Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Season 2007/2008 - How was it for you?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I predicted at the start of the season we would scrape into 6th place which we did, so I didnt really expect much more. The run in Europe was amazing with great home games and great away trips. But then you have to take into account the dismal failings in both semi finals which could have earned us a long awaited trophy.

So many lows not enough highs!

Left so many games at half time this season it was beyond belief never seen aberdeen play so negativley in my puff - and what did we have to lose? Not a thing!

Cup runs were nice but lets be honest the only competition we really had was celtic, hamilton/falkirk should have knocked us out which is quite embarssing! Then theres the eufa cup never tried to win any of the group away games pana game was a joke there was nothing to lose by having a go!

Highs, Beating Celtic in the cup, Drawing with munich, beating copenhagen - but another season passes and we are no better off then we were this time 6 years ago!

Guest bloo_toon_red

Plenty of highs and a few lows.

The lows were very low.  Meekly surrendering in both cup semi finals was extremely hard to take.

In the league we did well against the lesser teams, but didn't challenge the other top 6 teams enough.  Pre-split we had only won twice against top 6 opposition and only drawn twice also, losing every one of our away games to the top 6 so that needs to improve.

Defensively this season the team has been shambolic, especially at set-pieces.  Chopping and changing the defensive formations and the goalkeeper has not helped.

Highs for me were the European trips and the fact we gave such a good account of ourselves in the UEFA Cup against high quality opposition.  In addition the fact we were still chasing down a UEFA Cup spot right up to last Saturday has kept our interest despite some indifferent domestic form.

Certainly been the proverbial rollercoaster ride but I'd probably take this season over last.  Priority next year to sign a captain, a commanding central defender, a left back, Severin to get his form back, and get back into Europe.

So many lows not enough highs!

Left so many games at half time this season it was beyond belief never seen aberdeen play so negativley in my puff - and what did we have to lose? Not a thing!

Cup runs were nice but lets be honest the only competition we really had was celtic, hamilton/falkirk should have knocked us out which is quite embarssing! Then theres the eufa cup never tried to win any of the group away games pana game was a joke there was nothing to lose by having a go!

Highs, Beating Celtic in the cup, Drawing with munich, beating copenhagen - but another season passes and we are no better off then we were this time 6 years ago!

::)

Let's ask the Hibs/Falkirk fans which season they would prefer.  Our one where we didn't give teams a go in Europe or their one where they played some silky football and finished mid table.

Let there be no doubt, we played some right guff this year, but I wouldn't want to swap our season with anyone elses. :thumbsup:

Plenty of highs and a few lows.

The lows were very low.  Meekly surrendering in both cup semi finals was extremely hard to take.

In the league we did well against the lesser teams, but didn't challenge the other top 6 teams enough.  Pre-split we had only won twice against top 6 opposition and only drawn twice also, losing every one of our away games to the top 6 so that needs to improve.

Defensively this season the team has been shambolic, especially at set-pieces.  Chopping and changing the defensive formations and the goalkeeper has not helped.

Highs for me were the European trips and the fact we gave such a good account of ourselves in the UEFA Cup against high quality opposition.  In addition the fact we were still chasing down a UEFA Cup spot right up to last Saturday has kept our interest despite some indifferent domestic form.

Certainly been the proverbial rollercoaster ride but I'd probably take this season over last.  Priority next year to sign a captain, a commanding central defender, a left back, Severin to get his form back, and get back into Europe.

At to that list a 20 goals a season striker and you've got a deal.

:thumbsup:

::)

Let's ask the Hibs/Falkirk fans which season they would prefer.  Our one where we didn't give teams a go in Europe or their one where they played some silky football and finished mid table.

Let there be no doubt, we played some right guff this year, but I wouldn't want to swap our season with anyone elses. :thumbsup:

Rangers?

???

Guest bloo_toon_red

At to that list a 20 goals a season striker and you've got a deal.

:thumbsup:

Miller and Smith getting 15 each will do me.

And Mackie's out of contract next summer so he's due a wee purple patch.  :thumbsup:

Guest swaddon

It was certianly memorable, thanks to the European campaign and the cup runs. Unfortunately, stretching a small squad to all those games took its toll, and that showed in some results.

Some may say that this was not a successful season, but when you think back to recent campaigns (2003-04, 1999-2000 and 1998-99), this was much better than those.

Dragging ourselves up from the gutter will take a long time, but I think this campaign shows that we're heading in the right direction.

This season looks good on paper, and it will no doubt be declared a success, yet I can't help but feel disappointed by it. European run was excellent, but the fans have been let down too often domestically which has to change next year. In too many ways, it has promised much while delivering little.

Some great trips in europe but in the main watched some awful football. Can only think of a handful of matches that I thought we played well in. Even in some of the Uefa games (Bayern and Athens away) we were utter crap. League stuff in the main has been dross and cup semi final defeats were a disgrace that in most seasons would have seen managers sacked. 

Good - Bad - Average

Scottish Premier Dundee Utd 1-0 Aberdeen 04-08-2007  

Scottish Premier Aberdeen 1-1 Hearts 12-08-2007  

Scottish Premier Aberdeen 1-3 Celtic 19-08-2007  

Scottish Premier Hibernian 3-3 Aberdeen 25-08-2007   3-1 up went defensive threw it away

Scottish Premier Kilmarnock 0-1 Aberdeen 01-09-2007  

Scottish Premier Aberdeen 1-2 Motherwell 15-09-2007  

UEFA Cup Aberdeen 0-0 Dnipro 20-09-2007  

Scottish Premier Rangers 3-0 Aberdeen 23-09-2007  

Scottish League Cup Partick 0-2 Aberdeen 26-09-2007  

Scottish Premier Aberdeen 2-0 Gretna 29-09-2007   wish i had left at half time -terrible game

UEFA Cup Dnipro 1-1 Aberdeen 04-10-2007  

Scottish Premier Aberdeen 4-0 St Mirren 07-10-2007  

Scottish Premier Inverness CT 1-2 Aberdeen 21-10-2007  

UEFA Cup Panathinaikos 3-0 Aberdeen 25-10-2007  

Scottish Premier Aberdeen 1-1 Falkirk 28-10-2007  

Scottish League Cup Aberdeen 4-1 Inverness CT 31-10-2007   altho i felt we didnt play well

Scottish Premier Aberdeen 2-0 Dundee Utd 03-11-2007  

UEFA Cup Aberdeen 1-1 Lokomotiv Mos. 08-11-2007  

Scottish Premier Hearts 4-1 Aberdeen 11-11-2007  

Scottish Premier Celtic 3-0 Aberdeen 24-11-2007  

UEFA Cup Atl Madrid 2-0 Aberdeen 29-11-2007  hard to be critical against a team like that

Scottish Premier Aberdeen 3-1 Hibernian 02-12-2007  

Scottish Premier Aberdeen 2-1 Kilmarnock 08-12-2007  

Scottish Premier Motherwell 3-0 Aberdeen 15-12-2007  

UEFA Cup Aberdeen 4-0 FC Copenhagen 20-12-2007  

Scottish Premier Aberdeen 1-1 Rangers 23-12-2007  

Scottish Premier Gretna 1-1 Aberdeen 26-12-2007  

Scottish Premier St Mirren 0-1 Aberdeen 29-12-2007  

Scottish Premier Aberdeen 1-0 Inverness CT 02-01-2008  

Scottish Premier Falkirk 0-0 Aberdeen 05-01-2008  

Scottish FA Cup Falkirk 2-2 Aberdeen 12-01-2008  

Scottish Premier Dundee Utd 3-0 Aberdeen 19-01-2008  

Scottish FA Cup Aberdeen 3-1 Falkirk 22-01-2008