Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Strikers?

Must admit, as sad as this sounds, was quite relieved that Mackie didn't take a pen.  It was all set up for him to miss the crucial penalty and given folk another excuse to round on him.

Its no excuse the man is gash but last night he was no more gash than the rest

maybe if you thought for a while why people round on mackie instead of defending him all the time

but then again last week when i posted about wanting rid of calderwood all on here defended him..

A week is a long time in football after all  ;D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to radio Scotland last night, I feared the worst when Chick Young uttered the words Richard Foster and Stuart Duff will be taking penalties. I was also very surprised that they sent up Duff first, but to be fair he was up for it and stuck it away (although I did think the worst when I heard it smack off the post). I would have thought that Smith/Mackie/Wright would have been up first.

Anyone know who was destined to take the last pen for us?

we shouldnt of needed a player to take a pen, it should of been over in the 90 mins...but yea we need a henrik larsson type of player!

Can't argue with that, you gonna fund him though? ;) The thing is though, as has been covered on the other thread, I think if Tommy Wright had a) started (with Mackie coming late on to stretch the play if necessary) or b) Wright had come on 40 mins earler, I think it wouldn't have gone into extra time etc. He made a very positive impact when he came on. I just wish JC had seen what was so blatently obvious to us all!

Aye, maybe Tommy Wright should have started with Mackie as a super-sub... if's... buts... maybes...

Why the fuck did folk boo when Aluko got taken off? He can barely last 90 mins never mind over 100! A friend had a Luton fan along with him and the Luton fan had commented about 2 mins previously how Aluko looked "fucked". These "booooooos" for everything are a fuckin nonsense. When, and I believe it is when we get our new boss, how long before we have to suffer the boo-boys again. I fear it won't be long.

Completely agree. I forgot to add that bit in really, but that was my point in a roundaboutish way ;) Aluko did look knackered and i'm not surprised. Did a lot of running.

Just because your a striker it does not mean you're a penalty taker. It all comes down to who has the bottle and who doesn't.

Ridiculous thread IMO. Expect this pish over on afc-chat.

I dont agree with this.  Fair enough if a penalty comes during a game and you have a set penalty taker but in a shoot out?  No chance.  If you play up front scoring important goals is your job, any striker worth their salt is going to take a pen in a shootout.

I dont agree with this.  Fair enough if a penalty comes during a game and you have a set penalty taker but in a shoot out?  No chance.  If you play up front scoring important goals is your job, any striker worth their salt is going to take a pen in a shootout.

Even if you have "better options"? Seve used to hit our pens on a regular basis.

As I said, Duncan Shearer's penalties were garbage. Consisted of him leathering the ball straight down the middle and the keeper would save it.  Was he not a striker "worth his salt" because of that?

I do agree that our strikers aren't great, miller has been doing well, playing the target man that our simplistic tactics dictate. As a consequence of this he rarely is in the box when balls come in. Mackie's a tryer, " if a bit pish ". MacGuire has a real chance but we need to get the ball down and play football instead of asking him or the others to feed on Miller's scraps. Wright ( let's not go there, too many adjectives so little time. ) lets just say that if this is Jimmy's idea of a quality addition I'd rather he went before he adds any more. I couldn't believe how little regard JC had for lovell who again has proven himself as a goalscorer. Issue with the gaffer and tactics deployed rather than someone to find the pokey. Doesn't matter who came in to play up front, we don't create enough to feet in and around the box and defenders are always favourite for crosses

Holy sh*t, are you 10 years old?  Just because you're a striker doesn't mean you're automatically going to be good at set-pieces. 

Some can't deal with pressure.  Some thrive on it. 

Some can't take set-pieces.  Some are experts when it comes to deadball situations. 

Some aren't confident when it comes to outsmarting a goalkeeper.  Some relish the opportunity. 

Some can't build the confidence on certain occasions.  Some gain confidence from these opportunities. 

Some do things on instinct and hate having time to think.  Some make a decision and stick with it knowing what the end result will be.

I really fail to see what it is you can't grasp from that.  Unless of course you're just ranting because you're still wound up.  :-\

It pains me to say this, seeing as it's from ??? , but I agree with every point above  :-\

I think he's just saying we need a proper striker are you not D_D?

It doesn't really have anything to do with penalties, just the absolute lack of shooting or composure shown by our "team".

Well he mentions penalties a few times in the original post. Complaining that strikers didn't take the penalties. So I guess it will have something to do with the penalties.

Sorry I went a bit Robo there!

Even if you have "better options"? Seve used to hit our pens on a regular basis.

As I said, Duncan Shearer's penalties were garbage. Consisted of him leathering the ball straight down the middle and the keeper would save it.  Was he not a striker "worth his salt" because of that?

Yes but he was not afraid to take them

you only need to look at any other team in the world and see if you can find one where the main strikers dont take pens in a penalty shootout.

correct me if im wrong (although we still had one to take any idea who that was)

im pretty much in agreement that a striker should be hungry to take a penalty, not shying away, in the end severin and foster will take stick for there penalties.....but at least they stepped up.

end o the day, shouldnt of mattered if our strikers can take penalties, defenders can take penalties or our keeper can take them.....it should never have went that far.

Do we actually have any out and out strikers at the club?

In my opinion we have been missing this for some time - perhaps since Stavrum/Deano/Dodds and even Shearer.

I think it really hit home when it came to the penalties - Duff, Severin, Mulgrew and Foster? OK Miller might have taken one had he been fit, but he is definitely not a clinical finisher. My understanding was that this is why we bought Wright - clearly not?

Surely Mackie and Wright should have been first up to take these penalties? This is what they are paid X amount of thousands a year to do - kick a ball between two posts.

Fair play in my opinion to Foster for having the guts to take one - even though he knew if he missed he would take dogs abuse from the fans, many of whom are extremely quick to give the guy a hard time.

Mackie was injured. Smith would have hit the fifth one. Duff, Severin, Mulgrew and Foster all said they wanted to hit one and volunteered to do so.

You cant criticise players who have the bottle to at least step up and take a penalty. If our strikers are gutless in 120 minutes then is it a surprise that none of them were up for a penalty kick.

Still its ok as Calderwood insists we only need one player over the summer.

I don't buy into the notion that strikers aren't necessarily good penalty takers.

Over the past two decades, strikers have been asked to do more work further down the field and have been aptly renamed "forwards". But the thruth of the matter is, they are the players who play at the goal-scoring end of the field. It is their job to put the ball in the net. If they are no use at penalty taking (what should really be the EASIEST opportunity to put the ball in the net) then they cannot call themselves strikers.

I mean let's face it, if they don't have the confidence to hit a target that is 8ft tall and 24ft wide (with the only obstacle being a goalkeeper who is maybe 6ft tall by 1.5-2ft wide) with no defenders to deal with then the question that arises is why is a professional club that is in the top four paying clubs in the country still fielding this person on the pitch?

Dress a striker up with whatever other jobs around the pitch you want to. The fact of the matter is, a striker is called a striker because it is his job to STRIKE the ball towards goal.

I don't buy into the notion that strikers aren't necessarily good penalty takers.

Over the past two decades, strikers have been asked to do more work further down the field and have been aptly renamed "forwards". But the thruth of the matter is, they are the players who play at the goal-scoring end of the field. It is their job to put the ball in the net. If they are no use at penalty taking (what should really be the EASIEST opportunity to put the ball in the net) then they cannot call themselves strikers.

I mean let's face it, if they don't have the confidence to hit a target that is 8ft tall and 24ft wide (with the only obstacle being a goalkeeper who is maybe 6ft tall by 1.5-2ft wide) with no defenders to deal with then the question that arises is why is a professional club that is in the top four paying clubs in the country still fielding this person on the pitch?

Dress a striker up with whatever other jobs around the pitch you want to. The fact of the matter is, a striker is called a striker because it is his job to STRIKE the ball towards goal.

Think you seem to be gloriously missing the point that most are making. Comes down to bottle. They have pretty much one minute to walk towards the goal, possibly panicking about not missing and being the scapegoat from thousands of angry fans while there is also plenty of £££'s on the line in bonuses and what not, plus the chance for team mates to have a chance of winning some silverware.

Not just as simple as hitting the ball in between a few white sticks.

Think you seem to be gloriously missing the point that most are making. Comes down to bottle. They have pretty much one minute to walk towards the goal, possibly panicking about not missing and being the scapegoat from thousands of angry fans while there is also plenty of £££'s on the line in bonuses and what not, plus the chance for team mates to have a chance of winning some silverware.

Not just as simple as hitting the ball in between a few white sticks.

If they do not have the bottle to stick away a penalty from 12 yards then how do you have faith in them to have the bottle to stick away a chance in a big game? If a striker does not have the bottle to take a penalty he should not be playing the professional game.

If they do not have the bottle to stick away a penalty from 12 yards then how do you have faith in them to have the bottle to stick away a chance in a big game? If a striker does not have the bottle to take a penalty he should not be playing the professional game.

Because a striker acts and reacts on instinct, where it requires no thought.  You've watched football for a long time, I believe Jute, and you've not realised this?

:thumbsup:

How can a striker call himself a PROFESSIONAL footballer if he doesn't have the bottle to do what he is paid to do?

Dressing it down by saying things like "a striker is expected to do a lot more around the pitch these days, there's a whole lot more going on with them than just sticking the ball in the back of the net" is perhaps a sign that many Aberdeen fans have grown to accept mediocrity as being okay at Aberdeen.

I'm sorry, but I would exchange ALL of the strikers currently on Aberdeen's books for one player in the mould of Frank McDougall, Duncan Shearer or Dean Windass. These players were not flash, but WOW they did the job of getting the ball in the back of the net.

Even if it meant playing a 4-5-1 formation, I'd be confident that someone in the mould of Shearer would hit the back of the net a hell of a lot more than our current crop of strikers forwards

And let's face it, you're never going to win games unless you've got someone to hit the back of the net (as we've seen over the past two months in particular)

:thumbsup:

How can a striker call himself a PROFESSIONAL footballer if he doesn't have the bottle to do what he is paid to do?

Dressing it down by saying things like "a striker is expected to do a lot more around the pitch these days, there's a whole lot more going on with them than just sticking the ball in the back of the net" is perhaps a sign that many Aberdeen fans have grown to accept mediocrity as being okay at Aberdeen.

I'm sorry, but I would exchange ALL of the strikers currently on Aberdeen's books for one player in the mould of Frank McDougall, Duncan Shearer or Dean Windass. These players were not flash, but WOW they did the job of getting the ball in the back of the net.

Even if it meant playing a 4-5-1 formation, I'd be confident that someone in the mould of Shearer would hit the back of the net a hell of a lot more than our current crop of strikers forwards

And let's face it, you're never going to win games unless you've got someone to hit the back of the net (as we've seen over the past two months in particular)

+1 there seems to be an acceptance of mediocrity on this forum as far as strikers are concerned and when you say anything wrong about one you are shot down in flames..

+1 there seems to be an acceptance of mediocrity on this forum as far as strikers are concerned and when you say anything wrong about one you are shot down in flames..

That just simply isn't true. There is undoubtedly a collective sense on this forum that we should be taking a wider scope and a more rational viewpoint when analysing the football, the players and the performances. To say that we are all accepting of mediocrity and that you are not allowed to criticise players is such a childish comment and only serves to back up why you are 'shot down in flames' so often.

There is undoubtedly a collective sense on this forum that we should be taking a wider scope and a more rational viewpoint when analysing the football, the players and the performances.

That is not true with the exception of a few posters including yourself

Most would rather argue and trade insults