Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen v Dundee Utd

Jimmy in warning to Reds reserves

Published: 16/09/2008

DONS boss Jimmy Calderwood today challenged his first team fringe men to prove they are ready to be recalled to face Dundee United.

Calderwood is considering changes for Saturday’s SPL clash with United at Pittodrie in the wake of their 2-1 SPL defeat by Hamilton Accies.

The extent of those changes will be dictated by how well some of the players waiting to come back in – Zander Diamond, Tommy Wright, Chris Maguire, Lee Mair and Stuart Duff – perform in today’s Reserve League clash with Rangers at Brechin.

Calderwood said: “The reserve game will have a bearing on what happens.

“Zander, Tommy and a few others should be champing at the bit hoping to force their way back into my plans for Saturday.

“If they do something special in the reserve game it would strengthen their hand.

“But if the performances are as poor as some of the ones I saw when we fielded a pretty strong reserve side at Fraserburgh then that will be a different matter.

“Stuart Duff’s display up there particularly upset me, which was why he wasn’t even stripped for the Hamilton game.

“It was annoying because he was starting to force his way forward and would probably have been involved.

“I spoke to Stuart about it. I’m hoping to see a reaction from him today, but he isn’t the only one I will be watching closely.

“I have 22 fit players battling it out for 11 starting places and I don’t really care who they go to.

“I know how we will play against United.

“Who plays will be decided after I’ve seen the 90 minutes at Brechin.â€

Wright hasn't started a game for the Dons since making his £75,000 switch from Darlington.

When I asked if the Red Army are ever going to see that change, Calderwood replied: “Of course they will.

“Tommy wasn’t fit to start games when he first came but he has been working hard and is close to being back at his peak. It’s a matter of deciding the best time to throw him in.â€

In an interview with the Evening Express the day after joining the Dons, the Englishman revealed he had already pencilled in the date of their league clash with the Tannadice club.

That’s because Wright would love to put one over United boss Craig Levein, who he claims never gave him a chance to play when they were at Leicester.

When I mentioned that to Calderwood, he smiled and said: “I’m aware of that but that won’t be what convinces me to play Tommy at the weekend.

“It’s what he does in the game today and in training through the rest of the week that will make my mind up.â€

Right, time to stick Wright in from the start.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would say its a bit harsh dropping macdonald when he is just coming onto a game

You think he's coming on to a game?  Maybe I'm being too critical but he seems to run about a lot without actually doing anything constructive. I thought his confidence would grow and he'd go on to have a good game after he scored but it just didn't happen.