Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

SPL Round 1: Aberdeen v Hamilton

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched the highlights, very pleasing to see and Magennis seems to know where the goal is. Hopefully his efforts will be rewarded with some goals. Decent cross by Consi there! A very positive start by the team, and hopefully they can build on this :thumbsup:

Oh and great to see a Captain playing for Aberdeen again!

Was a very encouraging performance.  However we started nervously and Hamilton had a couple of good chances with even Casper popping up at the back post with a chance but only managing a passback to Howard. Once we went 1-0 up though we were in total control, with Aluko looking dangerous and Hartley and Folley doing well in the middle.  At the time felt the 2nd pen was maybe a bit dodgy but even Reid doesn't seem to have any complaints about them being awarded.

Took our foot off the gas last 30mins and made changes to allow Pawlett, Aluko and Hartley a wee rest.

Overall couldn't have hoped for a better start to the season.  Long term not convinced that 4 centre backs in defence is a good idea and for me Pawlett has to be playing out wide right where he can utilise his pace and skills to run at defenders (Charlie Mulgrew anyone?).  Howard did nothing wrong and deserves to keep his place but really had fuck all to do other than field a couple of high balls, which it has to be said he dealt with very well.

Hamilton were poor, and have an even worse record than us for opening day fixtures.  St Johnstone will be a far tougher test and a point there would still be a reasonable result.

Personally I didn't think Folly was that good but at the same time he didn't do much wrong.

Thought at times there should have been someone from the midfield busting a gut to get into the box or in space outside the box when we were in good positions. Think in the 2nd half, Maguire was in good space on the right, cant remember who was in box, whether it was before or after the subs but there was a gap of about 40 yards to the midfield who were just above the defence and nobody looking to get up. Same in 1st half, maybe we were talking less chances while we were ahead

Personally I didn't think Folly was that good but at the same time he didn't do much wrong.

Thought at times there should have been someone from the midfield busting a gut to get into the box or in space outside the box when we were in good positions. Think in the 2nd half, Maguire was in good space on the right, cant remember who was in box, whether it was before or after the subs but there was a gap of about 40 yards to the midfield who were just above the defence and nobody looking to get up. Same in 1st half, maybe we were talking less chances while we were ahead

What they said on Red Tv was Folly was the sort of player we were missing last year. Someone who just did there job and broke up attacks and passed a simple ball forward. Did not try to be  fancy.

And based on past form since Hamilton arrived in the SPL again... was a 4-0 vicotry for us realistic?

I'll wait until after the game on Saturday before I begin to think there's maybe a trend beginning.

We beat them 3-0 away last season. One more goal at home.. ok, i wasn't expectng it, but do we really have to have the doom shit just because some are on the "up" shit?  I'm not suggesting there's a trend beginning, but if you're not either, why take a pessimistic tone? you're surely taking a pessimistic trend, no?

We all know you don't like McGhee, maybe it'd just be easier if you left it at that.

I don't think Jager's opinion of McGhee, good or otherwise, devalues his point.

It was difficult enough working out what to expect from that squad, we're a long long way from having a decent settled team so I reckon just about anything is possible. The team last season could perform brilliantly one week and put the tools away for weeks on end. Hope that doesn't happen again but until there's a bit of consistency it's a very real possibility.

Come on man, i'm all for keeping our feet on the ground, but realism doesn't even suggest a 4-0 at St Johnstone is likely.

Exactly.  I think mcdiarmid is going to be a hard game to be fair but cant see us getting humped. They are going to be quite pleased at getting a point at the diet huns so both teams will be fancying their chances.  I can see a 5 goal thriller on the cards................. or a 0-0 stalemate but theres nothing wrong with being positive  :thumbsup: