Shaughnessy: we have to keep winning

JOE SHAUGHNESSY admits Aberdeen need to go on a winning streak to keep packing out Pittodrie.

The Dons youngster was thrilled to see his first full house with a 20,000 crowd for the 2-0 defeat to Celtic on Saturday.

And he knows what it will take to keep the fans flocking back.

He said: “It’s really important the crowd stay with us. They were amazing and it’s the first time I’ve seen the stadium packed out here.

“It gave us a lift and hopefully they will stay with us and we can get a big win next week.

“It makes a real difference when you are getting big crowds at home. As a player it’s great to walk out the tunnel and see the seats are full.

“There is potential here to fill the place every week but we have to keep winning. If we do I am sure they will keep coming.

“The fans were right behind us all the way against Celtic and going down to 10 men seemed to put them behind us even more.

“We lost the game but the performance was good and we didn’t let Celtic break us down. Next week hopefully we will bounce back.”

The Dons held their own against the Hoops before home keeper Jamie Langfield’s red card on the brink of half-time.

Shaughnessy said: “The red card was the turning point. It’s hard enough playing against Celtic at the best of times but when you go down to 10 men it makes it even harder.

“We did well with 10 and didn’t let them get any clear chances. Even their second goal wasn’t a clear chance.”

This non-story aside I was pretty impressed with the loon on Saturday. He was clearly looking to make Samaras aware from early on that he wasn't going to get time on the ball. Shaughnessy was hard but fair in the tackles and Samaras look terrified. Had Shaughnessy been at centre back for the goal things might have been different. A player that I really rate. I wish we had a left back of the same mould.

This non-story aside I was pretty impressed with the loon on Saturday. He was clearly looking to make Samaras aware from early on that he wasn't going to get time on the ball. Shaughnessy was hard but fair in the tackles and Samaras look terrified. Had Shaughnessy been at centre back for the goal things might have been different. A player that I really rate. I wish we had a left back of the same mould.

Fully agree. Good that he's had experience at full back, but we can't piss about with our most talented young players by playing them out of position.

Fully agree. Good that he's had experience at full back, but we can't piss about with our most talented young players by playing them out of position.

Sometimes it good development though Mav. Im thinking of Mcleish getting played in centre mid when he first came into the team because Willie Garner was the centre half. It doesnt always harm them