Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The Genius thread

Irvine Welsh is a genius. That's not an opinion. It's fact.

It's interesting how the arseholes who spout that genius is an over-used term don't have any talent or exceptional skills themselves.

There's no debate here. There is a definition of genius and it either applies or it does not to the individual.

I guess there can be debate as to which dictionary definition is the most accurate and what is exceptional or rare but in many cases, it is quite obvious that he or she is a genius.

The problem with the haters, the unexceptional, the boring, the average, the wannabes-but-never-applied-themselves, the stupid is that they associate genius only with the very few, an Albert Einstein or a Diego Maradona and disregard the actual definition, there being degrees, ranges and scales of mostly everything, genius being no exception.

Irvine's genius is in both his observations and his expression. Is there anything else? Well yeah, there's action of course but in terms of what he sees, how he sees it and his ability to say and relate it, he's one of Scotland's greatest ever thinkers. I've known this for a while but having just read another of his books, probably the best to date (that I've read), it's just so wonderful to share the inside of his head.

There are so many geniuses out there, present and historical, that it's hard to pick for fear of ignoring others.

Given that that's a given, my first five geniuses to be recognised and lauded shall be Scottish: -

Irvine Welsh

Andy Murray

Willie Miller

Alex Harvey

Alasdair Gray

No particular order, and no arguing about who's the better genius here but from football now: -

Pele

Peter Schmeichel

Bobby Moore

Cristiano Ronaldo

George Best

I could list 100 football geniuses and 1,000 overall. But I won't.

Who's going to post the first genius that's going to be disputed?

Oops, as it's a politically correct world, I better post some lassie geniuses: -

Evelyn Glennie

Sylvia Plath

Annie Lennox

Virginia Woolf

Carol Dweck

Edit: I only picked geniuses with one of the last four letters of the alphabet in their names here.

So many to choose from.

I wonder if an exceptionally beautiful woman can be classed genius? Maybe not. Eye of the beholder and that but would need to revisit the definition(s) first.

Gruff Rhys is the prominent talent of the super furry animals and Stan Lee is the guy behind all things marvel.

Richard Gordon once said of Crampsey that he could talk knowledgeably about any subject you could care to think off

George Carlin

This was exactly what I was looking for. I didn't know it at the time, less than 24 hours ago when I started this thread, it was an instinctive, subconscious, subliminal objective rather than a deliberate or conscious one, but I wanted to learn of geniuses that others knew of.

I'd never heard of George Carlin previously. Watching the man on YouTube just now, he is major league genius. I fucking love his outlooks. He presents truth in its simplest most digestible form. Many thanks Tyrant. I feel many hours of watching him coming up in the weeks ahead. Just a fucking brilliant human being.

I'm sure you'll enjoy that Rocket. I've spent a lot of time watching anything and everything he's done. I've always said I'd have liked Carlin to be president of the USA (or the whole world) or some position of power to allow him to put his views into effect. Certainly a great man. And one of the very few "celebs" who I feel actual sadness for due to their passing.