Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Kerr as captain - untenable after today?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Partially agree Padre, with your latter point. Imho Zander was our MOTM on Saturday, despite only being on the pitch for several minutes, as as you said he inspires his team mates and us as supporters. We all know he is not an Aberdeen fan, but we also know that whilst he is in our team he would run through a brick wall for the club. He is a leader, vocal and hopefully will be fit for the rest of the season as we have really missed him.

Re Kerr, I'm not convinced he even has a future at the club, farless as Captain, unless he gets back to the player we had last sesaon.

That's why I was saying "at a club". I wasn't specifically meaning Aberdeen. You never can tell though.

Partially agree Padre, with your latter point. Imho Zander was our MOTM on Saturday, despite only being on the pitch for several minutes, as as you said he inspires his team mates and us as supporters. We all know he is not an Aberdeen fan, but we also know that whilst he is in our team he would run through a brick wall for the club. He is a leader, vocal and hopefully will be fit for the rest of the season as we have really missed him.

Re Kerr, I'm not convinced he even has a future at the club, farless as Captain, unless he gets back to the player we had last sesaon.

Couldn't. Agree. More.

:thumbsup:

Guest rocket debris

By all accounts Kerr had a great 90 minutes today, well done to the lad.

That would depend on what accounts you are subscribing to and "all accounts" is loose terminology as you have yet to explore a fraction of the whole.

The boy done ok. He did his usual, losing balls in the middle of the park and also true to form, he digs like fuck but let's face it, he ain't good enough neither today nor any day.

By some accounts, Gary McDonald played a blinder today as well. I don't remember a goddam thing he did that moistened my ringpiece, that boated my float, that drew a hallelujah.

Let's not go sucking each others dicks here. Kerr was Kerr. His effort is commendable. His overall value is not. 

That would depend on what accounts you are subscribing to and "all accounts" is loose terminology as you have yet to explore a fraction of the whole.

The boy done ok. He did his usual, losing balls in the middle of the park and also true to form, he digs like fuck but let's face it, he ain't good enough neither today nor any day.

By some accounts, Gary McDonald played a blinder today as well. I don't remember a goddam thing he did that moistened my ringpiece, that boated my float, that drew a hallelujah.

Let's not go sucking each others dicks here. Kerr was Kerr. His effort is commendable. His overall value is not.

That's a fucking awful post rocket.

Guest rocket debris

Sorry that I do not accord with your views. Much as I was delighted and surprised by the performance today, I did not see an exceptional contribution from Kerr nor McDonald. They at least earned their wages today for a change but one swallow does not a whore make. If they survive the transition, we are guaranteed more of the same. Neither are good enough for AFC.

Much as I was delighted and surprised by the performance today, I did not see an exceptional contribution from Kerr nor McDonald.

Well I did, matching an expensively assembled Celtic midfield blow for blow, never letting their heads go down even when the game looked like slipping away. If they perform together like that on a regular basis both will have big futures at Aberdeen. Whether you like it or not.

Guest rocket debris

Well I did, matching an expensively assembled Celtic midfield blow for blow, never letting their heads go down even when the game looked like slipping away. If they perform together like that on a regular basis both will have big futures at Aberdeen. Whether you like it or not.

Whether I like it or not? One fan opinion? That's a tad churlish.

On topic, we never had the midfield. Aluko was so shite that we didn't have control of the match at any time so Kerr, McDonald and particularly Paterson were running around like the boys with their fingers in the dyke and all three worked their balls off. In terms of constructive play, beating an opponent, stroking through an accurate pass or a piece of creativity that produces a goal, this was beyond them today and almost every day.

I'm not pissing on our parade here. The collective courage to come back like we did, as often as we did, was just magic. I expressed an opinion that Kerr wasn't as good as the boy who didn't even see him said he was. If you disagree, fine, but at least put me out of my misery and remind me of exactly what he did that justifies your faith?

For me, the massive difference today was Paton, Mackie, Maclean, Paterson and Diamond. Foster threatened tooand Mulgrew continues to surprise in a central role. McD and Kerr were not nearly as influential in my opinion, although I look forward to reviewing the specifics you're going to tell us about on the replay.

I did actually see the second half rocket, but I had to get opinions from others on his first half performance. Overall he did his job, nothing flashy, just got stuck in. I'm not sure what you want Kerr to do, he's not a creative player, he never has been. His games all about ballwinning and for me he got it right today. It's time he got some praise.

Guest rocket debris

I did actually see the second half rocket, but I had to get opinions from others on his first half performance. Overall he did his job, nothing flashy, just got stuck in. I'm not sure what you want Kerr to do, he's not a creative player, he never has been. His games all about ballwinning and for me he got it right today. It's time he got some praise.

Its a team game. We let in four but as a team, we produced a far higher level of performance than any of us might have expected given the recent. Other than the unforgivably bad Aluko - and I'm overlooking my least favourite goalkeeper in the world here - the whole team deserves credit as it was a gutsy effort, the likes of which we've been starved of for not just years but a decade plus.

Happy with Kerr today but I didn't want overboarding going down because he really wasn't suddenly the player he never will be. Love his heart. Hate his limitations. Sooner he's soon the road the better. 

One fan opinion?

If they play like that from now until the end of the season, both will be in McGhee's plans for next season. Am I wrong?

I'm not going to list specifics, they worked hard, led by example in terms of effort and commitment, and showed a tremendous appetite for the fight.

Guest rocket debris

One fan opinion? You said "whether you like it or not". Context.

El Padre's point is sound. Kerr has no pretence of being a creative midfielder. His role is that of a Simpson or a Grant, a breaker not a maker. As we've not had a decent playmaker since Nicholson left (and he was nothing special) then Kerr's limitations are cruelly exposed week in, week out and my original point was that Kerr was not a significant reason why we produced today. In my opinion, Kerr and Mackie are the only ones we can rely on for commitment although it's great to see another back in Diamond.

As for McDonald, his miss at the right post of the Merkland today after 5 minutes reminded of his same ineptitude at the left hand post v. Falkirk. The man does not have a role at AFC. He is nothing and ways has been. Great as the collective team performance was today, Kerr desperately needs playmakers alongside him. McDonald can just get to fuck.

For me, the massive difference today was Paton, Mackie, Maclean, Paterson and Diamond. Foster threatened tooand Mulgrew continues to surprise in a central role. McD and Kerr were not nearly as influential in my opinion, although I look forward to reviewing the specifics you're going to tell us about on the replay.

I thought Paterson was poor in the first half, especially his defensive work. Looked very sluggish, and while it's no shame in having McGeady beat you, he never got close enough to him and let him move inside too many times unchallenged.  Great cross for the second goal though, and certainly came on to a game in the second half.

Guest rocket debris

I thought Paterson was poor in the first half, especially his defensive work. Looked very sluggish, and while it's no shame in having McGeady beat you, he never got close enough to him and let him move inside too many times unchallenged.  Great cross for the second goal though, and certainly came on to a game in the second half.

Paterson in his first four games, much more so than Maclean in my opinion, looked like he had something to give us without ever exceeding ok. Match fiitness is the obvious excuse we can afford these two, both being rejects from an English team who until yesterday were looking like an already relegated shite outfit.

Yesterday was where Maclean finally looked like a footballer and also where Paterson broke through the ok barrier and made some excellent contributions throughout the match. Unlike Grassi, JP looks solid and does not scare me when faced with the opposition flying at him. He's got a good tackle on him, reads the game well and can pass with authority. Paterson always threatened to be capable. Yesterday was his best performance of the five and that's why I said he made the difference albeit behind the other four who were beyond good.

McDonald would be good in a middle three, as he gets himself ahead of the midfield well and we'd always have the insurance of having back up should he be out of position. he does make intelligent runs, but the fact he goes missing so often when he's in the most important position on the park is nothing short of criminal.