Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Hillsborough

Kowalski

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone at the FA been implicated in this by the way?

According to several Tottenham fans they came very close to a similar situation in the 1981 semi final with wolves

Be interesting to know the experiences of any Leeds fans in the 1987 semi final or in fact Liverpool fans in the 1988 one

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/sep/12/hillsborough-truth-about-causes-of-disaster?intcmp=239

The Hillsborough Panel found the safety of fans admitted to the terrace at the Leppings Lane end of the ground was "compromised at every level". From the condition of the turnstiles to the management of the crowd, alterations to the terrace, the construction of the "pens" in which fans were held, the placement of the crush barriers and the access to the fateful central pens via a tunnel with a one in six gradient. The deficiencies were "well known" and made the crush on 15 April 1989 foreseeable.

According to documents disclosed to the inquiry, there was a serious crush on the terrace at the 1981 FA Cup semi-final between Tottenham Hotspur and Wolverhampton Wanderers in which "many people were injured and fatalities narrowly avoided". New documents show following that incident there was a breakdown in the relationship between Sheffield Wednesday and South Yorkshire Police, which considered the capacity of the terrace too high at 10,100.

The ground was not used for semi finals again until 1987, by which time there had been various moderations and alterations – none of which led to revised safety certificates. Recommendations to feed the pens from designated turnstiles, enabling the club to monitor the number of fans in each one, were ignored because it would cost too much.

"It is evident from the disclosed documents that South Yorkshire Police were preoccupied with crowd management [but] ... Sheffield Wednesday's primary concern was to limit costs." The issue of congested access to the turnstiles remained unresolved, with over 24,000 fans entering through 23 turnstiles at Leppings Lane. The panel found that key issues were not "discussed or recorded" at annual safety inspections. There was a delayed kick off at the 1987 FA Cup semi-final and crushing at the 1988 semi-final. The debriefings from both were "inadequate".

The FA should never have used Hillsborough until it had the appropriate safety certification.

This makes the FA every bit as culpable, if not more so, than South Yorkshire Police.

Have to admit, I was in the Boris Johnston camp for a while, in that it seemed Liverpool were constantly wallowing in self pity but after yesterday's revelations I cannot have anything other than complete sympathy for all families related to the 96.  It must be one of the biggest cover ups in UK history.

I'm sorry but this bothers me.

What happened that day was an accident, a terrible accident but an accident all the same. No-one conspired to kill a load of Liverpool fans.

Poor decisions were made, people behaved as people do and huge confusion ensued resulting in people dying.

I know as a parent that if it was my child I would want someone to blame but surely there comes a time when you have to accept that no matter who did what, it was still an accident.

Likewise I'd like to believe that if i was in a position that could have changed events I would have done so but in reality I'm sure it was fucking carnage whereby no one was really certain what was actually happening.

It's all very well trying to anoint blame and there are several things on both sides that could have been done differently, but once the shit hits the fan it is human nature to self preserve.

RIP not the just the 96 of Hillsborough but the hundreds that have passed away in dreadful accidents at football grounds.

Why does this bother you? Do you actually think that or is it because you don't like Liverpool as a club? Actually it doesn't matter - either excuse is pathetic to be honest.

This is not about one club or another. This is about 96 men, women and children that died. No one doubts what happened was an accident but that's beside the point. 96 people died because of firstly, a poor choice of venue made by the FA, secondly because the police opened exit gates to allow fans to flood in and thirdly the emergency services' failure to deal with it professionally. Then on top of that medical help was knowingly prevented from getting to the scene and to top all this off the police realise how momentously they've fucked this up and then go about changing scores and scores of statements to try and get themselves out of the shit they got themselves into. Meanwhile the families and friends of the dead (not having been through enough apparently) have to read (or hear about) the utter, utter reprehensible blatant lies printed by The Sun. But you want the families to just "accept it was an accident"?  ??? The situation could have and should have been dealt with in such a fashion that lives would have been saved. This didn't happen so for that surely an apology should be made. But never mind that. Let's try and turn it around and blame the fans eh? The people responsible for the cover up should be fucking locked up along with those whose actions worsened the death toll.

Liverpool fans have campaigned tirelessly for justice and I'm so very happy for them that they've finally got it. Better late than never. I've heard this "wollowing in self pity" shite before but I dismissed it as anti-Liverpool shite because when I fully learned of the events of Hillsborough and the cover up I immediately understood straight away why the fans were relentless in their efforts for justice even if it did seem like they were going on and on. I was at a game a few seasons back and the Kop held up banners and chanted "justice for the 96" non stop for the whole half. I understand why completely.

I have no affiliation with Liverpool although I've followed them since the 90s and I'm honestly proud of the fans. Their loyalty to each other is amazing.

I still cry every time I read or watch a news report on Hillsborough

96 folk went to a football match and never returned

Then we listened for years to the police lying about their own incompetence

I want justice as a football fan so I cannot begin to imagine how the families must feel

Why does this bother you? Do you actually think that or is it because you don't like Liverpool as a club? Actually it doesn't matter - either excuse is pathetic to be honest.

This is not about one club or another. This is about 96 men, women and children that died. No one doubts what happened was an accident but that's beside the point. 96 people died because of firstly, a poor choice of venue made by the FA, secondly because the police opened exit gates to allow fans to flood in and thirdly the emergency services' failure to deal with it professionally. Then on top of that medical help was knowingly prevented from getting to the scene and to top all this off the police realise how momentously they've fucked this up and then go about changing scores and scores of statements to try and get themselves out of the shit they got themselves into. Meanwhile the families and friends of the dead (not having been through enough apparently) have to read (or hear about) the utter, utter reprehensible blatant lies printed by The Sun. But you want the families to just "accept it was an accident"?  ??? The situation could have and should have been dealt with in such a fashion that lives would have been saved. This didn't happen so for that surely an apology should be made. But never mind that. Let's try and turn it around and blame the fans eh? The people responsible for the cover up should be fucking locked up along with those whose actions worsened the death toll.

Liverpool fans have campaigned tirelessly for justice and I'm so very happy for them that they've finally got it. Better late than never. I've heard this "wollowing in self pity" shite before but I dismissed it as anti-Liverpool shite because when I fully learned of the events of Hillsborough and the cover up I immediately understood straight away why the fans were relentless in their efforts for justice even if it did seem like they were going on and on. I was at a game a few seasons back and the Kop held up banners and chanted "justice for the 96" non stop for the whole half. I understand why completely.

I have no affiliation with Liverpool although I've followed them since the 90s and I'm honestly proud of the fans. Their loyalty to each other is amazing.

+1

Although I don't think the families have justice yet. They now have the uncensored story and an apology for the cover up.

Justice will come when those responsible are held to account for their incompetence on the day and subsequent lies.

I hope the families take every institution possible, especially the cops, to the cleaners.

Where did you hear this, Mav?

Irvine Welsh was talking about it on twatter but seems like it was just hysterical everton fans talking shite. they were singing the songs all night but vids on youtube show police just standing there. bit unfair, especially considering west yorkshire police are a different body than south yorkshire.

• 3 years later...

I see Sheffield Wednesday have also been found guilty yet I havent seen anything directed at the FA for continuing to select Hillsbrough despite problems in previous semi finals.

Be interesting to see if the HSE hit them hard and/or of the families now proceed with private prosecutions against all convicted parties.

Duckenfield was new in the job but a bully who was despised from the off. I'm amazed that nobody blew the whistle on his lies and the systemic cover up at some point in the next two and a half decades. Cops would rather stick up for one of their own rather than let truth and justice prevail, even if they hated him. Pigs.

Duckenfield was new in the job but a bully who was despised from the off. I'm amazed that nobody blew the whistle on his lies and the systemic cover up at some point in the next two and a half decades. Cops would rather stick up for one of their own rather than let truth and justice prevail, even if they hated him. Pigs.

South Yorkshire Police were the Tories storm troopers who had loyal served the Tories during the miners strikes and others so they were always going to be allowed to be protected by the establishment. Plus blaming fans played into Tory agenda at the time to vilify football fans.

South Yorkshire Police were the Tories storm troopers who had loyal served the Tories during the miners strikes and others so they were always going to be allowed to be protected by the establishment. Plus blaming fans played into Tory agenda at the time to vilify football fans.

Very relevant and very true.

A systemic cover up from the police all the way up to Westminster.