EE: Paton and/or Ifil to go out on loan?

Aberdeen FC’s Paton under threat of loan move

Striker could be sent to other club

By Charlie Allan with the Dons in England :wave:

Published: 02/08/2010

STRIKER Michael Paton is one of those under threat as Aberdeen FC boss Mark McGhee attempts to clear space on his wage bill to complete the signing of left-back Grant Basey.

McGhee confirmed he will have to send at least one player out on loan before offering Basey, who has been on trial with Aberdeen FC for more than a week, a contract.

That sparked speculation that Paton and defender Jerel Ifil are among those being considered for loan deals.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ally s

I thought Ifil was one of the highest earners?  If this story is true (highly unlikely given who wrote it) then I find that quite bizarre, unless McGhee has realised he made a huge mistake in signing him in the first place.

I would drive Ifil to wherever he's lined up but he can't go unless we have back up for Diamond and Considine. 

Paton is the best forward at the club, he should be going nowhere.

We have Rory Mcardle and think Basey played some of the 2nd half as CB against Dunfermline. Might look at putting Foster back as RB. So think we can get rid of Ifil as no lose. No way Paton should be leaving. It might be  these 2 are the only players other clubs have asked about?

I would drive Ifil to wherever he's lined up but he can't go unless we have back up for Diamond and Considine. 

Paton is the best forward at the club, he should be going nowhere.

McArdle can play centre half though and even Foster has played there to some degree of success so I wouldn't let that stop you from driving Ifil to another club.

Agree that there's no way Paton should be loaned out again, he gave us some of the very few highlights last season which is not bad considering he was forced to play wide a lot of the time.  Would have thought it would have been Mackie or Maguire to go on loan.

Based on that tell Jerel I'll pick him up in a couple of hours.

Paton, whilst far from the finished article has some real promise. I don't understand the logic of taking in a player of a similar age from Cardiff and then letting Paton, or Megginson for that matter, go on loan just to free up a space. Hopefully it's just paper talk but if not then I'm struggling with what their aims are.

Are we developing our own talent or not?

Guest donindundonald

He HAS to let awfull - sorry Ifil go.

Reading the match reports from Brighton we were weak in central defence prticularly against big centre halfs - somewhere you'd think Ifil would be good (stereotypical opinionof a tall dude).

There is not one element of his game that I can think of positively - I dont even think he suits red!

Letting a promising youngster go is wrong and doesn't foster loyalty in my opinion. Paten et all really did dig in last season to save McGees bacon.

If we let Paton go on loan, and keep Mackie at Pittodrie, someone needs their arse kicked IMO opinion.

Cannae see anyone being overly worried at that prospect if we ask one of our alleged strike force to do the kicking ;)

Agree with the sentiment though

He HAS to let awfull - sorry Ifil go.

Reading the match reports from Brighton we were weak in central defence prticularly against big centre halfs - somewhere you'd think Ifil would be good (stereotypical opinionof a tall dude).

There is not one element of his game that I can think of positively - I dont even think he suits red!

Letting a promising youngster go is wrong and doesn't foster loyalty in my opinion. Paten et all really did dig in last season to save McGees bacon.

Ifil was our MOTM against Brighton. If it wasn't for him it would have been a humping.

Ifil = much better player than he's given credit for.