Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

EE: Derek out for new Aberdeen contract

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/921505

DEREK Young would love a new Dons deal to extend his second stint at Pittodrie.

The tenacious midfielder is out of contract in the summer.

But Young is desperate to remain at Aberdeen and is waiting to learn if manager Jimmy Calderwood wants to keep him.

He said: “I’m pretty sure we’ll see what is going to happen soon.

“It’s coming up to Christmas and the club usually speaks to the players that are out of contract.

“There is myself and another five boys in the same situation.

“If things keep going the way they are, I’ll be more than happy to sign.â€

Young is one of six Aberdeen players whose contracts expire this summer.

Scott Severin, Jamie Smith, Darren Mackie, Jeffrey de Visscher and Lee Mair must also wait to find out if they will be offered the chance to remain at the club.

Young began his career at Pittodrie, making 129 appearances between 1998 and 2003.

He then left for spells at Dunfermline, St Johnstone and Partick Thistle.

Young was brought back to the Granite City by Calderwood in July 2007 in a two-season deal.

Given the length of time Young has spent in total at Pittodrie, the 28-year-old hopes his knowledge of the Dons will be seen as a vital asset by Calderwood.

He said: “I’ve been here before and I know what it’s all about.

“It’s probably people like me that the manager needs round about the place to tell people how things are.

“It’s a huge club.

“Maybe being away and then coming back to see how big it has got has showed myself that.â€

Young was shocked to learn he is now one of the most experienced players at Pittodrie.

Only Scott Severin and Jamie Langfield are older than the Glaswegian.

But Young is relishing his status as an elder statesman.

He said: “I’m the third oldest at the club.

“At 28 that doesn’t usually happen and it was a bit of a surprise for me in the summer when I found that out.

“I’m only behind Scott Severin and Jamie Langfield.

“There are a lot of boys at the club who actually look a lot older than me.

“But I’ll take that mantle and my birth certificate shows that I am the third oldest.

“There are a lot of young boys who you can pass a lot of experience on to.

“If they have got anything they want to talk about I’m always there.

“It’s more common sense than anything, but if there is something going wrong in training you just need to speak to the boys, instead of shouting at them.

“It’s things that I got passed on to me when I was growing up here. Hopefully that will now get passed on.â€

I like most of us was shocked at his signing, and he hasnt played as badly as I though he would (well some games he has been as bad as I feared). However I think his time here is done as he is a fringe player and not really pushing for a place, lets get a young player from the lower leagues in who can push for a place.

“I’ve been here before and I know what it’s all about.

“It’s probably people like me that the manager needs round about the place to tell people how things are.

Good to have about the place...

“It’s a huge club.

“Maybe being away and then coming back to see how big it has got has showed myself that.â€

What a lot of shite.

I don't think he's deserving of a contract, he's not been as bad as we feared, but he's still been pretty bad. Had a couple of ok games, scored a couple of good goals for us, but we should be aiming for better.

Not too sure about this one, if Pawlett turns out to be the player a lot of folk predict then surely it's time to bin Young.  If however Pawlett isn't ready then I wouldn't be totally against Young getting another contract.

Pretty ambivalent towards whether he gets one or not. We are going to need fringe players and he's reliable enough so why not?

I was gutted when we resigned him, but your right, we probably need players to pad out the squad.  He's probably the best we can hope for when we're paying with buttons.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

seconded.

The guy is fucking brutal.com Hideous player, just cos he hasn't been quite as shite as we thought, doesn't mean he hasn't been shite. And he has, he's been shite.  Aberdeen are far, far, far too good for him.