Motherwell v Aberdeen

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are playing Motherwell...can I just remind you of that. Fair enough, they gave us a lesson last time at Fir Park but we should go there with plenty belief we can turn them over. They have very poor recent form and we have decent form. Take the blades away from the wrists just for a second guys eh ?

Given the number of games we have needed to go our way this season in Europe, for top 6 and now in the top 6 we are living some sort of charmed existence at the moment. Until 4:45 tomorrow I am going to think positively even if everyone else wants to be Ian Curtis.

Poor poor performance by the team, another occasion when the team never turned up again this season. Baffling why Walker was taken off for Aluko, as he was the only person on the park who looked up for the game.

And more evidence our manager is on crack

I thought we started well and dominated the opening half hour

I think it was a minute's applause for former Motherwell players Charlie Aitken and Matt Thomson, who both died in recent months.

Don't think so, only aberdeen had on the black arm bands, maybe it was for our european dreams because they died yesterday?

Does anyone know why people were applauding at the end of the game?  ???

Why you would want to applaud a poor performance is way beyond me!

I have no idea, still trying to figure it out!

Got some funny looks storming out of the stadium ranting about "not applauding that shower of s***e"

I thought we started well enough but faded. Didnt start after the break and when they scored it did seem to just be a matter of time. We equalised and were pressing, thought at the time Nicholsons effort was over the line but havent seen it since. Still pressed on and Foster sold the jerseys with a terrible 'pass' to Aluko and they hit us on the break and won the game.

Walker did look interested and got on the ball a lot but quite often gave it away too cheaply but still think Duff should have made way. Foster couldnt pass the ball to an Aberdeen jersey yesterday and was atrocious and by miles the worst player on the park!! Wasnt the worst i've seen us this season but we paid for a lack of fight and desire. That coupled with JC not putting somebody alongside Miller, apart from the 5min period where we actually scored, lost us the game.

Nicholson: it’s time to look at goal-line technology

Calderwood pressing Miller but the attacker is keeping his options open

By Michael Gannon

Published: 12/05/2008

Aberdeen midfielder Barry Nicholson believes it is time to introduce goal-line technology in football after being denied a goal in the Dons’ 2-1 defeat at Motherwell on Saturday.

With the scores at 1-1 Nicholson appeared to have given Aberdeen a late lead at Fir Park but assistant referee Martin Cryans ruled the ball had not crossed the line, although television replays showed the opposite.

The Steelmen proceeded to claim all three points as Chris Porter scored a late winner after Sone Aluko had pulled the Dons level with a spectacular volley.

Defeat ended Aberdeen’s hopes of finishing third in the SPL and qualifying for next season’s Uefa Cup. It was the second controversial decision to cost them in the space of a few weeks.

Zander Diamond had a goal ruled out at Celtic Park three weeks ago when no offence had taken place and Nicholson said the two refereeing errors have hurt his side.

He said: “I thought the ball was in and the television replays showed it was.

“It is another refereeing decision which has cost us. It should have stood and that would have changed the complexion of the game. At 2-1 up we would have sat in a bit more but instead we were pushing forward for the win and got caught on the counterattack.

“It is a difficult one for us to take. Games change on refereeing decisions and it seems to be happening quite often.

“I am not going to criticise referees, they have a difficult job, but two big decisions recently have really cost us.â€

Nicholson continued: “We had the goal disallowed at Parkhead which cost us a point and then the one on Saturday might have cost us three.

“It is about time to look at using technology. I would not want to see the game stopping for every decision but certainly for things such as the ball crossing the line.

“It is disappointing we have not made it back into Europe. We were written off by a lot of people but we managed to hang in there and almost got it down to the last game.â€

Nicholson is hoping to have his future secured within the next two weeks. The midfielder is a free agent in the summer and is in discussion with several clubs in the English Championship and League 1.

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood also held more talks on Friday with Reds forward Lee Miller, who is also out of contract.

The 24-year-old, however, was unable to give the club a firm decision on his plans.

The attacker is keeping his options open but Calderwood wants an answer either way to allow him to plan for next season.

Guest bloo_toon_red

Motherwell wanted it more, that's what it boiled down to.  Their players were chasing down lost causes all over the pitch whereas our own players just didn't look up for the fight at all.

Our team sat too deep, meaning that the numerous aimless long balls either didn't reach their target or the midfield wasn't sufficiently up with play to pick up any lay-offs.  We scarcely deserved our equaliser and I think Aluko probably should've came on at half time.  It was clear by then that none of our players were showing any composure on the ball and instead just looking to hoof the long ball up the flank or up to Miller.  The one time anybody did show any composure was when Mackie took his time to pick out Aluko at the back post with a lovely pass to score.

Touzani and Walker came out (just) with plus points and I'm completely baffled at the decision to take Walker off unless he had picked up a knock.  On the negative side, pretty much everyone else had a stinker and words really cannot express how completely out of his depth that Stuart Duff is.

I still think that there is a real lack of belief in this team.  It doesn't seem that Calderwood is able to fire-up his players for these important matches.  I think it's the players themselves that are the problem rather than Calderwood but I have to say that there are too many hangers-on in this team and I for one am looking forward to this big overhaul that is coming, for better or worse, at least it's going to be something new.