Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Union Terrace Gardens Vote

Kowalski
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, the "Granite Web" newspaper came through my letter box today.  In it, they confirm that the "winning" design was the second most popular at the public consultation (I ranked it 5th out of 6 at the consultation).  I think the council have made a big mistake not backing the Winter Garden idea, as I think it would have won the referendum.

I walk past the gardens every day and there's never any cunt in them, unless its sunny.  But why should the gardens only be used on a hot day?  I genuinely like the idea of opening up Belmont Street and creating a cafe culture; I think it would make a huge difference.  But this whole campaign (both sides of it) has been a shambles.  Voting forms are being posted out this week and I suspect the real winner will be apathy, and I don't think the Granite Web will win.

Anyone hear any soundbites from last night's debate?  Normally I find Lewis Macdonald to be a disagreeable eejit but on this occasion I could scarcely agree any more with him.  For me, this whole process has been seriously flawed.  No single one of the designs on the shortlist ticked all of the boxes and there shouldn't have been a declared "winner" until a referendum had taken place.  It shouldn't be the case that "here's your design, take it or leave it".  You will have people who strongly preferred other designs voting against the project as a whole and so adding to the "no" vote.

Every design has some very good aspects about them and I would have liked to have seen a honed single design incorporating many of these aspects - after the referendum too place and after everyone had their chance to air their views as to what is required.  I was personally never really too interested in a winter garden - what would then happen to the winter garden in Duthie Park?

One of the schemes proposed tidying up the "back end" of Belmont Street with new buildings forming an edge.  Fronting on to this new public space, these new blocks would become prime real estate in Aberdeen City Centre, for which there is a  demand. This would also have encouraged alot of pedestrian activity on the new square, which in turn would generate movement up and down the pends that link to Belmont Street.  Another of the designs maintained the arcade at the west end with small boutique style shops, again generating activity.

It seems to me that Diller Scofidio & Renfro (the winning landscape architecture practice) have not understood Aberdeen that well.  That said, in my opinion it was the most radical, but it doesn't go far enough and it is anti-contextual in that it just doesn't seem to adequately address what surrounds it.

• 2 weeks later...
Verdict due after 52% vote on city garden

By David McKay

Published: 02/03/2012

Bookmark with:

A total of 86,500 Aberdeen residents have cast a vote in a referendum on the proposed redevelopment of Union Terrace Gardens.

As the poll closed at 5pm yesterday, counting officer Crawford Langley said postal ballot papers would be locked away until this morning.

Mr Langley will oversee a team of eight staff from independent company Democracy Counts Ltd at the Beach Ballroom to deliver a result that will settle the debate on the controversial City Garden Project.

I think its expected at around lunchtime.  Hopefully folk get behind whatever the outcome is.

Can't see it ever being built seeing as Network Rail are involved. Ever tried to build anything near some of their (even unused) land? Very restrictive and loads of hoops to jump though. Want to build above their (in use) land? Times that by 1000.

Can't see it ever being built seeing as Network Rail are involved. Ever tried to build anything near some of their (even unused) land? Very restrictive and loads of hoops to jump though. Want to build above their (in use) land? Times that by 1000.

Aberdeen - Inverness line to be shut for safety for a year nae doubt.

And when you thought it was full steam ahead

Doubt cast on results of Aberdeen gardens vote - MSP Lewis Macdonald claims council should be free to vote on project

LABOUR today claimed there was still doubt over whether people in Aberdeen wanted the City Garden Project.

The claim came after 52% of voters in Aberdeen backed the plans in a referendum, with a majority of more than 4,000 in favour.

North-east Labour MSP Lewis Macdonald, who is raising the matter at Holyrood, said there were still questions over the referendum result and the council should be free to vote on the City Garden Project’s future.