Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Kerr as captain - untenable after today?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kerr and McDonald had another poor game yesterday, they never got hold of the midfield, no crunching tackles or creative play whatsoever. Actually thought McDonald was marginally worse despite scoring the goal. Yet again, when we are without our 16 year old we look very light in midfield. The state of the pitch did not help our players, especially those who rely on pace (like Foster) but for me I though Ifil was the worst player in our team. I honestly thought he was going to gift them a goal everytime he went near the ball.

Kerr and McDonald had another poor game yesterday, they never got hold of the midfield, no crunching tackles or creative play whatsoever. Actually thought McDonald was marginally worse despite scoring the goal. Yet again, when we are without our 16 year old we look very light in midfield. The state of the pitch did not help our players, especially those who rely on pace (like Foster) but for me I though Ifil was the worst player in our team. I honestly thought he was going to gift them a goal everytime he went near the ball.

I was talking to Sharpie about this last night, and you do wonder why the hell we have to pay the guy so much. I thought he made a decent start, but seems to have gone down hill big time. I suppose it explains why he wasn't our first choice transfer.

I actually think Kerr losing the captaincy would be good for all parties concerned. It's clear that he hasn't the heart or bottle to be captain. From having a decent season last season, he has gone to shite. Burden of expectation too much for him? Big Zander for captain please.

Apart from Langfield, Zander is the only person who displays any leadership. When he came on the crowd seemed to rally and the team seemed to actually respect the authority of one of the outfield players for a change. I'm bored of telling folk how bad I think Kerr is. Mcd is no good but does bag a goal here or there. Kerr contributes the square root of hee haw.

I'm bored of telling folk how bad I think Kerr is. Mcd is no good but does bag a goal here or there. Kerr contributes the square root of hee haw.

Were you the guy behind me yesterday? He spent the whole game ranting about Mark Kerr 7/10 in paper every game, I found it quite funny how upset he was.

Were you the guy behind me yesterday? He spent the whole game ranting about Mark Kerr 7/10 in paper every game, I found it quite funny how upset he was.

nah but i heard quite a few folk reacting in a similar way. I always find it amusing that people sound as if they only just realised how shite he can be.

A captain and centre mid is someone you should be bulding a team around but i can't see how he even gets on the pitch. derek young's no worse than kerr and derek young's fairly pish himself.

not as terrible as yesterday as suggested but just lacks a presence. we need a grown man in the middle of that team and it's been bloody obvious for a long time. No one fears or respects him. I called for macdonald at start of season, I'll apologise now. PLease give it to big Zander, the only boy with a spine in the team lately.

On his day Kerr is one of our best players, unfortunately he seems to have contracted severinitis this season. Give the captaincy to Zander, let Kerr be Vice Captain and then hopefully he can get his head down and be the player we all want him to be.

Reluctantly agree. Kerr has at times been a very very anaemic shadow of the player I recognised from last season. So disappointing but nonetherless true. Can't be guarateed a start, can't be captain. Zander is.

To answer my own question

Aberdeen (4-4-2): J Langfield 7 — R Foster 6, J Ifil 5, C Mulgrew 5, J Paterson 5 — D Young 5 (sub: S Aluko, 62 5), G McDonald 6, M Kerr 5 (sub: A Diamond, 88), M Paton 6 — S MacLean 5, D Mackie 6 (sub: P Pawlett, 65 4). Substitutes not used: P Marshall, S Nelson. Booked: Ifil, Aluko.

To answer my own question

Aberdeen (4-4-2): J Langfield 7 — R Foster 6, J Ifil 5, C Mulgrew 5, J Paterson 5 — D Young 5 (sub: S Aluko, 62 5), G McDonald 6, M Kerr 5 (sub: A Diamond, 88), M Paton 6 — S MacLean 5, D Mackie 6 (sub: P Pawlett, 65 4). Substitutes not used: P Marshall, S Nelson. Booked: Ifil, Aluko.

Thought that referee looked like a racist.

J Langfield 7

R Foster 6

G McDonald 6

D Mackie 6

M Paton 6

J Ifil 5

C Mulgrew 5

J Paterson 5

D Young 5

M Kerr 5

S MacLean 5

sub: A Diamond ?

sub: P Pawlett 4

sub: S Aluko 5

Right I can understand Langfield getting 7 and Foster, Mackie and Paton were the best of the outfield - but how the fuck can that clown McDonald also be rated as 6? Did he get +7 points for scoring the goal?

On his day Kerr is one of our best players, unfortunately he seems to have contracted severinitis this season. Give the captaincy to Zander, let Kerr be Vice Captain and then hopefully he can get his head down and be the player we all want him to be.

:lolabove: re severinitis! Does sum it up though. Zander ONLY option for captain.

Kerr has just not been the player he was last season, passing atrocious, nae leadership, and majority of time seems nae much effort either.

Kerr doesn't seem to be coping with the responsibility of captaincy but I imagine that after the reaction to his substitution yesterday his confidence will be shattered even more, stripping of the captaincy could make him crumble all together.

I acknowledge what you are saying GS, however it could be a huge relief to him to relinquish the captaincy; which in turn could mean a return of his performances of last season?

Yes, it could go either way, but he can't get much worse can he?  :-\

I think Kerr could be captain of a club one day, just not now. The thing about Zander is not only does he inspire his team mates, he inspires us as supporters. McGhee needs to man up over this decision and do not only what we ask of him for once, but do what's right.

Partially agree Padre, with your latter point. Imho Zander was our MOTM on Saturday, despite only being on the pitch for several minutes, as as you said he inspires his team mates and us as supporters. We all know he is not an Aberdeen fan, but we also know that whilst he is in our team he would run through a brick wall for the club. He is a leader, vocal and hopefully will be fit for the rest of the season as we have really missed him.

Re Kerr, I'm not convinced he even has a future at the club, farless as Captain, unless he gets back to the player we had last sesaon.