Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

DT Politics Thread

I hate the Tories but expelling Churchill’s grandson around the 80th anniversary of WWII. Really?

Opposition need to stick to their guns and not vote for a GE.

A vote of no confidence followed by some sort of interim government would be the preferred and funniest outcome.

Cummings the master tactician  :D

The only way that she CAN be against no deal is if she KNOWS that this would be counterproductive to our interests.

We know that she's against it. We don't know why she is so anti because she has failed to spell it out, beyond the "loss of jobs" and other lines she spins, none of which has been backed up. Why is her crystal ball so robust, one might ask?

She's against Brexit full stop of course. My guess is that she is taking the opportunity to play party politics. If she genuinely wants a Scotland free from England but remaining in the EU, God help us. More than a third of us in Scotland voted out of the EU. The other 62%, including my own children, are too stupid to be allowed a vote on this issue.

There was a report published into the effect of Brexit on Scotland. This was well publicised at the time. I assume that's what she's referring to.

Who are these unelected that you refer to? Didn't we go to the polls recently to elect our MEPs? I hear this point made a lot and I'm not sure who it refers to.

Boris playing a blinder here.

For reasons most wouldn't understand.

Fuck the people and fuck the politicians.

Boris has the right vision.

Farage and Trump see the truth too.

They say a day is a long time in politics.

I've lost track of the mind belonging to the PM. He's possibly lost the plot completely.

Corbyn's speech just now was the best he's ever delivered. There may be life in the old dog. At least in blocking and thwarting others, if not so much in original thoughts and decisive leadership.

His demeanour over the last couple of days smacks of someone who has never been properly challenged or been told 'NO' in his entire life.

I don't know how being Mayor of London works but it seems to me as if he went through that never having a decision challenged - His garden bridge and 'boris island' airport plans costing a pretty penny which is still being paid for long after he fucked off.

Ken Clarke really stuck the boot in and it was great to watch

His demeanour over the last couple of days smacks of someone who has never been properly challenged or been told 'NO' in his entire life.

I don't know how being Mayor of London works but it seems to me as if he went through that never having a decision challenged - His garden bridge and 'boris island' airport plans costing a pretty penny which is still being paid for long after he fucked off.

Ken Clarke really stuck the boot in and it was great to watch

Agreed. Good observation too, it was indeed a thwarted spoiled brat he came across as.

He's also clearly not as smart as he thinks he is, although that would have been impossible of course.

Ken Clarke was fantastic. And BoJo is making Corbyn look like a leader!!

I had some box sets to catch up on but this has been great stuff to watch.

Fucking anarchic House of Lords doing their best to kill off the bill. Surely most of them will need some sleep at their age.

Conservative 'majority' is now -45

On average he is losing 7 MPs a week. Keep that rate up and by Mid October Labour will be the biggest party.

Meanwhile at todays pro-brexit protest/ rally (coincidence that England were playing this afternoon?)

'About 200 people joined a pro-Brexit demonstration organised by the Democratic Football Lads Alliance, while the anti-Brexit group March for Change held its own protest.'
  :tumbleweed:

I'd label that with the English speaking section of Europe DD. I've seen Irish behave like pricks, likewise Scots, but obviously proportionally, the English are worse as there's more of them. Welsh, well no-one cares or even knows about them.

But i've also seen the Dutch act like cunts abroad too.

What an awful name for the pro-brexiteers though. They really aren't the sharpest tools are they.

I'll reserve judgement to see what happens when it goes before the UK Supreme Court next week. This could end up not only with Parliament in turmoil but also the UK wide judiciary if they go against the Scottish decision.

Whatever happens, the Party Conferences are about to swing into action and so nothing will happen in the interim. I've never understood why these conferences have to take place in Parliamentary time. Surely to god they could take place in the summer recess...…...MP's get quite enough holiday allocation as it is.

• 2 weeks later...

The first hour and a half of the resumed Parliament has proved what most of us have long suspected.

Our political system is failing because of the appalling quality of its inhabitants. The lawyer proportion of our MP's is a disproportionate ratio of the population and as usual, the lawyers self-interests are more important to them than the public interest.

The Attorney General is a prick, fat-headed and of disgusting nature, an archetypal nature fashioned and honed by the educational institutions that separate them from us and which entrenches the political elite. Their senses of superiority and entitlement are shockingly apparent and patently paradoxical against the actual roles of public servants.

Geoffrey Cox is right on two things however; this parliament is "dead" (as he pronounces) and leaving the EU is what we must do.

At last, some decency and purpose in the House of Commons today, rather than the bollocks hitherto. Thanks to Layla Moran bringing up the grant given to Jennifer Arcuri, facilitated by Boris. Yet another example of the corrupt nature of the public schoolboys who run England and hopefully an example that will nail this particular charlatan.

Let's face it, Boris is a fat bumbling bastard and Arcuri is an ugly old cunt of gold-digging nature with big tits. The suggestion that £100k of public funds were misappropriated in order that he could get his leg over is as tragic as it is comic, pathos being the foremost sentiment.

I can see what BoJo is trying to do with this people vs parliament/establishment thing.  I think a significant proportion (presumably leave voters) will buy into it and it will be backed by the Daily Mail and the Sun etc..., but Corbyn (for all his faults) was correct to say the establisment is actually the Tory front bench and many many people realise this, so I think the people vs establishment could backfire (if there is an election soon and BoJo is still PM).

I agree Corbyn is hopeless.  I think Labour would be miles ahead in the polls if somebody like Starmer was leader.  That said I don't think the polls are going to matter a huge amount at the next election as there is going to be a massive push for tactical voting and I think the Tories will be in trouble - and particularly I wouldn't be surprised if BoJo himself loses his seat.  I expect the SNP and Lib Dems (in England) to pick up a lot of seats.  Quite where Farage fits in I am not sure, surely the Tories will need to do a deal or they will be truly fucked if they have not delivered Brexit (which they won't have) by the election.

Read the other day that John McDonnell thinks Labour's next leader should be female and that they have lots of talented females well capable of doing it. Fuck that. Emily Thornberry I wouldn't trust to make a cheese and pickle sandwich without causing food poisoning. Diane Abbot? Barely knows what day of the week it is. Rebecca Long-Bailey....professional coat tail hanger on. Shami Chakrabarti...........tainted by political correctness and an ocean-going sense of self entitlement. As for Dawn Butler......words fail me.

The 2 women who really do impress me in the party are Chi Onwura and Lisa Nandy, both backbenchers but with the correct mix of education, personality and most of all realism to do the job effectively. Sadly neither will even be quoted as a contender. Corbyn will suffer a humiliating defeat in the forthcoming election, he will certainly finish second in number of seats as usual but I suspect the Lib Dems will actually gain a bigger total vote (doing their claims to adopt proportional representation no harm).  Of all the Shadow Cabinet, Starmer seems the only one with the credentials to take over the hot-seat once Corbyn stands down as he surely will.

Read the other day that John McDonnell thinks Labour's next leader should be female and that they have lots of talented females well capable of doing it. Fuck that. Emily Thornberry I wouldn't trust to make a cheese and pickle sandwich without causing food poisoning. Diane Abbot? Barely knows what day of the week it is. Rebecca Long-Bailey....professional coat tail hanger on. Shami Chakrabarti...........tainted by political correctness and an ocean-going sense of self entitlement. As for Dawn Butler......words fail me.

The 2 women who really do impress me in the party are Chi Onwura and Lisa Nandy, both backbenchers but with the correct mix of education, personality and most of all realism to do the job effectively. Sadly neither will even be quoted as a contender. Corbyn will suffer a humiliating defeat in the forthcoming election, he will certainly finish second in number of seats as usual but I suspect the Lib Dems will actually gain a bigger total vote (doing their claims to adopt proportional representation no harm).  Of all the Shadow Cabinet, Starmer seems the only one with the credentials to take over the hot-seat once Corbyn stands down as he surely will.

I think when Labour lose the next election the party will switch back to the right and some Blair follower will take over the hotseat, I suspect Watson may well make a pitch for it.

I don't see any upcoming politicians from any party that are worth a fuck, all I see are nodding dogs in suits/dresses who stick to the party line.