Euro 2024 - 🇩🇪 Germany v 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland - kick-off 8pm

Stuff wot i found on teh internetz

Guest Nellie The Don

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or for people who like cars with a soul and character.  :thumbsup:

what like the honda civic or the nissan primera?  They really dont.

Anytime someone asks me about cars i say buy german or japanese as you cant go far wrong with either.  I just prefer German motors, to each their own though. Arguments like this are as pointless as arguing over which is the better game console

what like the honda civic or the nissan primera?  They really dont.

Anytime someone asks me about cars i say buy german or japanese as you cant go far wrong with either.  I just prefer German motors, to each their own though. Arguments like this are as pointless as arguing over which is the better game console

Exactly! Everybody knows all the best cars are Italian.

1991_fiat_tipo-pic-3586710460805819798.jpeg

105.jpg

1994.fiat.punto.selecta.arp.750pix.jpg

Oh, and PS3 FTW.

Or for people who like cars with a soul and character.  :thumbsup:

Seriously?

More recently there's been some classics, Hondas in particular, but I don't see that at all.

Soul and character? More likely Italian than Japanese or German. Want a reliable good handling motor? German or Japanese. Soul and character without the reliability? Italian all the way. Though, for every Alfa GTA there's a Tipo or a Bravia!!

I've had 2 Hondas, but drive an Audi now because I'm minted.  ;) 

All good, reliable cars, but the A4 (for example) is better looking than the latest Accord IMHO opinion. The old shape Accords (2000 ish) were good looking motors.

My next car might be a big fuck-off truck thing, possibly Japanese.

I can almost understand Alfas. They're a bit different but like all affordable Italian cars there's no reliability so fuck 'em.

99% of new cars look gash and have inferior performance to their older siblings. For example the new Civics are slower and uglier than the previous generation Civics. It's partly due to stricter emissions guidelines I think (hope). In the 90's Japan easily produced the world's finest and most reliable motors which is why you still see so many of them today.

German/Jap? Each to their own. Jap owns German every day of the week for me. For looks, reliability and quality. Little things like my current Mazda having a non-interference engine (meaning if the cam belt snaps you won't need a new engine as it does no damage) whereas my Polo (whilst it turned out to be very reliable) had an interference engine so that if the cam belt went the engine would need to be replaced (as it would be cheaper than repairing the damage) make all the different in my opinion. Better engineering.

I can almost understand Alfas. They're a bit different but like all affordable Italian cars there's no reliability so fuck 'em.

99% of new cars look gash and have inferior performance to their older siblings. For example the new Civics are slower and uglier than the previous generation Civics. It's partly due to stricter emissions guidelines I think (hope). In the 90's Japan easily produced the world's finest and most reliable motors which is why you still see so many of them today.

German/Jap? Each to their own. Jap owns German every day of the week for me. For looks, reliability and quality. Little things like my current Mazda having a non-interference engine (meaning if the cam belt snaps you won't need a new engine as it does no damage) whereas my Polo (whilst it turned out to be very reliable) had an interference engine so that if the cam belt went the engine would need to be replaced (as it would be cheaper than repairing the damage) make all the different in my opinion. Better engineering.

Hondas are built in Swindon, Nissans in Sunderland. Even the Mitsubishis that everyone wants are put together here.

When the timing belt slipped on  my Polo I didn't need a new engine, so that is the biggest load of regurgitated dealer guff I've ever read. The car went into a safe mode mode limiting my revs and power and a light came on telling me to take it to the dealer and that was a 51 plate. As for Japanese looks, reliability and quality...

Rattling, wind noise infested, dated, oil hungry and abused wrecks are a few phrases that would describe most 90's ricers. They may have looked modern and been some of the fastest motors in their day but the economies of building Porsche baiter's with an RRP of a Golf GTi means the build quality is not there. Likewise the type of drivers who were tempted by such cars points to them being thrashed to within an inch of their mechanical lives on a daily basis.

As for tighter emissions being the reason the new Civics are slower than the older model, VAG managed to build an engine with 50 more bhp as standard than the previous generation while also making it more green.

I quite like Jap cars and have considered buying a Scooby on a couple of occasions, but to claim they're better looking and better built than German cars is a bit of a misnomer, even being faster and more reliable is barely true nowadays.

Hondas are built in Swindon, Nissans in Sunderland. Even the Mitsubishis that everyone wants are put together here.

When the timing belt slipped on  my Polo I didn't need a new engine, so that is the biggest load of regurgitated dealer guff I've ever read. The car went into a safe mode mode limiting my revs and power and a light came on telling me to take it to the dealer and that was a 51 plate. As for Japanese looks, reliability and quality...

Rattling, wind noise infested, dated, oil hungry and abused wrecks are a few phrases that would describe most 90's ricers. They may have looked modern and been some of the fastest motors in their day but the economies of building Porsche baiter's with an RRP of a Golf GTi means the build quality is not there. Likewise the type of drivers who were tempted by such cars points to them being thrashed to within an inch of their mechanical lives on a daily basis.

As for tighter emissions being the reason the new Civics are slower than the older model, VAG managed to build an engine with 50 more bhp as standard than the previous generation while also making it more green.

I quite like Jap cars and have considered buying a Scooby on a couple of occasions, but to claim they're better looking and better built than German cars is a bit of a misnomer, even being faster and more reliable is barely true nowadays.

Timing belt slipping and snapping are two different things by the sounds of things and would therefore require different methods of repair. The fact is if my timing belt goes, I replace it and continue to drive. German cars tend to have interference belts so if they snap then you better have some money left over for the repair. Not saying it's a huge deal because anyone should be maintaining their motor and changing the belts when recommended but this is one of the points that to me shows that the Jap engineering is that bit more clever and their engines are known for their durability.

Rattling? When I bought my Polo it had the loudest rattle I'd ever heard! It was a cheap and easy fix but rattles normally are. The hardest part is isolating them. It's complete nonsense to try to imply for a minute that the part in bold is prone to happening to Japanese cars in particular. All cars develop rattles and such like when they're 10-20 years old. I'd bet there are more 90's "ricers" on the roads still than 90's German cars down to be better engine quality and durability. Dated looks etc is all down to personal preference at the end of the day.

Not really sure at the point you're making about the cars being assembled here? The ones for Britain and Europe may be assembled here but they're still designed at HQ in Japan and there are still massive Honda, Mazda and Mitsubishi plants in Japan. They don't get us to build their cars and ship them over there. BT have tech support in India and get the vast majority of their products manufactured abroad.

The "type of drivers" argument could again be applied to pretty much any remotely desirable brand/model of performance (but affordable) car. All opinions. Car enthusiats will always enjoy pushing their cars.

Follwoing on from the motor vehicle debate, I can vouch for Hondas although the power range does tend to come at high revs.  Therefore, for mid-range torque, the finest motor vehicle ever created was the thinking man's BMW itself, the SAAB 900 Turbo:

1108416.jpg

I sold this wonderful vehicle for a 50% profit earlier this year and I wish I'd kept it.  The complete motor vehicle, easily leave behind a 5-series at traffic lights, even with an Ikea wardrobe in the boot.

Follwoing on from the motor vehicle debate, I can vouch for Hondas although the power range does tend to come at high revs.  Therefore, for mid-range torque, the finest motor vehicle ever created was the thinking man's BMW itself, the SAAB 900 Turbo:

1108416.jpg

I sold this wonderful vehicle for a 50% profit earlier this year and I wish I'd kept it.  The complete motor vehicle, easily leave behind a 5-series at traffic lights, even with an Ikea wardrobe in the boot.

Older cars just seem quicker. The Honda Civics, primarily the Type R variants, are being deleted in Europe because of emissions standards, very sad as they are cracking cars, though Honda did manage to make a great car shite with the new Type R.

Personal experience tells me that Alfas are actually reliable, though that's just from 1 145 cloverleaf and a 147. Nothing went wrong with either motor.

Japanese motors are very reliable. I just haven't liked very many of them and think Lancias and Alfas have been more characterful and better looking over the years. Not exclusively at all, both have produced some fucking pigs and both have enormous reliability issues to put it mildly.

But I like German motors, I have one, my last one was German and I expect my next one will be too UNLESS I manage to find an Alfa 147 GTA that hasn't had the balls rocked off it.