Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Redweb: Injury news

Craig Brown spoke to RedTV at lunchtime (Tuesday) and gave us an update on what is happening at Pittodrie today, including all the very latest on the injury situation.

"I am very upset about the Fraser Fyvie injury. It is a badly swollen ankle. They thought he would not need it but he is going for an ex-ray today. We don't know how long he will be out for but he certainly won't be fit for the game on Saturday which is a big disappointment because he and Ryan Jack were very influential on Sunday. I told them they were up against Lasley and Jennings so they would need to get their second wind very early and get up to the pace of the game and they did that very well. So unfortunately one of them is out. We hope that Ryan will be alright. The diagnosis on him are more encouraging at the moment and we just have to hope that the Doctor does not rule him out because of the head knock.

"We do though have Gavin Rae coming back into the side. When we got him here he was injured at the time but in recent weeks he has performed very well and was a key player against St Mirren and Celtic. Hopefully Stephen Hughes will be available as well.

"I am going to cheer the Aberdeen support up. I spoke this morning with Russell Anderson. We have given him a target of the Scottish Cup semi final, to be fit for that. Even if he was just in the squad as a fit member of that squad it would be a tremendous boost for everyone involved with Aberdeen football club.

"Before the trip to Hampden we have some very important league games. We will not give up trying to get a top six place until it is mathematically impossible. You never know what can happen in this league. I still feel we are in with a chance with four games to go. If we managed to get maximum points then I think we would be in with a really positive chance. The problem will be getting the victories in the four games. It is not out with the bounds of possibility though.

"People say to me are the players playing for contracts. I don't think that is in their mind. I think what is in their minds in a place in the team. I have to commend Danny, Mo and Josh. Every one of them wished me all the best and wishes the players all the best on Sunday. I thought that was terrific. We have a good dressing room and as long as it is like that we always have a chance of winning games."

There was newspaper speculation this morning linking Rory Fallon with a move to Toronto. The manager made it quite clear the New Zealand striker has a year left on his contract and is going nowhere. Craig was also full of praise for his attitude.

"He is a perfect gentleman and a perfect gentleman and no one deserved those goals on Sunday more that he did. He has had to deal with a lot since he came here. He has had criticism from the media, from the fans and he has been left out of the team and been substituted by me. On no occasion did he show any petulance. He answered all his critics in the best possible way by coming into the side and scoring which makes it difficult to leave him out. I must congratulate him on his attitude."

It will be great to see Anderson involved in the squad again.  I don't think Considine should lose the armband to him but another leader around the squad will be no bad thing.

I'm really optimistic about the final third of the season.  The top six is not uber important in my eyes, if we make it fine and  if not then we will hopefully finish the season with 5 wins.  This would be great for confidence going into the new season and if we get through the semi then a brilliant platform for the final regardless of who we play out of St Mirren , the tims and hertz.