Celtic v Aberdeen

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vennegoor apparently will be fit, fuck it, he has a good record against us. Diamond and Miller out, not ideal.

Is Diamond out? I thought he was coming back into the team this week?

Anyway,

In or Out : Out

Pre Match: My Flat

Where: Some boozer on the Gallowgate

Post Match: My flat working on my dissertation  :hammer:

We beat Celts with kids – you can do it too

Former Aberdeen FC youngster CRAIG HIGGINS on a famous win

By Sean Wallace

Published: 17/04/2009

MO-GO: Higgins slides in to stop Celtic’s Momo Sylla as the Dons shocked the Hoops.

More Pictures

FORGOTTEN Don Craig Higgins helped Aberdeen FC shock Celtic at Parkhead with a team full of untested kids.

Now at central belt junior club Arthurlie, Higgins was part of an injury-decimated Aberdeen FC team that dumped Celtic 2-1 in April 2004, despite fielding nine players under 21.

That win broke the Hoops’ phenomenal 77-game unbeaten home run.

And the centre-back, now 23, reckons if they could stun the Bhoys with kids, Jimmy Calderwood’s current Aberdeen FC side can dump the league leaders tomorrow.

He said: “No one gave Aberdeen FC a chance ahead of that game, and people were saying it would be damage limitation for us.

“The majority of that team were players who had very little first team experience, up against a full strength Celtic with Henrik Larsson up front.

“But we beat them, and did it with kids.

“If we can do that, Aberdeen FC can definitely cause an upset tomorrow.

“Aberdeen FC are a good side and have already beaten Celtic 4-2 at home this season.

“They should have absolutely nothing to fear.â€

Playing only his second senior game ever, Higgins was up against Swedish legend Larsson, the SPL’s most prolific goalscorer.

When Larsson scored on 16 minutes, and with memories of a 7-0 humiliation the previous season, it was feared the young Dons would fold.

But they didn’t as Higgins outfought Larsson for every ball.

And he insists the Dons must show the same attitude tomorrow.

“After Larsson scored, I had a 50/50 challenge with him and I won the ball but went clean through and took him out,†he said.

“It should have been a free-kick for Celtic, but I got away with it and it fazed Larsson.

“Before that challenge, he thought he was in for a free ride because he was up against young kids.

“He was wrong, and that challenge showed him that.

“The best way to beat Celtic is to get right in their faces and let them know they are in a game, and Aberdeen FC must do that.

“If you stand back and admire them, you are in trouble.â€

Aberdeen FC hit back through Bryan Prunty before Aussie striker David Zdrilic grabbed the winner in injury time.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REST OF THE 2004 SIDE?

DAVID PREECE: Now with Danish club Odense but is planning to move back to Britain in the summer.

RICHARD BUCKLEY: Recently released by Second Division strugglers Stranraer.

RICHARD FOSTER: First team regular with Aberdeen and set to start against Celtic tomorrow.

SCOTT MORRISON: Enjoyed a spell at Dunfermline before moving to Ross County.

KEVIN RUTKIEWICZ: Captain of First Division St Johnstone and set to lift to the league title.

MARKUS HEIKKINEN: Now at Austrian side SK Rapid Vienna. Was at Luton Town for two seasons after leaving the Dons.  :(

PAUL SHEERIN: Set to win the First Division league title with St Johnstone. Moved to Saints from Pittodrie in summer 2004.

STEVE TOSH: At Queen of the South. Since leaving the Dons has played in two Scottish Cup finals, with Queens and Gretna.

DAVID ZDRILIC: With Sydney United in his native Australia playing in the New South Wales Premier League.

SCOTT MUIRHEAD: At First Division Dunfermline, and set to feature in the Scottish Cup semi-final against Falkirk.

SUB: BRYAN PRUNTY: Top scorer for Ayr United this season, leading them to the top of Division Two.

MANAGER

STEVE PATERSON: Out of the game after being sacked by the Dons and Peterhead.

TO read the full interview with Craig Higgins, pick up a copy of today’s Evening Express

Speaking to a couple of mates tonight - nae hot heids - but even they see us going down at least 3-0 tomorrow. Difficult to know where our goals could come from - except maybe a Mulgrew set piece or a Tommy Wright bullet header. At least the defence has been reasonably solid for the past few weeks.

Just need big Zander chops to keep focussed for the whole game. If Zander wants to be Cap'n he should start taking on the leader's role. I hope it's not a skelping - mind you - a skelping might be just what they need to give them a boot up the arse for the post split fixtures instead of plodding along seemingly not too worried about pushing for the win.

Tis a bit of a catch 22 situation I feel, we win, they'll get comfortable again. We lose say 2-1, they think they are playing fine and results will come, 3-0 humping, should give them a kick up the arse, but its a 3-0 humping to those tri-colour waving cunts!  :-\

Yeah - but we need all the points we can get and can't afford to lose any margin in the goal difference when it's that tight.

So all things considered, they'd be better off just going out and winning the fuckin game for us!!!

No totally! Because I fear once we lose fourth, I don't see us getting it back. So i'd rather go all guns blazing. Nothing to lose!

COME ON YOU REDS!

:ultras: :ultras: :ultras:

p.s. Game is on a certain myp2p website as well (admin delete if inappropriate!)

also on Polsat and one of the Sky Calcio channels so should be showing in pubs for those not going.

I hope these two mates of mine that are throwing their lives away in unholy humanist matrimony tomorrow get the whole deal finished by 3pm so I can get score updates without ruining the ceremony!

Was gonna goto a pub on the gallowgate for it but everyone I know has chickened out of it  :hammer: You know who you are!  >:D

Just make sure no-one says anything at that important moment when the priest/or relevant person asks if anyone has any reason for them not to bound in hold matromony!

Dons chase some bonus points at Parkhead

Pressure is all on Celtic, says aberdeen manager

By Michael Gannon

Published: 18/04/2009

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood is looking forward to a match where the pressure will be all on his rivals.

The Dons manager has ridden out the storm in recent weeks after his side’s Scottish Cup exit at the hands of Dunfermline.

Securing top six SPL status has eased some of the criticism before today’s trip to Celtic and he believes it will be the Hoops who will be feeling the heat at Parkhead.

Celtic’s lead at the top of the SPL was cut to just one point following their 1-1 draw at Hearts last week and will be expected to bounce back against the Dons in front of 60,000 supporters.

Celtic Park holds no fears for Calderwood, however, after his Reds had their pockets picked in the 3-2 defeat last September and in the 1-0 loss last April.

They managed to win 1-0 in the Scottish Cup replay last term and Calderwood, who will be without attackers Lee Miller and Darren Mackie, who are suspended and injured respectively, said: “The pressure on us after the Dunfermline debacle has been immense but we still clinched a top-six place. This time there is no pressure because everyone expects us to lose.

“Football is a strange game and anything we take from Parkhead will be a bonus.

“There is no fear on our part, no one is shaking at the prospect, because we have won there before and we are going there to win again.â€

Dons centre back Zander Diamond, who scored a double in the Dons 4-2 win against the Hoops at Pittodrie in January, returns after recovering from an ankle injury.

I missed it yesterday, but according to the P&J, I assume JC looks to play 4-5-1 with Wright leading the attack.

Wright as a lone striker is not the way forward.

Indeed, I personally don't think we should be playing 4-5-1 (if we do play 4-5-1 of course). A lone striker will not work, we need to play 4-4-2 because otherwise the two clodhoppers will sweep up and ball that is knocked up to them.