Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Irvine in the Daily Ranger

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"When Irvine moved from Dundee to Pittodrie it was at a time when the club were always competing in the league and cups, every single season"  ???

It was frickin Falkirk ya pie. Good old Daily Ranger journalists,wankers

That's a lie to be honest.

Diamond or Irvine?

Diamond every day of the week for me.

mmm tough one to be honest, Irvine wasn't great but i don't think Diamond is that good either plus i think the standard of football is not the same since the 90's even though we are doing better in Europe.

Diamond dives in to much for me and is still raw, still has the making of being a good player.

That's a lie to be honest.

Diamond or Irvine?

Diamond every day of the week for me.

Irvine for me. When he broke in to the Scotland team I thought he was doing very well. Good for 5-10 goals a season as well. I think your assessment of Irvine could be turned the other way in that he wasn't as good as those who came before him but still better than what we have now. He wasn't feart to tackle, was good in the air but was let down by his passing inability and lacked grace.

Somebody mentioned Considine in this thread but he couldn't lace big Dobbins boots.

I wouldn't recommend Irvine's autobiography to anybody though...

Irvine for me. When he broke in to the Scotland team I thought he was doing very well. Good for 5-10 goals a season as well. I think your assessment of Irvine could be turned the other way in that he wasn't as good as those who came before him but still better than what we have now. He wasn't feart to tackle, was good in the air but was let down by his passing inability and lacked grace.

Somebody mentioned Considine in this thread but he couldn't lace big Dobbins boots.

I wouldn't recommend Irvine's autobiography to anybody though...

Could say the same for Zander these days.

Guest ally s

I'd say there were definite similarities between Diamond and Irvine.  Both dangerous at set peices, good for the odd goal, and solid in the tackle.  Nothing fancy about their football they just get stuck in.

Between 90 & 94, Irvine was one of the best central defenders in Scotland & international recognition proves this.

Diamond has only recently become the best defender at Aberdeen & is nowhere near the Scotland squad.

Similar types of player, but in terms of stature, no comparison.

I think it was Ally McCoist I once read as saying something about Irvine being so deceptive, that he was such a nice guy but was the toughest tackling centre-half he'd come up against.  Not an all-time great, but a fine old-fashioned centre-half nonetheless.

Between 90 & 94, Irvine was one of the best central defenders in Scotland & international recognition proves this.

Diamond has only recently become the best defender at Aberdeen & is nowhere near the Scotland squad.

Similar types of player, but in terms of stature, no comparison.

I think it was Ally McCoist I once read as saying something about Irvine being so deceptive, that he was such a nice guy but was the toughest tackling centre-half he'd come up against.  Not an all-time great, but a fine old-fashioned centre-half nonetheless.

I wholeheartedly agree with that.

I don't think Scotland recognition should count for anything, ever.  ;)

Look at guys like Dave Bowman, Mike Galloway and Gary MacKay who got caps, and yet Brian Grant never.

Similarly, Frank McDougall was never capped, but was the most lethal striker in Scotland at the time he played for us.