Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Gary MacDonald Signs - Confirmed

width=249 height=212http://www.afc.premiumtv.co.uk/javaImages/f8/b1/0,,10284~3650040,00.jpg[/img]

Aberdeen have confirmed that Oldham Athletic midfielder Gary McDonald has signed a pre-contract agreement with the Pittodrie club that will see him become a Don when his current contract expires in the summer.

The 26 year old former Kilmarnock player has turned down a new offer from the Latics to return to Scotland and will put pen to a two year deal in the north east.

McDonald has played 91 times for Oldham since joining from Killie on a free transfer in the summer of 2006, scoring 12 times, including the spectacular winner in the Boundary Park's shock FA Cup victory over Everton earlier this season.

The midfielder, who can play on the right or in the centre, spent five years at Rugby Park, making 116 appearances and in the debut for the Scotland 'Futures' team three years ago, he scored against Poland.

Gary is delighted that his future has been sorted out. "I've thoroughly enjoyed my time at Oldham and was made a good offer to stay. However, the lure of returning to the SPL with such a great club as Aberdeen was a major factor in my decision and I can't wait for the new season to get underway."

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good stuff.

I will reserve judgement until at least 15 mins into the first game of next season. :thumbsup:

Haha - From what i remember a decent player going forward but one of those players who got moved position every week.  Perfect for us then!!

Aye welcome on board loon.

Hoping he is the first of many.

Speaking to a couple of Killie supporters this morning, who seem to rate him, and were disappointed to lose him when he left

I was going to ask Al, seeing as you are one of those Ayrshire types, if you had the lowdown on this chap.

Paul Wright comments in today's Evening Express:

Former Don Paul Wright is convinced he’s the ideal man to fill Nicholson’s boots after he rejected a deal in favour of heading south.

Wright, now back at Killie coaching their youngsters, worked alongside McDonald at Rugby Park during his playing days and is full of praise for his ex-team-mate.

“Gary was just coming through the ranks at Kilmarnock when I was finishing my career there,†said Wright.

“It was clear he was a player of great potential and he’s a great box-to-box midfielder who will do very well for Aberdeen.

“Gary is the perfect replacement for Barry Nicholson as he’s a similar type of player.

“He might not be as cultured as Barry on the ball but he’s certainly a player in a similar mould.

“He’ll run beyond the strikers and will score goals from midfield.

“I was disappointed when he left Killie but maybe a change was exactly what he needed.

“He’s flourished at Oldham and if Jimmy Calderwood is getting a very good player for nothing.â€

If he is as good as Bernard we'll have a player on our hands, but for injuries Bernard would have been a top player for us.

Welcome aboard Gary. Not as good a player as Nicholson yet but certainly has the potential. Pleasantly surprised to see us signing players before the last week before the season

Looks like a positive signing. Hope he can replace Nicholson which is not an easy job considering how great Nicholson has been. But good to see us being one of the first clubs in SPL to sign someone with a bit of experience in SPL.

Bernard on his day was a great midfielder but didn't produce it enough.