Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Attendance figures

I noticed today that, newly promoted to the English Premier league, Wolves have an average attendance of 24k. Wolverhampton has a similar population to that of Aberdeen. Perhaps the surrounding area is more densely populated but I doubt that it would be by that much. Aberdeen are in a better situation than Wolves when it comes to opportunity for competing for top honours. The football on offer in the English second tier is, arguably, of a similar standard to that of the SPL. I can't figure out why Wolves would have such a better supported football team than us by a considerable margin? Am I missing something fundamental? Is it down to dominance of the Old Firm? If so, why didn't we fill the ground every week when the club was at the peak of its' success in the 80's?

The West Midlands itself has a higher population than Scotland -

obviously more fitba clubs but given that i've been to pittodrie when 36k have been there

i do wonder what reason is for so many giving up.

The average when we were the team in the 80's was about 18k and for a city with

a population of 210k - compared to the 240k in Wolverhampton, so there's is better.

Maybe fitba aint that important up here anymore.

The easy access to watching EPL, La Liga and Serie A where people can watch much better football in their own home.

Computer games, other sports and high prices for poor quality football don't help though.

There are numerous reasons for people not going to watch football and it's not just because people are pissed off with the manager.

I think overkill of live matches on tv and cost of getting in are pretty high up in reasons why crowds dropped.

Guest Nellie The Don

Perhaps the surrounding area is more densely populated but I doubt that it would be by that much.

This part is key, I feel.  Without checking up on figures, I would think that the area surrounding wolverhampton would far, far more densely populated than the typical catchment area for dons fans.

This part is key, I feel.  Without checking up on figures, I would think that the area surrounding wolverhampton would far, far more densely populated than the typical catchment area for dons fans.

But then again, you could argue that there are far more teams to choose from in the surrounding areas. I mean with what, a 30/40 mile radius, you have City, Villa, West Brom, Wolves, Mansfield ;)

I guess my point is, there are not even many professional teams around Aberdeen whereas the football fan in the Midlands has a number to choose from.

But then again, you could argue that there are far more teams to choose from in the surrounding areas. I mean with what, a 30/40 mile radius, you have City, Villa, West Brom, Wolves, Mansfield ;)

I guess my point is, there are not even many professional teams around Aberdeen whereas the football fan in the Midlands has a number to choose from.

It doesn't help that Aberdeenshire has more huns than Glasgow.  :hammer:

Guest Nellie The Don

If you include the whole of the west midlands in Wolverhampton's catchment area, though, you would need to include most of Scotland in Aberdeen's for a comparable population. Thus the teams in a comparable population catchment area for us would include the old firm, the dundee teams, hearts and hibs, motherwell etc.

If you include the whole of the west midlands in Wolverhampton's catchment area, though, you would need to include most of Scotland in Aberdeen's for a comparable population. Thus the teams in a comparable population catchment area for us would include the old firm, the dundee teams, hearts and hibs, motherwell etc.

If that's the case then that is probably it. I couldn't be arsed researching and assumed wrongly. Padre is probably right when it comes to the Old Firm factor as well. Thread closed.

I dont think our attendances are helped by the fact that there is a lot foreign invaders working in the oil industry that have moved to  aberdeen.  No danger most of them give a shit about aberdeen or even scottish football

And Dundee, Inverness, Edinburgh, Stirling, Perth & Glasgow are all 100% scottish aint they  ::)