Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

New Goalkeeper Required?

Guest Chris

Guest Chris

Well guys what do you think?

I've never been a fan of Langfield as he doesn't inspire confidence as i feel he costs us more points than he earns us.

If Rangers offer 250 000 for him i think we would be stupid to reject it.

Guest JCsredarmy

the problem is, who else could we get for the same amount of money who is any better. I know some of you will say your gran, but really, you need to look at it a, can we get anybody better on the cheep sort of way. the answer is not really.

Just look at the rest of the spl

hearts and celtic have good keepers

but everybody else has average or in a lot of cases worse.

the problem is, who else could we get for the same amount of money who is any better. I know some of you will say your gran, but really, you need to look at it a, can we get anybody better on the cheep sort of way. the answer is not really.

Well that's true if you limit yourself to only buying goalkeepers from the SPL. It's a big world out there though.

Guest JCsredarmy

Well that's true if you limit yourself to only buying goalkeepers from the SPL. It's a big world out there though.

my point is that there are not many teams with good keepers at all. Thus to find a good keeper is very difficult. With little money, we are limited to free transfers, and to my knowledge there is not much going around. People with good keepers keep them and you need to offer money to get one

Rumour has it Rangers offered 70k. I honestly don't think it would have been worth our while in selling Langfield for that price. For me he is a better keeper than McGregor(not that that is saying that much), but for a serious improvement in the goalkeeping department we would need either

a. A lot of money to buy better quality. Even Artur Boruc who was 'a bargain' all things considered, cost 1M. Craig Gordon is being rated at anywhere between 5-10M. Now I know that both are better than our Jamie, but 100 times better? Tell me a good goalkeeper who is under contract and I will show you a player who is too expensive for Aberdeen.

b. A Kjaer like freebie. Almost even more unlikely, as almost every side in the world, from Arsenal to Valencia, is looking for a better goalkeeper. People now realise that a 35 year old keeper isnt a problem. Unless you want to take a chance on someone like Mark Crossley then who knows what you are going to get.

Langfield played his part in getting us into Europe. To paraphrase Lenin, when we are victorious on a world scale we will use Jamie Langfield in a smaller role and buy an upgrade. Until them I am happy to stick.

have i missed something? are rangers going to offer quarter of a million for him, or are we just asking what we would do if they did?

if it's the case that they're desperate to land him (lord alone knows why), then i'd take 250,000 in a heartbeat. i've said on here before that i think langfield's the worst keeper we've had between the sticks since nicky walker and i stand by that.

there are plenty of keepers out there if you use a bit of imagination. paul gallacher, tony bullock, hell - even falkirk managed kasper schmeichel (and i don't even think they had an especially bad keeper in lambers in the first place).

hibs have found to their cost that a decent keeper is absolutely vital to ensure a consistent challenge. but we'd have been a lot closer to the gers at the end of the season if we'd had one too, i can tell you that.

let him go to the fort of the badger. quarter of a mill will buy a lot better than clangers, no foolin'.

Guest JCsredarmy

have i missed something? are rangers going to offer quarter of a million for him, or are we just asking what we would do if they did?

if it's the case that they're desperate to land him (lord alone knows why), then i'd take 250,000 in a heartbeat. i've said on here before that i think langfield's the worst keeper we've had between the sticks since nicky walker and i stand by that.

there are plenty of keepers out there if you use a bit of imagination. paul gallacher, tony bullock, hell - even falkirk managed kasper schmeichel (and i don't even think they had an especially bad keeper in lambers in the first place).

hibs have found to their cost that a decent keeper is absolutely vital to ensure a consistent challenge. but we'd have been a lot closer to the gers at the end of the season if we'd had one too, i can tell you that.

let him go to the fort of the badger. quarter of a mill will buy a lot better than clangers, no foolin'.

we would have been a lot closer to rankers? Points given away, caley thistle at home, 2 points dropped. what other points have been lost through langfield? By the way, lambers is shit, why do you think falkirk got schmeichel in the first place. bullock is pish, paul gallacher maybe but would he come to us, maybe not i think

Guest innesciver

Langfield has made a few mistakes this season but haven't all keepers?  Craig Gordon made a high profile one at Parkhead.  I think he deserves another season.  I have seen a few good preformances from him this season.

I honestly think Langfield is one of the best shot stoppers we have had in a long time. He is decent on crosses as well. His problems are in less quantifiable areas like kicking and moments of madness. There have only been a couple of occasions this season when I thought Langfield was beaten by shots he should have saved, and far more occasions where he made saves that I didnt think he would make.

However, I think his kicking from the ground needs work all summer. Nothing but kicking. Not much we can do about the occasional rushes of blood to the head except that with another year's experience he cuts that part of the game out.

The comparison with Hibs is hardly fair. They have had some really, really shit goalies. To the point where they might as well have had an outfield player in goals. Kaspar Schmeichel is an ok keeper, but people want him far more for the name than his abilities. Like I said before, if the opportunity comes to drastically improve the position then take it. At the moment all it would be is different shades of shite.

Guest innesciver

I honestly think Langfield is one of the best shot stoppers we have had in a long time. He is decent on crosses as well. His problems are in less quantifiable areas like kicking and moments of madness. There have only been a couple of occasions this season when I thought Langfield was beaten by shots he should have saved, and far more occasions where he made saves that I didnt think he would make.

However, I think his kicking from the ground needs work all summer. Nothing but kicking. Not much we can do about the occasional rushes of blood to the head except that with another year's experience he cuts that part of the game out.

The comparison with Hibs is hardly fair. They have had some really, really shit goalies. To the point where they might as well have had an outfield player in goals. Kaspar Schmeichel is an ok keeper, but people want him far more for the name than his abilities. Like I said before, if the opportunity comes to drastically improve the position then take it. At the moment all it would be is different shades of shite.

Agreed!!!

Celtic (x2), Hibs (x2), Hearts at Tynecastle, Motherwell.  That's just off the top of my head, i'm sure there are more. That's more than a couple of occassions I'm afraid. He's not good enough.

Guest JCsredarmy

the point is where has it cost us. Motherwell did not matter, game was won.

where was the celtic (x2) exactly. nakamura's free kick, the one he saved from riordan and fell to vinegar of sausagemeat.

hibs (x2)? please explain. 

where was the celtic (x2) exactly. nakamura's free kick, the one he saved from riordan and fell to vinegar of sausagemeat.

hibs (x2)? please explain. 

Celtic - Hesselink's shot in the 1-0 defeat at pittodrie.  Nakamura's free kick. Beatties goal as well, he should never have been beaten in that fashion. So that's actually 3.

Hibs - Scottish Cup, Easter Road. Benji's first, Hibs third.

League, Pittodrie: sat on his arse as that young forward walked round him.

No, that's not the point. Mistakes like that should never be made no matter what the score is. Complacency breeds more complacency and when it creeps into your game it's a very, very bad sign.

Guest JCsredarmy

first celtic game, fair play, free kick not so, ask van der saar, it is the only thing that over rated tattie muncher can do. beatties, dont think so, unless gordon is shit as well as he let one in against us from same sort of position when we beat them one nil

hibs agian first one fair play, second, one on one have to look at defense, cant blame keeper for one on one, attacker should score every time

Guest JCsredarmy

No, that's not the point. Mistakes like that should never be made no matter what the score is. Complacency breeds more complacency and when it creeps into your game it's a very, very bad sign.

that may be true, but my original point is games that have cost us. I dont think it has been complancency either, mostly jsut a lack of confidence and or lack of concentration. When the whole of todders collectively holds it breath when a back pass goes to him that is not going to help 

that may be true, but my original point is games that have cost us. I dont think it has been complancency either, mostly jsut a lack of confidence and or lack of concentration. When the whole of todders collectively holds it breath when a back pass goes to him that is not going to help 

Yeah, but Pittodrie is doing that for a reason.

first celtic game, fair play, free kick not so, ask van der saar, it is the only thing that over rated tattie muncher can do. beatties, dont think so, unless gordon is shit as well as he let one in against us from same sort of position when we beat them one nil

hibs agian first one fair play, second, one on one have to look at defense, cant blame keeper for one on one, attacker should score every time

The free kicks he scored against ManUtd are incomparable to the one he scored at Pittodrie. Langfield obviously doesnt understand how to line up a wall.

Beatties goal was crap goalkeeping, he shouldnt have lost a goal there in the same fashion that Gordon shouldnt have either.

The defence was poor at the hibs one, but so was Langfield. whether the attacker SHOULD score isn't the point, the odds are stacked against Langfield, that is true, but he shouldnt make it automatically easier by sitting on his arse, should he?

Guest JCsredarmy

The free kicks he scored against ManUtd are incomparable to the one he scored at Pittodrie. Langfield obviously doesnt understand how to line up a wall.

Beatties goal was crap goalkeeping, he shouldnt have lost a goal there in the same fashion that Gordon shouldnt have either.

The defence was poor at the hibs one, but so was Langfield. whether the attacker SHOULD score isn't the point, the odds are stacked against Langfield, that is true, but he shouldnt make it automatically easier by sitting on his arse, should he?

not setting up a wall properly?. i think you will find that he set the wall to over the right hand side of the goal(looking at RDS) and he covers middle-left, diving champ put it into that side. Though you could try and say he should save it, if he stands on that post and the boy puts it in the other side then you blame him as well. Maybe you could just say good hit from the free-kick (though it was not a free-kick in the first place)

The beattie and lovell goals. Hard low and across the keeper, not much anybody can do. Perfect place to finish.

There have been times when langfield at fault, hearts 1-1 should have saved, benji's first in the cup. But not the ones you are talking about. :thumbsup: