Aberdeen v Dundee Utd

I think the thing with macdonald is that he makes some clever runs forward, but none of his team makes know him well enough to anticipate these runs yet. Much the same as nicholson when he first arrived

I hope you're right.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the thing with macdonald is that he makes some clever runs forward, but none of his team makes know him well enough to anticipate these runs yet. Much the same as nicholson when he first arrived

You may think he makes swell runs, but Im not too sure, he just seems to flounder in midfield.

Wright time for Dons to start racking up home wins

By michael gannon

Published: 17/09/2008

Aberdeen attacker Tommy Wright is in line for his first start for the Dons against Dundee United at Pittodrie this weekend as manager Jimmy Calderwood looks to adopt a more direct style of play.

Wright has made only brief cameo appearances so far this season as a late substitute against Motherwell, Rangers and St Mirren.

He was left on the bench in last weekend's 2-1 home defeat by Hamilton Accies.

Wright a 24-year-old former Leicester forward came through 45 minutes in yesterday's reserves 1-0 defeat against Rangers and is now in line to start against the Arabs as the Dons search for their first Pittodrie victory of the season.

Aberdeen assistant manager Jimmy Nicholl said: “Tommy Wright can certainly shake things up for us.

“At the weekend Sone Aluko put three or four balls across the face of goal in the first 15 minutes and no one was on the end of them.

“If you are anxious you play the slow build up, but we want to take that fear away from them.

“We need to get the ball and bodies in the box and put pressure on Lee Wilkie and Darren Dods.

“We want to have goalmouth action to lift the supporters and Tommy comes into the category as someone who can do that.â€

Nicholl admitted the Dons home form has been unacceptable so far this season following defeats to Inverness Caley Thistle and Hamilton Accies either side of a 1-1 draw with Rangers.

He insists the side can turn things round, citing the impressive home record over the last 12 months as evidence the problem is not deep rooted.

He said: “We have not had the results we wanted at Pittodrie so far but we only lost four out of 27 home matches last season. That includes games against European opposition as well – but you would never think that they way we have started.

“They can do it in training but they have to go out and do it on a Saturday in front of 14,000 people. The record shows they can do it, so they have showed they can cope.

“They would not be playing if they could not handle it.

“The last thing we want is to have players who are more relaxed playing away from home.

“There is a bit of satisfaction when you work hard and get a result away from home. The supporters will accept a 1-0 win, even if it not the most attractive.

“But it is not enjoyable if that is the way you are approaching your home matches.â€

Fuck them, we have a permanently moaning faced support. Winning football/attractive football? Given the choice, I'll take winning. There will always be folk moaning about either.

Completely agree! I'd take winning everytime. We need to get our home form sorted, a few wins under the belt and the players will not "fear" playing at Pittodrie. Hibs play "attractive" football and they are shite.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/844059?UserKey=

dundee united’s manager believes it is only a matter of time before positive displays convert into results

Levein only interested in performances not statistics

Published: 18/09/2008

Dundee United manager Craig Levein believes stats harking back to last season are meaningless – because half his current team did not even arrive at Tannadice until the summer.

Much has been made of the Tangerines' record of having won only twice in their last 19 matches, but their manager is content to judge his present crop of players by performances rather than numbers which, he believes, are now rendered irrelevant due to major personnel changes.

Levein added seven players in the close season and completely revamped his strikeforce, bringing Francisco Sandaza, Warren Feeney, Roy O'Donovan and Andis Shala to the club.

Converting chances into goals has been United's main failing this season but Levein is confident that they will soon turn their positive performances into results.

He said: “People are writing us off and you can use statistics to do that if you want.

“But, in reality, you can use stats any way you like.

“If people want to rake up stats from last season that's fine, but what they are not factoring in is that half of these players did not even come here until the summer.

“Stats from last season mean nothing to me because I know how well we've been playing recently.

“I've gone through the video of the Hibs game with the players and was really happy with what I saw.

“Of course, there are things we can improve on but the football we're playing is excellent and if we keep that up we'll get results."

United travel to Aberdeen this weekend searching for the win they need to move off the bottom of the SPL table.

The Dons have already lost to Inverness and Hamilton at Pittodrie this season, prompting manager Jimmy Calderwood to bemoan his team's form in front of their fans.

Despite Calderwood's claim that he gets nervous about his team at home, Levein is under no illusions that the trip north will be as stern a test as ever.

He said: “I've been telling the players that Pittodrie is always a hard place to go to.

“They've only played three games at home and one of them was against Rangers so you can't read anything into it.

“Aberdeen are always a hard team to play against so we know it's going to be a tough one."

United have received a fitness boost with the news that Roy O'Donovan is not believed to have torn his hamstring so, while he will miss Saturday's game, he is likely to be back in just a few weeks. Levein revealed: “The physio doesn't think Roy has torn his hamstring, which is good news because if it was torn he'd be out for a while.

“But as things stand he's recovering just now and hopefully should be back in a week or two.

“Warren Feeney will be out on Saturday because his ankle is still sore but Willo Flood is making progress and could make the weekend."

That's probably the best team we can field with what we've got at the moment.

Glad that Aluko and Wright are both starting. Pleasantly surprised to see Mackie make way for Miller in the up-front pairing with Wright. Even more happy to see no place in the starting lineup for Mair or Duff.

We have right back who can take the place (presumably) of someone who is very pish in terms of skill and form.

That back four (although I am having big big doubts about Severin) should be left alone for a few matches, barring injury and suspension.

Maybe someone can explain this, why does Calderwood think Seve is best at CB but when the game turns to carvery charge, ie "must win" he's good enough in centre mid?

looking to use the pace of maguire and aluko like this time last season I guess.  Agree Seve should be in midfield at the expense of McDonald and either Mair or Consi at the back with Diamond.

Foster should be playing at Seaton Park, not Pittodrie.

Still should be enough to beat united if everyone bothers to turn up.  However with Miller and Wright upfront I fear it won't take long till we are hoofing high balls upto the heads of Wilkie and Kenneth

No-one turned up with the possible exception of Severin.

Abysmal, clueless, saoft as shit performance and clearly getting worse rather than better.

If Calderwood says ANYTHING positive about a performance like that he is on the fast track to Cornhill, utterly delusional.

United, ICT and Hamilton are vwery poor teams and we have been beaten by all of them and pretty much merited fuck all of these matches, at home, Fortress Pittodrie.

What a fucking joke.

That was fckin pish.

I actually thought Foster had a decent game for once and Aluko, Severin and Diamond tried - but the rest of the team were missing. McDonald skied THREE chances from less than 15 yards. That just isn'tgood enough.

And Tommy Wright Wright Wright was fckin Shite Shite Shite.

That was fckin pish.

I actually thought Foster had a decent game for once and Aluko, Severin and Diamond tried - but the rest of the team were missing. McDonald skied THREE chances from less than 15 yards. That just isn'tgood enough.

And Tommy Wright Wright Wright was fckin Shite Shite Shite.

Cue for an old classic song there DD . . . .

It is a fucking disgrace that he has spent money for a change and we have got appreciably worse. McDonald is a s soft as my first skittery shite and despite Foster having a good game, that has to be seen i the context of what a good game is for that useless cunt.

Midfield to front, we are a fucking joke, toothless and clueless and with Clarke coaching the forwards, we really have a fucking problem. Gomis bossed the midfield with only Kerr offering some resistance. Get McDonald to fuck outta there and move Seve up. It is good enough for a carvery cahrge, it should be fucking good enough for a start in a game.