Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Russell Anderson?

Guest Dons Part Time Supporters
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Where's the "Aberdeen" option?

I see Fulham have apparently thrown their weight into the Anderson equation as they've lost out on their bid to try to sign Hyypia from Liverpool.

I don't want Anderson to leave, but if he does leave then I want a bidding war to take place between some Premiership big guns so that we get AS MUCH as possible for him ... none of this "three quid and a broken player of your choosing" that the Old Firm deem acceptable.

I see that The Times are quoting Al Fayed as saying he's giving Laurie Sanchez around £10million to play with this summer, and that Anderson is "very high" on Fulham's shopping list.

Could we see a bidding war between Middlesbrough, Fulham and Everton take place for Anderson? I sincerely hope so. Believe me, I do NOT want Anderson to go as he is the rock around which our team needs to be built. But if he is to go, as I said a few days ago, I'd rather a ferocious bidding war took place between some big English clubs so that we can get as much money for him as possible. And I'm talking NO LESS than £2million ... which in my view is an absolute bargain price for a player like Anderson who can not only defend spectacularly, but can also lead a team competently!

I know we are in debt but he would not need to go nowhere if tight fisted milne got his cash out

He clearly wants to stay but i fear that the slightest sniff of cash and aberdeen will let him go..

btw when did this forum get back up i used to come here by the name of madmax but got fed up with it closing all the time and went to another one

btw when did this forum get back up i used to come here by the name of madmax but got fed up with it closing all the time and went to another one

We've been back for a while now, Caledonia. we've not really advertised it yet ... a combination of wanting to make sure the site is stable and fully ready with no glitches ... and not wanting the bampots who once took great delight in tearing the old DT apart to follow the masses and come back here. Being honest, I'm quite happy for them to be over on AFC-Hat as it means there's no childish tit-for-tatting going on here any more.

I know we are in debt but he would not need to go nowhere if tight fisted milne got his cash out

He clearly wants to stay but i fear that the slightest sniff of cash and aberdeen will let him go..

that is not the answer for a sustained AFC - and why should Milne put his hand in his pocket???  When companies are in debt, chairmen usually empty the coffers before running - he's trying to make the business self sufficient.  And you cannot question his business accument, look at the company he built himself. 

Chairmen always get flak when the team isn't winning,  i want the team to win, but I also want a team to support.

that is not the answer for a sustained AFC - and why should Milne put his hand in his pocket???  When companies are in debt, chairmen usually empty the coffers before running - he's trying to make the business self sufficient.  And you cannot question his business accument, look at the company he built himself. 

Chairmen always get flak when the team isn't winning,  i want the team to win, but I also want a team to support.

You've hit the nail on the head there about Milne - good post.

milne helped to create the fucking debt and owes us something. selling our best players is not the way forward. sure the debt will decrease but with no results on the park we'd be fucked.

Guest At The Border Guy

milne helped to create the fucking debt and owes us something. selling our best players is not the way forward. sure the debt will decrease but with no results on the park we'd be fucked.

Got to agree with Sneckie and Phil-Stellaartois-Mcguire on this one.  If we spent more to compete with the Old Firm in the 90s, we'd be buggered now.  If we spent less in the 90s, we'd be buggered now.  How many Scottish Premier teams came through the early/mid-90s without any debt??  As for selling our best players - This hasn't happened yet this summer, and I can't see it happening.

We're now a debt-ridden, skinflint team who are in the 1st Round proper of the UEFA Cup, and who look like the only challengers to a debt-ridden, skinflint team from Govan for 2nd place next season!  Sounds alright to me.  ;)

give yersel a shake.  There's one man who "made" the debt of just about every football team in Europe - Mark Bosman.  The ruling on his transfer meant that teams who could afford it were paying serious wedge for the good players.  All the other teams tried to match this.  If they didn't they would drop down a league, then another league, then be fucked.  How long ago did leeds united win the premiership, paying players top dollar.  Where are they now?

As with just baout every other team at the time, Aberdeen had to spend top whack just to stay in the top flight - but the difference is, we were the first (probably in Britain) to realise that it couldn't continue so the board put measure to stem the endless spending.  Hurt us for a few years, but we are starting to realise the benefits now.

We are in a far better shape than a LOT of other teams in Scotland (let alone the top flight)

Agree with what your saying phil-stellaartois-mcguire. Aberdeen are a debt-laden club, yes. Of that there is no doubt. But, our debt is manageable. Wiggy tightly closed the purse-strings a long time before everyone else in the SPL did so. Everyone laughed at us at the time, saying "hey look, there goes their toaster!" and all that shite. But Wiggy and Wyness stopped our spending before we crashed out of existence. It took a few years for us to climb back up, but we slowly recuperated a bit of money. And when Willie Miller was approached by Wiggy to take the position of Football Director, clearly Miller stipulated that the cost-cutting efforts would have to be directed away from the playing squad if he were to engineer bringing success back to the club. Clearly it's had an immediate and noticable impact as our playing squad has gone from strength to strength year upon year that Miller has been in-charge of football affairs at Pittodrie.

Celtic did the same. When Fergus McCann bailed the club out, he refused to let the club spend big on players. Even though Parkhead was full to the brim every fortnight, Fergus refused to let Tommy Burns spend big. Then, when McCann left, his successor basically opened up the purse-strings and realised there was a HUGE amount of money there to burn and let the team manager go out and start purchasing players for large sums and placing players on larger-than-average wages.

Yeah yeah. Whatever mate! I've already fallen for that link once today. I'm nae doing it again ... cheeky barsteward

Least I did it on the non AFC football section, Do I get brownie points  ;D

I really do not see Russell going anywhere in the summer.

For once the fans are happy, the team is doing well and everyone is on a high.

Milne would not want to rock the boat selling our best player who clearly does not want to go anywhere.

Milne would not want to rock the boat selling our best player who clearly does not want to go anywhere.

True. But you can't blame Russell for wondering what life is like in the Premiership! I actually wouldn't mind him going to the Premiership for two or three years and then coming back to us. It could help him iron out those occasional hiccups he has on the field and make him into the ULTIMATE defender. But then again, can our defence survive a couple of seasons without him?

Is McNamara a suitable replacement? I know he's captained Ra Shellick and all that guff, but he's more suited on either one of the defensive flanks. Russell's a central defender! Have we got adequate cover in the centre if he does decide to have a crack at the big time? Is it about time Diamond finally came of age, dropped his immature side and became the player he was tipped to become some three years ago?

McNamara was not bought as a replacement for Anderson.  I think McNamara has been brought in for two reasons:

1. To play left back, which he does very well. (Not that Foster didn't do well in that position but, he's better suited elsewhere).

2. To provide some experience in the defence if/when Anderson goes (Diamond and Considine are still young, inexperienced and liable to make the odd howler).

I think he'll be a good addition to the squad.  I'm hoping Touzani gets a run next season - He can also play in defence if required and appears to be more of a 'natural footballer' than diamond & Considine.

If we don't lose Anderson and provided no one else goes (apart from Langfield, as the man's a donkey), I feel we have good strength in depth for the first time in many many years.  That's what it's all about these days!  Especially with our big European run coming up!!!?!!