Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Simmie to get a testimonial

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SIR Alex Ferguson today confirmed he will bring his top Manchester United stars to Aberdeen FC for Neil Simpson’s benefit match.

The Red Devils face Aberdeen FC on Tuesday, August 14, as Sir Alex helps honour Gothenburg Great Simpson.

Old Trafford legend Ryan Giggs will be joined by first team regulars Rio Ferdinand, Paul Scholes, Michael Carrick and Nemanja Vidic.

Wayne Rooney is likely to feature for Manchester United when they take on Aberdeen at Pittodrie on Tuesday night in Neil Simpson's testimonial match.

The England star is one of several high-profile players involved in the United squad, who are expected to participate in the match for the former Dons luminary.

Although there has been no official confirmation from Old Trafford, in advance of the sell-out fixture, STV Sport has learned that it will be a celebrity-packed tussle.

Rooney is the most prominent name, but the likes of Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic are also in the mix for Pittodrie.

And Sir Alex Ferguson has also recruited former United prodigies such as Dwight Yorke, Teddy Sheringham and Clayton Blackmore, for the trip to the north-east.

The Red Devils launch their Barclays Premiership campaign next week. But Ferguson appears to have delivered his promise to bring a high-quality ensemble to Aberdeen.

Speaking at a press conference on Monday, Neil Simpson said the match was a "dream come true".

He said: "I'm well aware there was a campaign for a number of years from the supporters, which I’d heard about. They’d obviously campaigned so much that the club wanted to give me this great day which is coming up tomorrow.

"For the day to finally arrive and Manchester United with my ex-manager Alex Ferguson as well, it’s a dream come true.

"I was dreaming of playing for Aberdeen as a youngster. When I finally get the chance to play for the team I’d always supported, I went on to spend 12 and a half years at the club and a number of years as a community youth coach.

"I'm well aware of the affection of the supporters, they’ve always been a great support. They helped me through my whole career really.

"Playing for Aberdeen was my dream. I fulfilled that and to get eight trophies throughout my career was excellent.”

"The European Cup Winners Cup Final when we beat Real Madrid is well documented. It was a magnificent achievement for a provincial club in Aberdeen to do that.

"But we had such a great squad, we had a number of great international players within our team and you find it hard to believe we could get a squad together that could manage to win such a great trophy."