Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Mark Kerr - Dundee United to Aberdeen

Guest Robo

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aberdeen Football Club has confirmed that Dundee United's out of contract midfielder Mark Kerr has agreed personal terms with the Pittodrie club and, subject to a medical early next week, will join the Dons on a two year deal.

The 26 year old, who is currently on holiday, joined the Tannadice side from Falkirk in the summer of 2003 and had been linked with several clubs south of the border.

On completion of a successful medical, Kerr will join up with fellow close season captures Gary McDonald, Bertrand Bossu and Sam Stewart.

A decent signing I suppose but I don't think he's quite good enough to make up for the loss of Nicholson...not that he is neccessarily a direct replacement.

A couple more good signings and I'll be slightly less pessimistic about the forthcoming season. A decent CB and Striker are a must I think.

Welcome Mark Kerr. You dirty jute mink!

Guest swaddon

To my knowledge, none of Jimmy's new signings have played for Dunfermline! Does this mark a shift in the big man's transfer policy, or has he run out of ex-Pars to sign?

Not sure about this one. He gifted a goal against the huns in the final. He should fit right in next to considine.

He was also the best player on the park in that game. I've always thought of Kerr as a tryer but with little real ability. I'd imagine he'll be the combative midfielder, and MacDonald will be given more creative license. Could be a good partnership.

Decent signing.  :thumbsup:

Will certainly take the pressure off seve now if they can play alongside each other.

A mate of mine has been saying for a number of seasons we've still to replace big Markus so it's possible to say he might just be the one to do this.

If so it's taken about three seasons to do so. SuperKev won't be replaced for another season then and ando the following one  ???;)

Guest swaddon

For CM4 I'd sign Miller, Kerr and Barry Robson and win the league. And to think we could/should have had Robson before he went to Utd. Not like us to miss out on players....

I'd always sign Miller, Kerr, Weatherson from Q***n of the S***h, Tiijani Babangida on a free and usually loan a left winger from somewhere, and always won the league.

ultimatum to arabs midfielder pays off as united powerhouse puts england on hold in favour of pittodrie

Winner Calderwood collects on his Mark Kerr marker

By Paul Third

Published: 03/07/2008

Dundee United midfielder Mark Kerr last night agreed to sign for Aberdeen – after being given an ultimatum by Dons manager Jimmy Calderwood.

Calderwood told Kerr it was now or never – and the gamble paid off when the player agreed to a Pittodrie move.

Kerr has agreed personal terms and will sign a two-year deal on Monday when he completes his medical.

Calderwood said: “We had been speaking to Mark for a long time about coming here and he seemed keen. But, with English clubs involved, I feared the worst.

“A week ago I was told he was going to England but he told me we were still in the running and we have been speaking all week.

“I called him in the morning to say I needed an answer now and wanted him in training tomorrow and then the phone went quiet.

“Mark said he would sign for us but asked if he could start on Monday as he is currently on holiday. I told him since he has agreed, he could have a couple of extra days.â€

Calderwood insists the 26-year-old, who joined the Arabs from Falkirk in 2003, will be an excellent addition to the Dons squad.

He said: “Lee Miller is Mark’s best friend and that has probably helped swing things our way.

“Mark’s fitness levels are phenomenal and he has matured in the last two years. He is defensively aware and he is a consistent player who does not give the ball away.

“It was a wonderful team effort from Dundee United last season in the league – but Mark played a huge role in that. I think he is a lad who wanted a change of scenery after five years at United and I think he will enjoy his time here. He has phenomenal energy levels which is why I have allowed him to start on Monday and I am sure he will fit in very well here.â€

Kerr is relishing his switch to Pittodrie – although he has not ruled out a future move to England.

He said: “I am delighted to finally get everything sorted. I had a few options but in the end I felt Aberdeen was the best one for me at this stage of my career.

“I still want a crack at England but I am still only 26 and I know if I have a couple of decent years at Aberdeen then that chance will come again.

“I felt I did well for Dundee United last season and I want to build on that. I would love to try to break into the Scotland team and I feel moving Aberdeen could help my cause.

“They have done well in recent seasons and I hope I can continue to help them be as successful in the SPL and in Europe."

Kerr joins Gary McDonald, Bertrand Bossu and Sam Stewart as the new recruits in Calderwood’s squad and they could be joined next week by Dutch defender Tim Bakens.

The former RKC Waalwijk centre half, who has expressed an interest in playing for teams outside of Holland, has been offered a contract by the Dons and is now considering a move to Scotland.

Delighted with this signing.  Adds a bit of aggression to our midfield which has been sadly lacking in the that department.  Fair play to the lad as well, probably could have gone to the championship and made more money.  Nice to see a player show a bit of ambition for success as opposed to money

Delighted with this signing.  Adds a bit of aggression to our midfield which has been sadly lacking in the that department.  Fair play to the lad as well, probably could have gone to the championship and made more money.  Nice to see a player show a bit of ambition for success as opposed to money

Was quite refreshing to actually read that article. Good on him and I hope he does well for us!  :thumbsup: