How to Punish NewCo

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that more importantly than punishing them, if they are to be allowed back in, it MUST be on the condition of changing the voting structure to 9-3.  Everything else comes secondary to that.

Once this farcical protectionist duopoly is broken, a genuinely fair voting system should be used to make wholesale changes to the way the league is run in general, and in particular how the money is distributed.

I would go as far as to say that a) All income from gate receipts should be pooled and split between the 12 clubs and b) A percentage of any European prize money should kick back to the league to be redistributed. (I'm not sure how this second one could be enforced, but I'm sire something could be worked out).  If the old firm aren't willing to accept this, they can go and find some other league that is willing to take them.

The sporting integrity of the SPL has been damaged not just by the finacial misbehviour of Rangers, but by the way the two of them squeeze the other clubs.  I would rather see the SPL and all of it's member clubs, including our own, go to the wall than carry on the way things are.

I think that more importantly than punishing them, if they are to be allowed back in, it MUST be on the condition of changing the voting structure to 9-3.  Everything else comes secondary to that.

Once this farcical protectionist duopoly is broken, a genuinely fair voting system should be used to make wholesale changes to the way the league is run in general, and in particular how the money is distributed.

I would go as far as to say that a) All income from gate receipts should be pooled and split between the 12 clubs and b) A percentage of any European prize money should kick back to the league to be redistributed. (I'm not sure how this second one could be enforced, but I'm sire something could be worked out).  If the old firm aren't willing to accept this, they can go and find some other league that is willing to take them.

The sporting integrity of the SPL has been damaged not just by the finacial misbehviour of Rangers, but by the way the two of them squeeze the other clubs.  I would rather see the SPL and all of it's member clubs, including our own, go to the wall than carry on the way things are.

Option added, not sure why I didn't originally as I suspect this is what the non-OF 10 are really aiming for.  Allow NewCo in, address the democratic deficit and give NewCo some token punishment of 10pts and 75% cut.

Of course if NewCo aren't allowed in then with only Celtic opposed they could change the rules anyway, but then I suppose there will be a few who are scared to lose TV and gate receipts in an SPL without Rangers.

I don't really want them to be thrown into the Third Division because they'd just steamroller their way up the league and come back to where they were. Their fans would actually enjoy the experience and by the time they made the SPL again they'd have rejuvenated their entire support.

I'd rather they were kept in the SPL, but hit with such draconian punishments that they had no opportunity to compete. Once they'd settled in to the soul destroying nature of floundering around in the bottom six for years their fans would leave in their droves and they'd be reduced to the level of everyone else. The reason they're so powerful is because they have so many fans, so we should be pushing for whatever will alienate them and turn them away from the club.

Third division would be entertaining.

We only get to see them play the occasional lower league team in the cups and 9 times out of 10 they steamroller them.

However those are one off games and im wondering how many of their pri-madonnas would fancy squaring up to Chic Charnley-esque hatchet men and very hungry young players looking to fuck them over on a ploughed field every second satuday.

For anyone wanting to make sure their voice is heard on Rangers Newco/SPL Financial Fair Play situation. I recommend www.splsurvey.co.uk Over 4000 responses in 12 hours. 94% against Newco with 54% never going to SPL game again if Newco let straight back in.

http://www.splsurvey.co.uk/

There have been a total of 4760 responses.

If Rangers are liquidated and reformed as a Newco, should they be allowed immediate re-entry into the SPL?

No (4444) - 93.36%

Yes (316) - 6.64%

In the event of a Rangers Newco being allowed immediate re-entry how, as a supporter of another SPL/SFL club would you respond?

I would continue to attend SPL fixtures as normal (676) - 14.20%

I would NOT attend any SPL fixtures at all (2534) - 53.24%

I would continue to attend SPL fixtures but boycott any fixtures involving the Rangers Newco (1391) - 29.22%

I support an SFL team so don't attend any SPL fixtures (159) - 3.34%

Do you back the SPL's Financial Fair Play Proposals?

Yes (2092) - 43.95%

No (2668) - 56.05%

Third division would be entertaining.

We only get to see them play the occasional lower league team in the cups and 9 times out of 10 they steamroller them.

However those are one off games and im wondering how many of their pri-madonnas would fancy squaring up to Chic Charnley-esque hatchet men and very hungry young players looking to fuck them over on a ploughed field every second satuday.

Would a NewCo get the players as well?  Would they not have to sign players on new contracts, which would suggest a totally different team if in the 3rd div?

Traynor on Sportsound was agreeing they should be demoted to the 3rd but suggested that Rangers fans shouldn't necessarily be against it as the team could grow gradually back into the SPL. In theory they could be back there in three seasons then in Europe the following season which is about the same period as a NewCo in the SPL.

I'm not sure if a NewCo would need to re-sign all the players. I read yesterday that the SPL/SFA would recognise a NewCo as the same club so they could use the same name, badge and would retain their title history so I don't know if the same would apply to player registrations. (And it brings a whole load of other problems with HMRC if they are willing to be recognised as the same business).

In either case, if they went to Div 3 they would have a significantly different squad with a massively reduced budget and of course the fact they are in Div 3. I could maybe see Lee McCulloch staying on and maybe a return for Davie Weir. Other than that it would be youths and players they picked up from the other lower division clubs who they would still be able to outspend.

I've just read the fans representatives comments in a double page article in the Daily Mail, "Fans threaten to walk away", worth a look if you can get hold of a copy.  Supporters of all 10 non OF clubs echoing the sentiments on here.

Lot's of references to cheating and sporting integrity.  Nice.  ;D

Stats from the survery thus far (well from Sunday)

There have been a total of 11291 responses.

If Rangers are liquidated and reformed as a Newco, should they be allowed immediate re-entry into the SPL?

No (10807) - 95.71%

Yes (484) - 4.29%

In the event of a Rangers Newco being allowed immediate re-entry how, as a supporter of another SPL/SFL club would you respond?

I would continue to attend SPL fixtures as normal (1299) - 11.50%

I would NOT attend any SPL fixtures at all (6025) - 53.36%

I would continue to attend SPL fixtures but boycott any fixtures involving the Rangers Newco (3596) - 31.85%

I support an SFL team so don't attend any SPL fixtures (371) - 3.29%

Do you back the SPL's Financial Fair Play Proposals?

Yes (4112) - 36.42%

No (7179) - 63.58%

By club

Aberdeen

There have been a total of 884 responses.

Dundee United

There have been a total of 511 responses.

Dunfermline

There have been a total of 351 responses.

Hearts

There have been a total of 1158 responses.

Hibernian

There have been a total of 1234 responses.

Inverness CT

There have been a total of 121 responses.

Kilmarnock

There have been a total of 256 responses.

Motherwell

There have been a total of 262 responses.

St Johnstone

There have been a total of 208 responses.

St Mirren

There have been a total of 430 responses.

Celtic

There have been a total of 4861 responses.

Rangers

There have been a total of 290 responses.

Non SPL 724

I work next to a Hun and he say's that when Livi and Gretna went tits up they were both demoted (no idea if its true) and he thinks Rangers shouldn't be treated any differently. If they have dealt with this type of thing before how can they possibly treat Rangers differently?

I work next to a Hun and he say's that when Livi and Gretna went tits up they were both demoted (no idea if its true) and he thinks Rangers shouldn't be treated any differently. If they have dealt with this type of thing before how can they possibly treat Rangers differently?

Gretna were demoted to 3rd division due to being unable to fulfil their fixtures. Having looked up Livi it appears they were demoted to the third for going into administration for a second time??