Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Dons - Hearts

And I might come in for stick here, but Lewis Ferguson, his goal aside, was poor today, and has been for some time now, I think once we get bodies back and can shuffle Players back into their positions, McGeouch should replace Ferguson in the 11, I simply don't rate the boy and never have, he has shown brief glimpses of potential, but he's nowhere near consistent enough. Wouldn't mind seeing a bit more decisiveness from Hedges either, he's getting into the right positions but has made some proper poor decisions of late, hoping he's still getting back to full fitness and it'll come with that. 

Totally agree Kenny.

As if I'd written it myself. Fergie lacks composure. Has pretty limited skill and only has a right foot. Should've turned into a better player by now.

Hedges just needs to make better decisions. But we do have a world class striking coach, so surely he'll improve. Did think that he's looked sharper with each game though.

• Like 2

I never really rated Jack, and see Ferguson similarly, although certainly different types of player. But at the same time, both are now internationalists and are rated highly by those in the game. Suppose I’ll say we have the amateur eye. Similarly, thought willo flood was a super player, many thought he was piss! 
Home to Motherwell a must win before the international break, then at United and at Celtic. If we’ve truly turned the corner I’d expect to beat United and get at least a point from a very average Celtic to finish the month.

8 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

I never really rated Jack, and see Ferguson similarly, although certainly different types of player. But at the same time, both are now internationalists and are rated highly by those in the game. Suppose I’ll say we have the amateur eye. Similarly, thought willo flood was a super player, many thought he was piss! 
Home to Motherwell a must win before the international break, then at United and at Celtic. If we’ve truly turned the corner I’d expect to beat United and get at least a point from a very average Celtic to finish the month.

I think that's probably the difference between watching midfielders, specifically, on the TV rather than at games. You miss a lot of the work they do, alongside the position that they leave others in. Flood was okay on the ball and hassling defenders, but Jack would constantly have to cover for him because of his positional indiscipline. Because Flood was seen to be doing the press, he'd look like the proactive guy doing all the work, rather than the man leaving gaping holes behind him. Jack was absolutely brilliant at reading the game and placing himself where the game was heading. Ferguson, several times yesterday got ahead of the game in both attack and defence being in the right place for the break. His reading of the game is very good, but he's struggled this season with the formation and is noticeably better since the Hibs game (although I think, like Jack, his head goes down too quickly, hence his form dips when the team's does). What he did well yesterday was use the space he got on the ball to try the quick passes through to the strikers, which has been missing all season, mostly due to pish movement in front. He still has acres to go in terms of improvement, but he's good enough to get there. He's as good as Jack was at his age. Campbell should be in that league too, and could be if he takes his chance. His positional sense is also very good (hence he can drop into fullback in a way that Ojo can't) but his awareness of the pass is much better (although he'll also give the ball away trying the difficult pass more often). If he could work on his physical side, he'd be better than Ferguson, he's just not aggressive enough. I'd take the £6M for Ferguson in January and give Campbell an extended run there.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Panda said:

On Ferguson, I agree I don't think he was great. The chance he had at the start of the second half where he pretty much passed the ball to the keeper, then another one when we had Hearts stretched, loads of options, and he tries to take on two players and loses it. He's nowhere near as good as he thinks he is. Always wants to win the game himself rather than pass it.

But...what he does have is heading ability. He scores a good goal, was unlucky with another header, scored a few weeks ago against Celtic in the air. You take him out of the team and you lose that. Only other player in midfield who might have that would be Jenks who is quite tall, but don't think he's done enough to justify starting games and not actually seen him win a header either.

Not disputing he has a goal in him, and he's certainly won us a few games with important goals, he does have that physical advantage over most CM's in the squad, and the League probably, but as a Midfielder, I think he could do the basics a lot better. I understand what @RicoS321 is saying about his movement off the ball etc... but he still has too many poor passes in him, too many needless fouls, poor decisions & he's quite cumbersome ( If that is the correct term ) I think we'd be a better Footballing team replacing him for McGeouch in an overall 11, but then again, you do risk losing that goal threat. It's a tough one, maybe his heart isn't in it, maybe has it set on a move down to England? I don't feel proud sitting here being negative about one of our own Players, I just want the very best for us as a Club, and I think in Ferguson's situation, taking as much as we can for him would benefit all parties concerned. 

If you look at McGeouch as an example, his movement off the ball is good, he very rarely misplaces a pass and he keeps us ticking along nicely, as well as being box to box, he just doesn't have that physicality or goal threat that Ferguson carries. Who was the young Player McInnes gave a debut too a year or so ago? Big lad but very young, think he plays CM as well, hopefully working hard behind the scenes with him, Duncan I think it was? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, KennyFuckinPowers said:

Who was the young Player McInnes gave a debut too a year or so ago? Big lad but very young, think he plays CM as well, hopefully working hard behind the scenes with him, Duncan I think it was? 

Ryan Duncan.

Currently on loan at Peterhead

Enjoyed those highlights and definitely seem to correlate with what they were saying on sportsound. Decent passing and Ferguson looked up for it. Surely we have a deal in place for him to go in the summer. I’d rather that than Jan as you never get a good deal then.

Gordon looked good as per, that save from Ramirez was very good. Just such a lanky fuck so has great reach.

2 hours ago, manc_don said:

Enjoyed those highlights and definitely seem to correlate with what they were saying on sportsound. Decent passing and Ferguson looked up for it. Surely we have a deal in place for him to go in the summer. I’d rather that than Jan as you never get a good deal then.

Gordon looked good as per, that save from Ramirez was very good. Just such a lanky fuck so has great reach.

Gordon is one of the few keepers who I've seen at pittodrie this century, where I've been celebrating goals before realising he's actually saved it. He did it a few times in his first spell for hearts and I was on my feet again at the weekend. It was the strength of his hand behind the save. Some keepers would have got to it as quickly, but not many would have kept it out. 

Birmingham are pretty good for an over payment in January, maybe give them a shout. Otherwise a 6 month loan back with £4M up front from Watford or whoever.