me with dread. Would love to say mcinnes with windass as number two but alas the new man must choose his own.

fair comment about eggs and basket. I did not mean to come across like that. He would be my number one choice. If we dont get him then i look to mcinnes. Hughes, jeffries, butcher etc fill me with dread. Would love to say mcinnes with windass as number two but alas the new man must choose his own.

Mciness has what, one season of magerial experience, no thank you :hammer:

there's a lot of managers that no-one's mentioned who should be considered.

we need a manager who will let the team express themselves.  It needs to be a man who has knowledge of the game here, in England and abroad, someone like Martinez at Swansea fits the bill for me although I believe Wigan are interested in him if Steve Bruce goes to Sunderland.

I would like to see Aidy Boothroyd appointed along with someone who's been at the club as a player.  Boothroyd has had some time out of the game and surely a club like Aberdeen would be tempting for him.  What are your thoughts on Boothroyd.

My thoughts are that until the whole money-football relationship comes to a crashing halt down Englandshire it will be ni-on impossible for any scottish club outside the old firm to tempt any manager from down south unless he has been sitting on his ass for several months with no offers.

Aberdeen may be a name but as my Dad (Argyle fan) pointed out, we also suffer from the 'oh thats fucking miles away, im not going there' that Plagued Plymouth for many years.

Im almost resigned to Mcghee being hired in the next 2 weeks and since I have slowly been losing interest in the day to day runnings of AFC these last few weeks I dont think i really care if they do

However if I see of hear of John Hughes or Jim jeffries anywhere near the city of Aberdeen ....

[flash=200,200]

I dont envy the people in my office

Tom that video is a doozer, def going to put that on my face book page!!!!!!

I dont want a manager from down south, i think it is really important we get in someone that grew up with scottish football and knows it inside out.  Why?  Because we are so dependant on youth development and a scottish  manager will have a better understanding of the mentality of young scottish players.