Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Season 2007/2008 - How was it for you?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many lows, not enough highs.

The strange thing is that the highs: Dnipro, Copenhage, Munich(h), celtic in the cup, were stunningly brilliant highs, some of the best I've experienced as a dandy. 

Yet on the other hand we had some of the lowest points I can think of, particularly the two cup semis and probably the worst performance, outside the end of the Pele era, that I have ever witnessed in our defeat at Rugby park aftet Munich.

The league season in general has been poor, with a feeling of disappoint and frustration to often.

The UEFA cup was always going to be a bonus and tbh papered over the fairly substantial cracks in the squad.

Having said all that the season could have been a good one if either the recent well game or a cup semi had gone our way, but they didn't and the fact that I haven't been back since the semifinal tells it's own story.

Spot on,  :thumbsup:, although I think we sometimes forget that we lost half of a fantastic defence in Anderson and Hart, and the board never released the funds to at least try and replace them.  Huge losses and we never really recovered from it.

So frustrating to think what might've been if we had a steady defence and a 15-20 goals a season striker.  Hindsight's a great thing, but the people in the boardroom at Pittodrie have to take some of the blame for this.

As predicted by stoney at the start of the season  :thumbsup:

::)

When does Bamba sign?

Hard to sum up this season.

League- Only a handful of good performances, the fact we played a lot more games this season affected our form hugely but that still doesn't count as an excuse for getting thumped by Hearts, drawing with gretna, losing to Killie, drawing with Smurn.

Domestic Cups- This is all that people will remember this season, not just that we got knocked out in the Semi's but the fact we did it in the most spectacular fashion possible and bottled it when it really mattered to the fans.

Europe- Can't make any complaints, was gutted when we drew Dnipro as I thought whoever we played would beat us and I at least wanted to see a big team. Scraped through the group stages thanks to that brilliant night and Munich was brilliant. :thumbsup:

I would say the season for me has been one of enormous highs and drastic lows. I'm sure this has been said but I couldn't be bothered trawling through it all. Its odd, because there has been no middle ground with us this season where our luck got us through. Something which occured a lot in the previous seasons.

I would say the season for me has been one of enormous highs and drastic lows.

'Ultra-rapid cycling bipolar disorder' is the clinical term for those symptoms!  :thumbsup:

Totally agree though Manc, that's pretty much how I would describe the season too. From the highs of the European nights, to the pain, anger and disgust after the semi-finals.

I'm still considering if I'm going to renew my ST. How we play against the huns, and who is signed will be deciding factors.

"Tall Geranium Syndrome is the clinical term for those symptoms!  :thumbsup:;)

Totally agree though Manc, that's pretty much how I would describe the season too. From the highs of the European nights, to the pain, anger and disgust after the semi-finals.

I'm still considering if I'm going to renew my ST. How we play against the huns, and who is signed will be deciding factors.

Don't think how we play against Rangers would be a reasonable judge for next season. It's more than likely gonna be shite.

Don't think how we play against Rangers would be a reasonable judge for next season. It's more than likely gonna be shite.

Lol at 'tall geranium syndrome', maybe for me but not Manc!  :thumbsup:

What I mean't about how we play against the huns was more referring to the effort and attitude shown from our players that will be here next season, than the 'total football' JC said we were going to play this season

while the cup runs were great (while they lasted) the capitulation to United and the DISGRACEFUL defeat at the hands of QotS destroyed what should have been a great season and another return to Europe.

That basically was it for me, and I made the decision to not put any more cash into the club as a result.

It wasn't a lot of cash, granted, but a couple hundred on merchandise (a top for me and a full strip for the loon), a couple of hats and scarves, and miscellaneous crap like pens and badges and probably a hoodie or so.  Then a couple hundred on tickets and snacks and match programs if I can get to a couple of games when I'm over, mounts up. 

Basically they can forget me spending money on a club that A/ Doesn't invest in players and B/ cheats the fans.

I might still renew my RedWeb subscription, but since it's mostly audio only I might buy a subscription to some English team (and use their feeds to listen to Aberdeen games) so that AFC doesn't even get that out of me.

As for live streaming games, there are sites I can go to to see those games.

Cheated by the club once too often, I'm afraid.  And until I see genuine investment (and the club made MILLIONS this season and haven't spent a penny bringing in a single decent player yet) I won't be spending any cash on the club whatsoever.

Fuck them.

No, fuck Milne and his flying monkeys, the bastard.

I voted to sit on the fence, but after reading your post Kelt, I am in complete agreement.

Milne is happy with mediocrity.

Oh and if the fat orange bastard DARES put on a weakened side against the filth, then he better start think about future job options.  I reckon every Dons fans that goes should demand a refund as well.

Guest ally s

A season of some wonderful highs and almighty lows.

It could and probably should have been a superb season, had Milne invested accordingly in the summer then I'm pretty sure we'd have finished 3rd no problem and made at least 1 cup final.

How would have investing even more money stopped us playing 4-5-1 at home to motherwell and falkirk and man marking danny invincable  :thumbsup:

That would be a criticism of JC then. This is the subject above all others on these forums that normally brings out the most vitriol. As these pages contain written opinions, I fail to understand how some people object to the expression of a contrary view to the one they hold themselves?

The JC is good v. JC is bad does degenerate into a pathetic standard of stupid insults and a complete absence of debate on the other AFC forums, but I heven't seen too many direct criticisms of the manager on DT.

I have no faith that Calderwood is capable of taking the "football affairs" of AFC plc any further forward than we are now, and even if he did get an ambitious budget, have no faith in his ability to recruit right.

As expressed above, I think the reasons for our continued mediocrity (at best) for over a decade now, are above JC.

Guest ally s

How would have investing even more money stopped us playing 4-5-1 at home to motherwell and falkirk and man marking danny invincable  :thumbsup:

If JC had more money to spend we wouldn't need to employ such tactics as the quality of player would be superior to that of the oppostion.

All I wanted was about £200-£300k to be spent on a decent centre half to replace Anderson.

For me it has been a season of complete inconsistency brought about by numerous reasons.  Firstly having a squad as thin as we do was never gonna be conductive to a european campaign of any length.  Same for two cup runs.  We might have been screaming out for this last season (in fact i remember the same discussion about how last season was crap cause we had no decent cup runs) but ultimately i think this is what cost us in the 3 vital games  (vs UTD, QOS and Well on Sat).  Win these 3 games no question this season would have been regarded as one of the best since the early 80's.

While questions can be pointed at JC's tactics - i think thre majority has been enforced - 17 different centre half combo's is not just him, it's injuries , considine forgetting he was a defender, foster believing the hype, an good internationalist become glass (who would have thought J Mac would have been that pish?)

Despite these inconsistencies and having just read what i've written - where do we actually go from here? 

Despite these inconsistencies and having just read what i've written - where do we actually go from here? 

Questions are easier than answers.

Employ the right people in the right places.

From deputy left back to youth team goal-scorer to regular midfielder to scout to coach to manager to Director of Football to Board all the way up to Chairman, right the way through the organisation, if you have a weak link, or any parts of the whole that don't stack up, the organisation falls down.

Responsibilties are usually clear cut. In the business of football, failing on the pitch is as a result of failure in recruitment and/or failure to prepare and/or failure to motivate and/or failure to organise properly. The manager is ultimately responsible for what goes on on the pitch, but the role of his two "superiors" have to be considered before he can take all of the blame.

Guest bloo_toon_red

Pre-split we had only won twice against top 6 opposition.

And now post-split we've won three and been cheated out of a potential 4 extra points in the other two.  Funny old game.

Hit form at the right time.  If only the season was to keep going!!!