Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Strikers?

Do we actually have any out and out strikers at the club?

In my opinion we have been missing this for some time - perhaps since Stavrum/Deano/Dodds and even Shearer.

I think it really hit home when it came to the penalties - Duff, Severin, Mulgrew and Foster? OK Miller might have taken one had he been fit, but he is definitely not a clinical finisher. My understanding was that this is why we bought Wright - clearly not?

Surely Mackie and Wright should have been first up to take these penalties? This is what they are paid X amount of thousands a year to do - kick a ball between two posts.

Fair play in my opinion to Foster for having the guts to take one - even though he knew if he missed he would take dogs abuse from the fans, many of whom are extremely quick to give the guy a hard time.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must admit, as sad as this sounds, was quite relieved that Mackie didn't take a pen.  It was all set up for him to miss the crucial penalty and given folk another excuse to round on him.

Completely agree. I did think though (didn't realise it was Foster at the time) that when he ran up to take his penalty, it all happened too quickly and you could just tell he was going to miss. I couldn't believe it was actually Foster taking the penalty.

It probably means nothing really, but if Severin had the bottle to take a penatly then surely as captain he should have gone first?

Thought about that today and agree. But on the other side of the coin, if the captain misses the first one theres a good chance everyone else that isn't too confident will be shitting themselves too.

Just because your a striker it does not mean you're a penalty taker. It all comes down to who has the bottle and who doesn't.

Ridiculous thread IMO. Expect this pish over on afc-chat.

Bollocks - these guys are being paid several thousand pounds but can't kick the ball between the posts because they don't have the bottle? I could understand if it was the World Cup Final, or even the Scottish Cup Final but in a game against Dunfermline at home?

And as far a the comparison with Shearer goes - he WAS a prolific striker - that's the fcking point though - we don't have one! We haven't had one for years, and if we had then it probably wouldn't have went to a penalty shoot out. Having failed to score in 120 mins these fuckers should be standing up and being counted instead of hiding like scared wee boys in case they couldn't do their jobs. Their job is to put the ball in the back of the net, that's what strikers do. But yet we send Foster up - and most rational fans within Pittodrie knew he was going to miss. I could just about understand if either Mackie or Wright didn't want to take one - but both of them? It wasn't life or death - it was a football match and if they missed then we wouldn't be any worse off.

I am fed up with all the excuses that these players get - they are not good enough and the manager isn't good enough.

Bollocks - these guys are being paid several thousand pounds but can't kick the ball between the posts because they don't have the bottle? I could understand if it was the World Cup Final, or even the Scottish Cup Final but in a game against Dunfermline at home?

And as far a the comparison with Shearer goes - he WAS a prolific striker - that's the fcking point though - we don't have one! We haven't had one for years, and if we had then it probably wouldn't have went to a penalty shoot out. Having failed to score in 120 mins these fuckers should be standing up and being counted instead of hiding like scared wee boys in case they couldn't do their jobs. Their job is to put the ball in the back of the net, that's what strikers do. But yet we send Foster up - and most rational fans within Pittodrie knew he was going to miss. I could just about understand if either Mackie or Wright didn't want to take one - but both of them? It wasn't life or death - it was a football match and if they missed then we wouldn't be any worse off.

I am fed up with all the excuses that these players get - they are not good enough and the manager isn't good enough.

I don't understand your point? Your saying they didn't manage to score in 120 minutes so that means they should definitely be taking pens to redeem themselves? I know people that aren't confident enough to take pens at Amateur level.

Really don't see what your trying to say here?

I don't understand your point? Your saying they didn't manage to score in 120 minutes so that means they should definitely be taking pens to redeem themselves? I know people that aren't confident enough to take pens at Amateur level.

Really don't see what your trying to say here?

As I said in my OP, the point is we don't have a prolific striker and we seriously need one.

And as you say 'Amateur' football - this professional football. You miss, then you miss. That's life - but it isn't that difficult, you kick the ball as hard as you can at one of the corners. Or you let Ricky bloody Foster take one so you don't feel so bad the next day and can reassure yourself because you didn't miss. Grow some fucking bollocks.

As I said in my OP, the point is we don't have a prolific striker and we seriously need one.

And as you say 'Amateur' football - this professional football. You miss, then you miss. That's life - but it isn't that difficult, you kick the ball as hard as you can at one of the corners. Or you let Ricky bloody Foster take one so you don't feel so bad the next day and can reassure yourself because you didn't miss. Grow some fucking bollocks.

Holy sh*t, are you 10 years old?  Just because you're a striker doesn't mean you're automatically going to be good at set-pieces. 

Some can't deal with pressure.  Some thrive on it. 

Some can't take set-pieces.  Some are experts when it comes to deadball situations. 

Some aren't confident when it comes to outsmarting a goalkeeper.  Some relish the opportunity. 

Some can't build the confidence on certain occasions.  Some gain confidence from these opportunities. 

Some do things on instinct and hate having time to think.  Some make a decision and stick with it knowing what the end result will be.

I really fail to see what it is you can't grasp from that.  Unless of course you're just ranting because you're still wound up.  :-\

I think he's just saying we need a proper striker are you not D_D?

It doesn't really have anything to do with penalties, just the absolute lack of shooting or composure shown by our "team".

Yep - just angry still about last night.

Talking about the BBC, they called my house again for comment this morning  - good job I'm in the USA!

Must admit, as sad as this sounds, was quite relieved that Mackie didn't take a pen.  It was all set up for him to miss the crucial penalty and given folk another excuse to round on him.

Mackie is never a striker and it truely baffles me that some people can stick up for him. He failed to make contact with a decent ball in the first half where a half decent player would have converted easily. Mackie being given yet another new contract is exactly whats wrong with AFC, no ambition and happy to sell itself and the fans short!

Mackie is never a striker and it truely baffles me that some people can stick up for him. He failed to make contact with a decent ball in the first half where a half decent player would have converted easily. Mackie being given yet another new contract is exactly whats wrong with AFC, no ambition and happy to sell itself and the fans short!

Yeah yeah Mackies pish, shouldnt of been given a new contract blah blah blah

Which opportunity/incident are we talking about?  ???

I think he's talking about the first chance we had where Aluko got a flick on from Maguire and crossed it in. I think Mackie should have at least made contact with it. It was a tough chance with the defender putting pressure on him, but I still think he should have got a shot out of it. These things happen though.

I think he's talking about the first chance we had where Aluko got a flick on from Maguire and crossed it in. I think Mackie should have at least made contact with it. It was a tough chance with the defender putting pressure on him, but I still think he should have got a shot out of it. These things happen though.

Ah right you are, I sit at the other end so I've no idea how close he was, and I've no intention of watching any highlights of the game!  :hammer: