Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

P&J: McDonald and Kerr fine blend is so tasty for Dons

ABERDEEN midfielder Gary McDonald believes his partnership with Mark Kerr is up and running ahead of schedule – but reckons there is much more to come from the duo.

McDonald produced his best display for the Dons since his summer arrival in Wednesday’s 1-0 League Cup victory at Ayr United, making crucial tackles, keeping possession and kick-starting attacks.

The 26-year-old was denied man of the match only because the Ayrshire club was loath to give the award to a former Kilmarnock player.

Instead, it was team-mate Kerr who received the champagne after an equally-impressive display and McDonald insists the pair are forging a powerful alliance.

He said: “I have known Mark for ages. I played against him loads of times and we were together in the Scotland youth set-up as well. I enjoy playing alongside Mark as he is good on the ball and gives his all.

“I know his game and he knows mine, but the more we play together the better the understanding is developing and that can only improve.

“Some people have said it takes time, but I think we are ahead of schedule.

“We wanted to hit the ground running and I feel we are getting there and it will only get better.â€

McDonald was delighted to progress and said the Dons have their sights set on ending their 13-year trophy drought. He said: “The manager has spoke to us about the cup competitions. He said it has been too long for a club of this stature not to have reached a final and I do not see why we cannot do it this season.

Is that why he hasn't got a single vote from anyone who was at the game for man of the match?

Ahead of schedule?  Don't think the two of them working together at all and little signs of improvement, even against 2nd division side. 

So do you suggest that they pushed out an article saying they were struggling to find any form together and it had been a huge mistake to put them both in our squad and they have discussed just leaving the club to save it from further disappointment.

Players have to put out positive stories about the progress being made. Its an important part of confidence building and belief in the way they are trying to play. Lets be comforted that they are feeling some sense of progress and hope they can build on the lack of confidence that exists in the club and support. We certainly won't see progress if we kick them down at every turn.

So do you suggest that they pushed out an article saying they were struggling to find any form together and it had been a huge mistake to put them both in our squad and they have discussed just leaving the club to save it from further disappointment.

Players have to put out positive stories about the progress being made. Its an important part of confidence building and belief in the way they are trying to play. Lets be comforted that they are feeling some sense of progress and hope they can build on the lack of confidence that exists in the club and support. We certainly won't see progress if we kick them down at every turn.

I would prefer a bit of honesty with McDonald saying "i haven't played well as yet and there is much more to come" instead of we are getting there and ahead of schedule when 95% think our midfield is struggling badly.

Just hope McDonald doesn't think he is playing well and a lot more is coming from him.

Honesty is all well and good but sometimes you have to do a little bit of talking yourself up to build confidence. Its not like he was saying that they were on top of their game, he is just trying to use some positive, rather than negative language to provide some forward momentum for him and his team mates. The club badly needs it and I for one welcome the approach. 

Honesty is all well and good but sometimes you have to do a little bit of talking yourself up to build confidence. Its not like he was saying that they were on top of their game, he is just trying to use some positive, rather than negative language to provide some forward momentum for him and his team mates. The club badly needs it and I for one welcome the approach. 

Like i say hope he is and not thinking he is playing well.  Remember McDonald being decent at Killie although wide right for them (and at Oldham most of the time) but has looked slow and cumbersome for us so far.

:clap: you are correct oh wise one  :thumbsup: