Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

CUP SEMIFINAL COUNTDOWN

It's 8 days till our first semifinal in 8 years.

And in the build up to the match (and to waste some time after finishing night shift) I thought I'd post a few stats about afc, queens and the Scottish Cup.

It's 100yrs since our very first semifinal, in 1908, vs Celtic.  In these days the semis were not held at neutral venues and Pittodrie had the honour of hosting Aberdeen's first ever National Cup Semi Final.  20,000 fans crammed into Pittodrie and the record crowd was to be part of one of the most controversial Cup ties ever played at the old ground.  There was to be no fairytale, however, as Aberdeen lost 1-0 to the eventual winners.

The real story was the crowd disturbances that marred the game.  Celtic players were pelted throughout in response to what was perceived to be rough treatment dished out to the home side, and come the final whistle the Celtic players were bombarded with stones and other missiles.

Overall Aberdeen have appeared in 31 Scottish Cup Semifinals winning 15 ties and losing 16.

Queen of the South in contrast have only played in one semifinal previously.

This came in 1950 where they were beaten 3-0 by Rangers, but only after a 0-0 draw in the original tie infront of over 50,000 fans.  Of note Queen's also overcame Aberdeen 2-1 at Pittodrie in a Quarter Final replay after a 3-3 draw at Palmerston.

Aberdeen's Full Cup Semifinal Record:

1908: Aberdeen 0-1 Celtic (at Pittodrie)

1911: Celtic 1-0 Aberdeen (at Celtic  Park)

1922: Aberdeen 1-3 Morton (at Dens Park)

1924: Aberdeen 0-0 Hibs

REPLAY  Hibs 0-0 Aberdeen

2nd REPLAY Aberdeen 0-1 Hibs

1926: Aberdeen 1-2 Celtic

1935: Aberdeen 0-1 Hamilton

1937: Aberdeen 2-0 Morton

1939: Aberdeen 1-1 Motherwell

REPLAY Motherwell 3-1 Aberdeen

1947: Aberdeen 2-0 Arbroath

1953: Aberdeen 1-1 Third Lanark

REPLAY Third Lanark 1-2 Aberdeen

1954: Aberdeen 6-0 Rangers

1955: Aberdeen 2-2 Clyde

REPLAY Clyde 1-0 Aberdeen

1959: Aberdeen 1-1 Third Lanark

REPLAY Third Lanark 0-1 Aberdeen

1966: Aberdeen 0-0 Rangers

REPLAY Rangers 2-1 Aberdeen

1967: Aberdeen 1-0 Dundee United

1969: Aberdeen 1-6 Rangers

1970: Aberdeen 1-0 Kilmarnock

1978: Aberdeen 4-2 Partick Thistle

1979: Aberdeen 1-2 Hibernian

1980: Aberdeen 0-1 Rangers

1982: Aberdeen 1-1 St Mirren

REPLAY St Mirren 2-3 Aberdeen

1983: Aberdeen 1-0 Celtic

1984: Aberdeen 2-0 Dundee

1985: Aberdeen 0-0 Dundee United

REPLAY Dundee United 2-1 Aberdeen

1986: Aberdeen 3-0 Hibernian

1988: Aberdeen 0-0 Dundee United

REPLAY Dundee United 1-1 Aberdeen (aet)

2nd REPLAY Aberdeen 0-1 Dundee United

1990: Aberdeen 4-0 Dundee United

1993: Aberdeen 1-0 Hibernian

1994: Aberdeen 1-1 Dundee United

REPLAY Dundee United 1-0 Aberdeen

1996: Aberdeen 1-2 Hearts

2000: Aberdeen 2-1 Hibernian

OVERALL RECORD:

TIES: Won 15 Loss 16

MATCHES:  Won 15 Draw 12 Loss 16

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see the tradition of throwing shit at Timothy was in place 100 years ago. Wonder if it was snowbaws or just rolled up ultras display items back then. If anyone gets done for coin throwing at huns or tims games they can now claim it to be a ' celebration of an ancient tradition our community has been enjoying for hundreds of years'. Get it right back round the cunts.  8)

7 DAYS TO GO!!

Aberdeen v Queen of the South - The complete record

Aberdeen  draws Queens

League 20 10 10

FA Cup 2 2 1

League Cup 11 0 2

Total 33 12 13

Cup Record:

1939:

4th Round Aberdeen 2-0 Queen of the South

1950:

Quarter Final Queen of the South 3-3 Aberdeen

QF REPLAY Aberdeen 1-2 Queen of the South

2003:

3rd Round Queen of the South 0-0 Aberdeen

3rd Rnd REPLAY Aberdeen 4-1 Queen of the South

Steve Tosh who played for us in the last match between the sides will be lining up against us on Saturday.

The teams last time out were:

Aberdeen: Preece ,Anderson ,McGuire (McAllister ,76 ) ,Deloumeaux (Rutkiewicz ,72 ) ,Payne ,O'Donoghue ,Tosh (Fabiano ,76 ) ,Sheerin ,Clark ,Young ,D'Jaffo

Subs not used: Kjaer,Mackie,

Queen of Sth: Scott ,Aitken ,Anderson ,Thomson ,Renicks ,O'Neill (Weatherson ,65 ) ,Bowey ,McColligan ,McLaughlin ,O'Connor (Lyle ,55 ) ,Paton (McAlpine ,85)

Subs not used Jamie Campbell,Allan,

Bookings: Bowey (Queen of Sth)

Attendance: 6150

Referee: Garry Mitchell (Scotland)

Guest swaddon

I don't want to put a downer on this, but I'm not that confident of victory on Saturday. I have a feeling that some of our lads will be strolling on to the turf expecting to turn up and win, and that will count against us.

I notice some fans are thinking the same, that it's "only Queen of the South". Well, it was "only" Stenhousemuir, Queens Park, Livingston (when they were in the Second Division), Skonto Riga and Zalgiris Vilnius that have embarassed us in the last 10-15 years.

In earlier rounds, i'd be a bit more wary of a shock happening here. I'm hoping the fact that it's a semi final and a place in Europe is at stake, will prevent any players from trying to stroll through the match.

You say that, but was it not a semi against the arabs? They still didn't turn up. I hope the boys don't turn up thinking the job is near enough done. Its still a big IF, to make the cup final then can we even think about Europe. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed this week.

You say that, but was it not a semi against the arabs? They still didn't turn up. I hope the boys don't turn up thinking the job is near enough done. Its still a big IF, to make the cup final then can we even think about Europe. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed this week.

We were just beaten by a better team in the CIS. QOS are NOT a better team, so when there is so much at stake, I think we should take care of it.

We were just beaten by a better team in the CIS. QOS are NOT a better team, so when there is so much at stake, I think we should take care of it.

All I'm saying is, that i don't go into Dons games with confidence because they let me down. View everything with pessimism however and things can only get better  ;)  But seriously though, the cup is about who the better team is on the day. I agree, we should be better than them, but the cup is always a bit special. I cannot wait though!  :thumbsup:  :AFC::beers::wino:

I'm usually the most pessimistic Dons fan, but trust me, we'll win the semi and be back there a few weeks later to play the forces of darkness in the final :thumbsup:

I'll raise a toast to that then :thumbsup:  Here's to hoping!  :beers: Also, beating the huns in the final would be AMAZING.

Guest swaddon

I'll raise a toast to that then :thumbsup:  Here's to hoping!  :beers: Also, beating the huns in the final would be AMAZING.

The huns won't be in the final.

Calderwood is defiant despite the yellow peril

By Paul Third

Published: 09/04/2008

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood will not let the threat of losing several of his players for the Scottish Cup final affect his team selection on Saturday.

The Dons are 90 minutes from their first cup final appearance in eight years but go into the semi-final against Queen of the South with five players a yellow card away from missing the final if victorious.

Zander Diamond, Alan Maybury, Lee Miller, Josh Walker and Derek Young, who is struggling with an injury, will be suspended for the next game in the competition if they are booked on Saturday.

Calderwood, however, will not allow the prospect of losing key players to change his team selection.

He said: “The only thing we have to focus on is winning on Saturday and getting to the final. Only then can we worry about who is available and who isn’t.

“The semi-final is the game everybody wants to win and we need our best players available. If we lose a player due to a mistimed tackle then it will be disappointing but it is a risk we have to take. We are not in a position to rest players for a game this important.â€

Queen of the South have similar problems with midfielder Paul Burns, former Don Neil MacFarlane and Andy Aitken also a booking away from missing a possible final appearance on May 24.

Calderwood feels his players are rediscovering the winning habit at just the right time as he prepares for Saturday’s lunchtime game at Hampden.

Victory against Falkirk at Pittodrie on Monday ensured the Dons of a top six finish and the Aberdeen manager believes the result was as important for his players’ morale as it was for the club.

Calderwood said: “We are unbeaten in six matches which is brilliant as it shows we are gaining a bit of momentum.

“The performances have not been brilliant by any means but we have found the knack of winning ugly again and that is important.

“For the players, the top six was so important and it means we can now look forward to games which will decide the league title and Europe and, hopefully, play in the cup final.â€

Their SPL top six hopes decided, Calderwood is now fully focused on getting past First Division side Queens at Hampden but, having watched his opponents draw with Stirling Albion on Saturday, he has seen enough to know Gordon Chisholm’s men are a threat.

He said: “Queens were without Sean O’Connor, who is so important for them. They are a solid unit and will be very tough to break down. “They have strong physical players at the back and Stevie Tosh runs the show in midfield for them.â€

I don't want to put a downer on this, but I'm not that confident of victory on Saturday. I have a feeling that some of our lads will be strolling on to the turf expecting to turn up and win, and that will count against us.

I notice some fans are thinking the same, that it's "only Queen of the South". Well, it was "only" Stenhousemuir, Queens Park, Livingston (when they were in the Second Division), Skonto Riga and Zalgiris Vilnius that have embarassed us in the last 10-15 years.

Not to mention Bohemians :hammer: