Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen FC

I am carrying out research at Uni on how the clubs in the SPL (not including the O.F.) can increase attendance, generate more income and create better relationships with their fans.

Could you please fill out this wee survey its 100% confidential and the results will be posted online for those who want to see them.  The findings from the research will then be presented and suggestions offered to the clubs to implement.

The link to the survey is below:

<a href="http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=MCl3CcuE8dTidNSs6amosA_3d_3d">Click Here to take survey</a>

Thanx xxx  ;D

I think lowering the prices would help. A lot of mates who support non Old Firm teams have mentioned the reason they don't go to many games is because the price is too high.

Though in saying that there were over 18,000 at a regular priced game yesterday and less than 9,000 at a discounted game (albeit only discounted by £3) against Falkirk a couple of weeks ago. Maybe if Scotland's weather improves more people will want to sit outside next to the beach for a couple of hours on a Saturday.

I think the attendance is a function of a number of different factors.

Result of the previous match/current form + opponents + weather + cost of ticket + time of year + broadcast live on TV + league position and many other things all combine to make our attendance what it is.

The best opportunity to maximise attendance are when all of the above go our way. The team and Jimmy can only control a number of these - i.e. league positioning/form etc. and the club can control ticket prices and marketing of AFC. The rest are all circumstantial and we have no control over...

A game against Rangers or in the UEFA Cup will sell itself, and ticket prices aren't necessarily a problem to maximise the attendance. Likewise a game against Falkirk will always be poorly attended - no matter what kind of ticket deals you have. Give to much away and you risk losing profitability and alienating your ST holders who paid for their tickets up front in the hope of getting a cheaper deal.

Keeping the core of your support for each game, and selling out the corporate hospitality each week as a base is vital to keep a steady cash flow. The bigger games against the OF, domestic cup games and games in Europe are bonuses which are key to getting out of our debt...these games will be better attended and the club should be taking advantage of that.

There is no silver bullet to this football-wide problem...except some silverware maybe - but even that will only have a temporary effect.  Lowering all ticket prices is not the answer.

thanks guys will put all of these comments in my dissertation n hopefully get a chance 2 present them to the clubs wen its finished.. if they will listen.  not got many aberdeen supporters answers in the survey compared 2 sum other clubs  :( but the answers i hav had r all brilliant so thanx x

It costs too much is the bottom line I think. Atmosphere isn't great at alot of games. I think if more people were in the ground it would be better.

Lowering prices doesn't work.

Any time it has been attempted it has failed, it is completely unsustainable unless a very rich benefactor exists to support a team that cuts it's income and increases it's outlay (improving product and reducing price). If that benefactor exists, then perhaps in the long term such a thing would end up being successful but football, in general, has all it's eggs in the basket of the present, it is a results driven business.

Lowering prices doesn't work.

Any time it has been attempted it has failed, it is completely unsustainable unless a very rich benefactor exists to support a team that cuts it's income and increases it's outlay (improving product and reducing price). If that benefactor exists, then perhaps in the long term such a thing would end up being successful but football, in general, has all it's eggs in the basket of the present, it is a results driven business.

Oh I'm not saying it's a flawless idea. You're right. Even if successful the idea would need someone's cash for a while at least as a safety net.

But I do think it would work in the long run. Getting the ratio of price reduction to new fans right would also not be easy but I do think it would work. I heard recently about a team that halved its prices and got twice the people through the gates. That may increase policing costs but theoretically intake from pie sales could negate that?

Not saying it's easy but I reckon it would work.

throw out the old firm - they can play each other every week and the rest of scotland will have a competitive league.

Wish it was as simple as that. Unfortunately we rely a pretty great deal on the cash they attract to our league. If they fuct off off the league would be more competitive but the standard would eventually nose dive and it ain't great as it is.

Wish it was as simple as that. Unfortunately we rely a pretty great deal on the cash they attract to our league. If they fuct off off the league would be more competitive but the standard would eventually nose dive and it ain't great as it is.

I'm no sure the standard would exactly nose-dive but the money would certainly reduce in the short term. That and the players themselves would be less likely to come to Scotland as a result (less cash on offer and no OF to play against).

Without the OF the tv contract would definitely be a less attractive option for anyone willing to discuss it.

There would however be a hugely competitive league left behind, potential for increased gates as a result. A much more competitive league (with the proviso that the fitba itself is exciting) may well be a good thing.

I think the attendance is a function of a number of different factors.

Result of the previous match/current form + opponents + weather + cost of ticket + time of year + broadcast live on TV + league position and many other things all combine to make our attendance what it is.

Agree with this and you can add holidays (ie a family with say 2 kids might find it hard to fit in a game through the year with dad/mam/son working or going to clubs, playing footie or going out with there friends but at xmas all are off and other distractions are mostly shut)

Take saturday we were doing well playing a big team (dont slate me for this) mostly all off work with nothing much else to do

Cost is a factor for me anyway as it costs in the region of £80 for me and my 2 sons to go to a match counting transport, tickets and food etc etc

I'm sure the Junior and Highland leagues are highly competitive but absolutely nae cunt wants to watch them!

Actually in fairness to the highland league if you compare the attendances to the population of the town they play in relatively speaking they are quite high.  HIbs had a higher average attendance when they were in the 1st division a few years back than they do now.  Actually having something to play for is key in getting people into the ground.  We had some massive attendences when we were relegation candidates and the fare on show was total dross