Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The system cost us early on, no-one looked like they knew where they were meant to be playing and it invited pressure on to us.  Although the goals were largely down to individual mistakes, the possession and territory was stacked against us at the beginning and that was a large part down to the system and definitely contributed to the game being over in 20 minutes.  Now, I am not too bothered if Brown comes out and says he got it wrong, the best he can do going forward is not to try out stuff like that for the first time in such occasions. 

I don't think anyone is saying Brown is not the man to take us forward, and maybe a few of us got ahead of our stations because of the general pick up since he took over.  The point still stands though that a lot of people (as far as recent attendances go) made a fair effort to get down to Hampden.  They are obviously disappointed that the occasion was ruined within 20 minutes.  I don't think coming on and telling people to chill out is quite right.  I think most people went to the game believing we had a chance of winning it, and hoped that the performance would at least be something to be proud of if we didn't.  11 years since a cup final, 15 since a cup win is not something to be happy about as a Dons fan and I am not even one who saw our glory days, which I can only imagine yesterday is all the more shocking to.

I can only echo the rest of your sentiments though.  The summer was always the time that the major changes were going to happen.  January is too expensive a month for wholesale long term changes, there is a lot of the squad who are out of contract or loan periods will be up at the club and there will be a lot of players in similar situations at the club.  I assume that as soon as Tuesday comes around, Brown and Miller will be starting thinking about the 2011/12 season immediately. 

Good times will hopefully be ahead, Brown I believe can do something with this club.  Doesn't make yesterday any more or less galling an experience.

Well said there man!

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First post since Saturday.  Derek Young should be made an example of, and dropped from first team duties for the rest of the season.  Fucking clown.

Plenty other offenders of course, Brown included for starting with 5 fucking defenders.  Cup tie, dodgy Celtic back line, Maguire and Vernon in good form, our best chance of victory yesterday was to open up and try to outscore the fuckers - give them something to worry about. We played right into their hands.

Stood at Hampden yesterday wearing a replica '83 top with my Old man, almost 28 years earlier he took me to the Scottish cup final at the same venue only days after victory in Gothenburg.  The pathos of the juxtaposition was overwhelming, and like many I was almost reduced to tears as we were torn apart.

Absolutely gutted, again.

Dons urged to keep up the heads

young insists aberdeen’s league revival under craig brown must continue despite hampden heartache

By Michael Gannon

Published: 31/01/2011

Midfielder Derek Young knows the Dons supporters were woefully short-changed at Hampden but insists that Aberdeen must not allow cup heartache to halt the revival under Craig Brown.

The Dons slumped to a painful 4-1 defeat by Celtic in Saturday’s League Cup semi-final.

An expectant travelling support of more than 14,000 watched the Reds capitulate and concede four goals in 33 frantic first-half minutes.

Scott Vernon pulled one back in the second half but could not prevent another addition to Aberdeen’s recent cup hall of shame.

The Dons must face their conquerors again in the SPL tomorrow night at Pittodrie and Young said: “We were desperate to get to the final for the supporters. They came down in huge numbers and we let them down yet again.

“The chance has gone and it is going to hurt for a while but there is nothing we can do apart from dusting ourselves down and getting back to work.

“It is devastating for everyone. The supporters have had to put up with it too many times. I think 127 buses came down and their backing was incredible.

“It was not the defeat, it was the manner of the defeat that hurts the most.

“We cannot afford to let this disappointment affect our league form. We play Celtic again and there has to be an improvement. We certainly can’t start as badly.”

Ramshackle Aberdeen were dismantled in the blink of an eye. Behind after just five minutes to Kris Commons’s opener, the Dons were four goals down after 33 minutes. It was too much to take for some Aberdeen supporters who headed for the exits and Young knows it was unacceptable.

The midfielder was responsible for conceding the penalty for the fourth goal after inexplicably handling Anthony Stokes’s free kick in the area. Stokes converted and Young refused to make any excuses. Charlie Mulgrew and Thomas Rogne had already scored and the fourth goal ended the contest despite Vernon’s second-half consolation.

Young added: “We were three down in 20 minutes and then I gave away a stupid penalty. Why it happened I’ll never know. It was just an instinctive thing. I really don’t know what happened or why.”

I guess it was just not meant to be.  Our improvement in form under Broon, as has been said, has come against the weakest sides in the league, and although very welcome doesn't remove the glaring deficiencies in our side.  What disappointed me most was Broon's decision to change our set up and personnel.  He as much as the players seemed to bottle it when it mattered most, which is sad, but as long he learns from this there is no reason why we can't continue our improved league form and carry that into the Scottish Cup.

The tims may have got lucky with their first and been blessed by a rush of blood to deeks head for the 4th but sadly despite all our rhetoric about this being a weak, vulnerable Celtic side the gulf in class was clearly demonstrated in the first half.

Second half we were better and probably deserved more than the one goal but celtic were already winding down by that point.

Disappointing to see some folk hurling scarves etc onto the track side.  This wasn't QotS, QP or Rovers.  We were humiliated in the first half, and I can understand folk leaving early but aimlessly lobbing things on to the pitch was just a little pathetic.

All in all yet another good day out at Hampden destroyed by a game of football.  That's 3 semi finals and 3 Hampden appearances in a row I've seen us shop 4 goals.  Maybe I should learn but the hope is hard to keep at bay and ends up being the thing that hurts the most.