Cup final team selection

With DM stating that the squad are playing for the right to start in the cup final, who do you think deserve the right to be in the starting 11?  One more game up in Inverness before the big day but on last nights performance, who do you think should get the nod?

Did the formation against Partick work well enough to justify using it against Timmy?  Did McGinn do enough to back up his stake in the starting team?

Now, personally,  I don't have a scooby when it comes to formations etc but I'd like to see Stockley start if it's a choice of him or Rooney. 

For the back 4 I reckon:

Logan O'connor Considine Shinnie should be starting....

.... and I'll leave the rest up to you fine folk.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, controversial but I'd go with

Lewis

Logan O'Connor considine shinnie

Jack McLean

McGinn Maddison Hayes

Stockley

Rooney is definitely a goal scorer but he's not on form and doesn't cause defenses a lot of problems. Stockley definitely provides more of a challenge. Maddison has to start and if we're going to try and win the game this front 4 does mean Celtic have to defend/respect us.

With DM stating that the squad are playing for the right to start in the cup final, who do you think deserve the right to be in the starting 11?  One more game up in Inverness before the big day but on last nights performance, who do you think should get the nod?

Did the formation against Partick work well enough to justify using it against Timmy?  Did McGinn do enough to back up his stake in the starting team?

Now, personally,  I don't have a scooby when it comes to formations etc but I'd like to see Stockley start if it's a choice of him or Rooney. 

For the back 4 I reckon:

Logan O'connor Considine Shinnie should be starting....

.... and I'll leave the rest up to you fine folk.

I agree with your back 4 & if we are playing a lone striker i would play Stockley over Rooney, who i happen to think is looking sluggish & out of condition.

Well so far I think we have sorted DM's starting back 4.  Also seems we are keeping Rooney as super-sub.

Gets a bit tricky now though.  He said players are auditioning for the right to start, then he drops McGinn against Partick.  We weren't perfect but I thought the formation worked well.  I was down at the game and I could tell DM was desperate to get Niall on but he didn't have a good game atall for the time he was on.  He hasn't got a great record against the tims either so....

....Should he start?

We all know Derek keeps an eye on this site for inspiration so keep the ideas coming in  :laughing:

Lewis

Jack McLean

McGinn Maddison Hayes

Stockley

Rooney is definitely a goal scorer but he's not on form and doesn't cause defenses a lot of problems. Stockley definitely provides more of a challenge. Maddison has to start and if we're going to try and win the game this front 4 does mean Celtic have to defend/respect us.

Don't think there is anything controversial about it apart from McGinn starting. He's shite against the tims. I'd swap him for Burns. Put the rockets up him and see what happens.

The controversial thing is dropping Rooney. He's a poacher and a goal scorer but I'd honestly like to see Stockley given a run. Rooney doesn't really hold the ball up that well, not overly strong in the air, and I don't recall him ever scoring from outside the box, just think Stockley could provide move.

The controversial thing is dropping Rooney. He's a poacher and a goal scorer but I'd honestly like to see Stockley given a run. Rooney doesn't really hold the ball up that well, not overly strong in the air, and I don't recall him ever scoring from outside the box, just think Stockley could provide move.

Ha ha no I knew what you were getting at, but Rooney isn't playing well at all at the moment so that's why I don't think it's controversial.  By all means, bring him on as a sub, but he's just not doing it from the start.  As you say, Stockley may offer more but he needs to be a bit more alert.  Could and probably should have got more on Friday.

Ha ha no I knew what you were getting at, but Rooney isn't playing well at all at the moment so that's why I don't think it's controversial.  By all means, bring him on as a sub, but he's just not doing it from the start.  As you say, Stockley may offer more but he needs to be a bit more alert.  Could and probably should have got more on Friday.

I like the whole idea of 442, especially at Pittodrie, but for me the 2 strikers would need to have 1 of them mobile, problem is neither of ours is.  I still think Miles Storey could be well suited to that role or even Niall.

Must admit to being really disappointed with Rooneys workrate this season, looks like he is carrying a bit of weight t.b.h & Stockley is definately more effective in the air i.m.o

If we play 2 up top, say Rooney/Storey and Stockley, then you have to drop Maddison. Perhaps that's the plan after January when he goes back south. Maddison is not a wide player and playing him in the middle with Jack (or McLean/Shinnie) with Hayes and McGinn wide leaves us really lightweight. You can't have Hayes, McGinn, and Maddison in a 4 man midfield in my opinion,  especially in Scottish football.

Lewis

Jack McLean

McGinn Maddison Hayes

Stockley

Sadly, I think McInnes will revert to type...Tayor/Reynolds at CB, Consi at FB, Shinnie in midfield, Mclean instead of Maddison.

Don't think there is anything controversial about it apart from McGinn starting. He's shite against the tims. I'd swap him for Burns. Put the rockets up him and see what happens.

Most of our players are shite against the tims..

Rooney has a decent record against them. If we get the ball to him in the box, he'll score, generally. We know that, we certainly don't know that about Stockley and Rooney has done it against Celtic but we HAVE to get the ball to him in there.  Stockley scored a great goal on Friday, but he looked very ropey up to that point, if he hadn't scored that goal on Friday no one would be calling for him to start in the final. I think we should go with the guy who has done it over a period of time.

Most of our players are shite against the tims..

You have history for being an apologist for wrong causes.

You hated it when I criticised McGinn. You argued he was our best asset. You picked a fight for the sake of it.

And lost.

Like you hated it when I criticised Calderwood.

Like you hated it when I criticised Langfield.

You have history for being an apologist for wrong causes.

You hated it when I criticised McGinn. You argued he was our best asset. You picked a fight for the sake of it.

And lost.

Like you hated it when I criticised Calderwood.

Like you hated it when I criticised Langfield.

Utter lies.

Provide evidence or apologise.

GK. Lewis

RB. Logan

CB. O'Connor

CB. Considine

LB. Shinnie

CDM. Jack ©

CDM. McLean

RM. Burns

CAM. Maddison

LM. Hayes

ST. Stockley

McGinn usually posts missing vs his boyhood heroes, Reynolds has taken over Considine in terms of being a card & penalty waiting to happen vs this mob, play our own game, and by that I mean play football on the deck, quick interchanging and getting crosses into the box. I hope we don't put 10 men behind the ball and then hit on the counter, as Dhims will eventually break us down, let's fucking give them something to think about, for example, the last 10-15 minutes vs them at Pittodrie recently, they did not like, and had the game went on an extra 5 minutes, I believe we'd have scored.

Rooney, as much of a goal threat as he is, just isn't doing anything else so far this season, his hold up and link up play is atrocious and he's honking aerially, Stockley more of a nuisance for me, it's not a bad sub to use if it's not working.

Reading some of the posts from last night, was someone on the sauce? Bit aggro to say the least.

Lewis

Logan, O'Connor, Consi, Shinnie

McGinn, Jack, Maddison, McLean, Hayes

Rooney

Is how I think we'll line up.

This is exactly the team I think McInnes will start.

Not on the sauce. Just sickening to see an unprovoked attack on a fellow Dons fan and his lapdog backing it up.

The question I have is why - now that the season was over by October and we are too far back to catch Celtic - has it taken until now to put some obvious footballers in the right positions?

Why did he not start Maddison v. the OF?

Why has he not been playing Shinnie in his best position?

Why hasn't he seen fit to develop Considine in the CB role when it was clear that Taylor and Reynolds were struggling?

Reading some of the posts from last night, was someone on the sauce? Bit aggro to say the least.

Lewis

Rooney

Sadly that's pretty much normal, you get used to it after a while...  ::)

I reckon that's our strongest possible team as things stand, everyone seems to be fit so see no reason not to play that line up.  The CB pairing is untested which isnt ideal in such a vital game but given the alternatives it's probably still the best option.

It also leaves Burns to inject some pace off the bench when the defense start to tire and Stockely as a useful option should we need a battering ram too.

In an ideal world McLean would make way for Storie but given we've seen next to nothing of him you've got to assume he's not showing enough to prove hes worth of a chance, which is a shame as he looked good when he first broke through.

Lewis

Rooney

That's the team I would go with as well. 

That's the team I would go with as well.

It's not necessarily the team I would go with but it's the team that McInnes will start with.

I would nail on nine of them but the only players vulnerable for me is either McLean or McGinn. If either didn't work like fuck in the days leading up to selection and didn't respond with a good attitude to the bollocking that both should have had (assuming our manager is capable of seeing the need for it and then delivering it properly) then it's right to sideline one of them to the bench for the final. It's McInnes's lack of strength in the middle of the park that has hurt us big time already this season. He hasn't recruited a good enough balance in midfield.

But he will go with that 11 in that formation. It's time to drop his stubbornness and stupidity. He can't pretend he's a genius anymore. This is a final and he doesn't have the balls to give those who need a rocket a rocket.

This is exactly the team I think McInnes will start.

Not on the sauce. Just sickening to see an unprovoked attack on a fellow Dons fan and his lapdog backing it up.

The question I have is why - now that the season was over by October and we are too far back to catch Celtic - has it taken until now to put some obvious footballers in the right positions?

Why did he not start Maddison v. the OF?

Why has he not been playing Shinnie in his best position?

Why hasn't he seen fit to develop Considine in the CB role when it was clear that Taylor and Reynolds were struggling?

Part of it is down to injuries.

Jack out pushes Shinnie into midfield meaning Considine has to cover LB.

Considine was a central defender long before he was being pushed out to the left back role. He's OK at LB, a lot better than he used to be but he's always been a central defender playing left back rather than the other way around.

Maddison not starting against Rangers was baffling. Its the rangers 2016 not Gazza and co we were facing. We are good enough to beat them on our own patch without inviting them onto us. They may get most of the play when playing livi but that doesnt mean we should allow them the same at our patch.

I wouldn't let McGinn anywhere near the pitch on final day. Too much of a passenger when we play his heroes, bad enough when he choses not to turn up for lesser games, even more frustrating when he does it against his idols. SHame really as an excellent player on his day.

Going back to my original point, Is it not a bit telling that after DM has said he is using the remaining games to let the players show they deserve to start in the final he drops McGinn to the bench?

If it was his intention to let Niall know he wants him to pull his finger out a bit then I can't see him starting the final because he was pretty gash when he came on at Partick.

I wouldn't let McGinn anywhere near the pitch on final day. Too much of a passenger when we play his heroes, bad enough when he choses not to turn up for lesser games, even more frustrating when he does it against his idols. SHame really as an excellent player on his day.

I get that he's been pish in some of the Celtic games, but I still genuinely think it's got sod all to do with him playing for them in the past or having any affection towards them. He's always singled out for close attention in these games, which I'd say is the main reason hes not as good as he could be. Looking lazy at times does him no favours though admittedly, so I do get the frustration.