Saturday 26th October 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Dundee Utd

Kyle v Diamond

mizer

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2010/10/18/hearts-ace-kevin-kyle-slams-aberdeen-stopper-zander-diamond-as-a-conman-cheat-and-wimp-86908-22642407/

Hearts ace Kevin Kyle slams Aberdeen stopper Zander Diamond as a conman, cheat and wimp

Oct 18 2010 By Ian Orr

SEETHING striker Kevin Kyle branded Zander Diamond a cheat for trying to have him red-carded at Pittodrie.

The pair clashed early on in a high-octane match and the Hearts star rounded on the Aberdeen defender when he fell to the ground in apparent agony.

Dons skipper Paul Hartley had to intervene to try to pacify Kyle but referee Mike Tumilty took no action against the Jambos hitman.

Despite grabbing the match-winner, Kyle was more concerned about the behaviour of his Dons rival. He said: "When players are rolling about play-acting then it looks a lot worse than it actually is yet Zander was up after 10 seconds of screaming and shouting like a baby. Well, what was wrong with him?

"I've been in the SPL for two and a half seasons now and he's always like that. I always try to ignore it but this time it really upset me because I could have got a red card down to the way it looked.

"But the TV footage will show I never went near him with an elbow.

"It's cheating but how long has it been going on for? It happens all the time. In the end, it worked out to my advantage because Zander curled into his shell and was scared to come after me.

"I have a massive bruise on my ankle and my nose got caught but I wasn't rolling about moaning and groaning. I just got on with it.

"The best way to keep them quiet is to score the winning goal. It went against him because I scored the winner and left happy as Larry.

"But I couldn't face going anywhere near him. If I had it wouldn't have been to shake his hand. I've never gone out deliberately to hurt another player. I was being aggressive. I had to score because I let my team-mates down against Rangers missing that chance.

"I felt I owed it to them. All in all it was a good display and we now have to build on it."

Diamond refused to talk about the accusation, saying: "I'll let Kyle do the talking and keep a dignified silence."

But his captain Hartley rallied to his defence and insisted Kyle was to blame for over-reacting.

Hartley said: "He's trying to create something that wasn't there. Both are very physical players and there is no way Zander was trying to get him sent off. Kevin over-reacted.

"Kevin is a physical, honest player. He knows how to play the game and I thought it was a good physical battle between him and Zander. They were two physical players trying to win a football match.

"I was just trying to get him to calm him down as he was going a bit over the top with the referee. There was nothing more serious than that."

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1967859?UserKey=

Hartley quick to jump to the defence of Diamond over his collision with match-winner Kyle

By

Published: 18/10/2010

ABERDEEN captain Paul Hartley gave his backing to Zander Diamond after the Dons defender was labelled a cheat by Hearts attacker Kevin Kyle following Saturday’s tempestuous encounter at Pittodrie.

Kyle accused Diamond of play-acting to get him sent off after the pair collided in the first half in an ill-tempered affair. The Hearts forward had the last laugh when he hit the winner in the first minute of the second half, but his post-match criticism of Diamond drew a reaction from the Dons captain.

Hartley said: “I don’t think Zander was trying to get him sent off. Kevin is trying to create something that wasn’t there.

“Both are very physical players and there is no way Zander was trying to get him sent off. Kevin has over-reacted.

“Kevin is a physical and honest player. He knows how to play the game and I thought it was a good physical contest between him and Zander.

“They were two physical players trying to win a football match.

“I was trying to get Kevin to calm down. He was going a bit over the top with the referee and I was just trying to get him to calm down.

“There was nothing more serious than that.”

Is this on the 'highlights' of the game?

I was a bit disappointed with how Zander reacted. I agree with Kyle that Diamond seemed scared of him. Diamond barely went near him again and it was left to McArdle to bin him.

Diamond has good and bad qualities just like any other player but I never had him down as a pussy.