Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

anderson vows to stay

Guest red donut

Guest red donut

have to question his quote "these are exciting times to be an aberden player" but in this day and age of players just playing for the money he has to be commended on his loyalty and should be an example to kids that money isnt everything and loyalty and happiness is worth much much more!!!

Aberdeen captain Russell Anderson has stated his desire to remain at Pittodrie for the rest of his career.

The 28-year-old has been linked with a move to England with Everton, Middlesbrough and Sunderland all reportedly interested.

"These are exciting times to be an Aberdeen player, so I'm in no hurry to leave," he told the Evening Express.

"I'm open to discussing a new contract and if it meant staying with Aberdeen for the rest of my career, then fine."

Anderson - who has nine Scotland caps - made his Aberdeen debut under former manager Roy Aitken in 1996 and has just finished his testimonial season at the club.

As far as I'm concerned I will be leading the club in Europe next season

Aberdeen captain

Russell Anderson

He also skippered the Pittodrie side back into European competition for the first time in five years.

"I'm happy with the way things are going on the football front and my family are obviously happy and settled in Aberdeen," he added.

"The ball is in the club's court.

"I haven't spoken to anyone and the club has constantly confirmed there have been no approaches.

"If anything does happen on that front it certainly won't be instigated by me.

"I have a year left in my contract and as far as I'm concerned I will be leading the club in Europe next season."

Anderson added: "I hope to also be leading the club beyond that."

The Dons look set to further add to their squad this week with the signings of Dutch pair Jeffrey de Visscher and Robert Fik.

And Anderson believes the recent squad strengthening will bode well for the club next season.

"We've just signed Jackie McNamara, which is a real coup for Aberdeen and a sign of the ambition to build on what we achieved in the season just completed," he said.

"We're also on the brink of signing another couple of players, so there is good reason to be optimistic about the future."

Guest AberdeenSamuel

most players are motivated by money etc yes but he is already well paid and loves the club, and his family are settled.  It just wouldnt be his choice it would be his families too.  look at Matt Le Tissier, he could have chose any club in his day but stayed with southampton throughout his career.

Guest Snowy1977

Players do this all the time.  They come out in the press and say they want to stay which pleases the fans.  Try to force the club's hand in paying more wages saying they want to stay and then walk out of the club citing that the club could not match his ambition. Fans then get pissed off with the club and blame Stewart Milne / Willie Miller /Jimmy Calderwood when the one person to "blame" if that's the right the word (can you blame him for ambition?) is the player i.e. Anderson.

Anderson will leave AFC to the Premiership - guaranteed!

• 2 years later...