Author Topic: Dons vs RoPs 2nd leg  (Read 7642 times)

Offline wee toon red

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 23
Re: Dons vs RoPs 2nd leg
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2019, 07:08:17 PM »
oof ferguson was outstanding job done hope to never see ash taylor again

What was up with Taylor? Just the usual complaining for the sake of it and needing someone to criticise even when we won a game?
Can you blame the man for going out of his mind temporarily?

Offline ayrshire_don74

• Star Striker
  • Rating: -133
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2019, 07:13:20 PM »
same incompetence as before he just isnt very good, and managed to
shy a ball out for a shy
MR GRUMPY IS HERE

Offline dons8321

• Under 21's
  • Rating: -9
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2019, 07:17:18 PM »
same incompetence as before he just isnt very good, and managed to
shy a ball out for a shy

and let one through his legs in the last couple of minutes. 

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
  • Rating: 204
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2019, 07:27:32 PM »
We're through and that's all that counts in the end.

Is spot on, have played much better and lost.
Know which I'd prefer.
Steve warm his seat up

Offline ayrshire_don74

• Star Striker
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2019, 07:30:00 PM »
ojo bryson leigh back in alot more solid , and hopefully a striker that can score goals from 3 yards
MR GRUMPY IS HERE

Offline SeeBass

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: -81
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2019, 07:46:57 PM »
Am I right in saying Deek now has the most European away victories from any Aberdeen manager??????

Offline Elgindon

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 24
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2019, 07:50:14 PM »

Tempered by having the most preliminary rounds(Im guessing)

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 33
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2019, 07:59:03 PM »
Dreadful performance but as has been said, we are into the next round and that's all that matters for now.

Cosgrove took his penalty well but totally shite otherwise. Gallagher as good as he was last week was fairly anonymous tonight. Hedges...some nice flicks and touches but needs to drive at the oppo penalty box more often. Big Gash...….blameless for their goal, that was McKenna being bullied by a striker 3 -4 inches shorter than himself.

Pass marks to Ferguson, McGinn and Considine (Joe not being assessed, didn't have enough to do other than pick the ball out the net). Everyone else...…..must do better.

Onwards to Georgia next week. I believe the team we face will play the game in the capital Tbilisi as opposed to their home ground. Will make travel arrangements marginally easier for any fans thinking of heading over. I'm a bit of a plane spotter (seriously). As far as I'm aware there is one direct flight to Tbilisi daily from Gatwick by Air Georgian on an Embraer 190 (around 120 seats, long thin tube of a plane and flight takes around 4 and a half hours. Imagine at this late stage, getting seats on it for next Tues/Wed might be difficult). Otherwise I think it's 3 flights minimum going via London or Amsterdam to Talinn or Moscow then onto Tbilisi. Good luck anyone that fancies it
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 08:01:54 PM by Ten Caat »

Offline A llad insane

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 10
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2019, 08:10:41 PM »
Well we won, but far from convincing. Actually feared tonight could be a tad tricky on an artificial surface against a side well into their season.
We looked rusty understandably, hopefully next Thursday we will be a bit sharper.
Also hope Cosgrove gets some heading practice in :frown: Think we will see 3 or 4 changes next week, with Ojo,Bryson ?Leigh all in.
My big positive from tonight & last week has been Niall McGinn, looks like the Niall of old. 

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Rating: 76
  • Not a Jafa
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2019, 08:13:16 PM »
I thought wizz air flew there from London these days? Or is that to the resort out on the coast only?

Time difference was brutal for this one but by the sounds of it, its just as well. We're through, happy enough with that. Although concerns re Cosgrove, that's two games in a row where he's missed clearcut sitters.

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 33
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2019, 08:22:08 PM »
Pretty sure that's a once weekly flight from Luton on a Sunday and is to Kutaisi not Tbilisi

Offline ayrshire_don74

• Star Striker
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2019, 08:30:09 PM »
fair review tc   i will make allowances for pitch but hedges and gallagher i can warm to, however there is a peter pawlett element to them
MR GRUMPY IS HERE

Online LA-Don

• Star Striker
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2019, 08:43:20 PM »
A little surprised at the criticism and negativity. That was a typical DM performance, manage the game and see it out. Tactically went a little more defensive with Campbell ahead of Wright, and we didn’t play with the same attacking pace or urgency we saw last week. Job done and if Sam could have taken chances 3-4 to 1 would not have been unfair tonight.

I’m not an Ash fan but he was fine tonight. My only criticism is Sam and his missed chances. Thought Dean Campbell played well, got a lovely tough and sorry, plays like Ryan Jack. Pretty sure Gallagher was told to be less aggressive going forward tonight so we didn’t see many lung bursting runs. Again, job done.

I also think the surface played a factor, both in team selection and play during the game. No need to go all out and risk injury when the game is under control. Next week I hope to see Leigh, Funso, and Bryson and wonder how much of an effect the last two will have in midfield. We need to boss teams in there and Gallagher and Ferguson are a little blood and guts and will the new guys bring greater creativity.

Still not sure of Ferguson's role but you may see him and Bryson switch between holding and attacking mid. Also, and many apologies, but I do see Ferguson a bit in the Scott Brown mold.   

Offline DantheDon

• Bench Warmer
  • Rating: 1
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2019, 10:04:21 PM »
The tie should have been put to bed earlier but the performances were ok at this stage of the season. Thats us through and weve got a couple of games under our belt now which will help the fitness. Sam could have had 4-5 over the two ties but I think his movement and link up play was quite good. I think he had much more impact than Main who didnt do much when he came on.

Offline KennyFuckinPowers

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 12
  • 2 Kinds of trouble in this world, living, dying.
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2019, 10:36:27 PM »
I'll be honest, I didn't see what everyone seemed to see in Ferguson last season, I thought he was slow, lethargic and guilty of poor passes and needless fouls. Last week, 2nd Half anyway, and for the majority of the 90 minutes tonight, I saw a more rounded player, he seems to excel more prominently in the attacking third as opposed to the sitting role. so hopefully, with Funso Ojo sitting, and the experienced Bryson beside him, he can be a big player for us this year. I thought he was very good tonight.

Cosgrove was very disappointing, 2 glaring opportunities and he blew them, I am very hopeful that he's just rusty and that he'll start putting them away.

Gallagher, I think he looks awfully " Kick & Rush " and that's not necessarily a bad thing, but he does have to learn his next pass, delivery and move a little more smarter if that makes sense, thought McGinn was well marshalled and gifted them the ball several times, and eventually and naturally, tired.

Hedges looks technically gifted and he put in more than enough quality crosses in the 1st Half, which sadly we never took advantage of. Thought the game screamed out for Stevie May & Scott Wright to be honest, as it wore on anyway, to stretch them and put them on the back foot when they started being a bit more brave as the game neared the end.

Yes, we are through, but we need to improve and by some margin, especially offensively. Maybe Wilson match fit can make a difference, but I fully expect us to be more direct and dangerous with McLennan in the 11, Ojo & Bryson in the midfield and Leigh at Left Back. Fingers crossed they all feature against the Georgian mob.
It's a math class, the whole deal. Just like every math class, there's a clown in the front, and everybody hates this clown because he raises his hand, he's answering all the questions. What do we do? Move on. Just fucking move on, ready or not. He's deciding we got to move on, he knows his math, I hadn't even figured out about Santa Claus yet.

Offline ayrshire_don74

• Star Striker
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2019, 11:09:12 PM »
ferguson wanted the ball always , lewis as captain i think maybe a mistake
MR GRUMPY IS HERE

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 17
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2019, 12:05:45 AM »
Not a great performance  but we are through. Worrying the way a team as poor as RoPS still caused us problems at the back especially Taylor who looked very poor at times. Really need today’s injury to be the only one of the season for Devlin as better teams will murder Taylor. Cosgrove again missing sitters. Main did not look any better when he came on. Going to have to hope Wilson turns up this season.  McGinn and Ferguson looked our best players. We will need to be a lot better to get passed the Georgians I suspect.

Online LA-Don

• Star Striker
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2019, 03:52:23 AM »
I suppose something else to add which is perhaps relevant. Starting this round

McKenna - 22
Devlin - 25
Gallagher - 23
Wright - 21
Ferguson - 19
Campbell - 18
Hedges - 24
Cosgrove - 22

We’re a young team, good to get these experiences, surely these guys can only get better.

Online LA-Don

• Star Striker
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2019, 03:57:34 AM »
I'll be honest, I didn't see what everyone seemed to see in Ferguson last season, I thought he was slow, lethargic and guilty of poor passes and needless fouls. Last week, 2nd Half anyway, and for the majority of the 90 minutes tonight, I saw a more rounded player, he seems to excel more prominently in the attacking third as opposed to the sitting role. so hopefully, with Funso Ojo sitting, and the experienced Bryson beside him, he can be a big player for us this year. I thought he was very good tonight.

Cosgrove was very disappointing, 2 glaring opportunities and he blew them, I am very hopeful that he's just rusty and that he'll start putting them away.

Gallagher, I think he looks awfully " Kick & Rush " and that's not necessarily a bad thing, but he does have to learn his next pass, delivery and move a little more smarter if that makes sense, thought McGinn was well marshalled and gifted them the ball several times, and eventually and naturally, tired.

Hedges looks technically gifted and he put in more than enough quality crosses in the 1st Half, which sadly we never took advantage of. Thought the game screamed out for Stevie May & Scott Wright to be honest, as it wore on anyway, to stretch them and put them on the back foot when they started being a bit more brave as the game neared the end.

Yes, we are through, but we need to improve and by some margin, especially offensively. Maybe Wilson match fit can make a difference, but I fully expect us to be more direct and dangerous with McLennan in the 11, Ojo & Bryson in the midfield and Leigh at Left Back. Fingers crossed they all feature against the Georgian mob.

Based on what I’ve seen I’d take Hedges, McGinn, or Gallagher wide before McLennan. Still not convinced by him, too much fumbling and falling over the ball or simply running straight into defenders. The three above in the last two games have looked very creative and produced chances.

Offline DantheDon

• Bench Warmer
  • Rating: 1
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2019, 04:17:23 PM »
Any word of next weeks game being on TV yet?