Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen - Arabs 24/10/09

Deep thoughts for McGhee in New Firm derby clash

dons manager can cast envious glance at size of levein’s united squad

By Michael Gannon

Published: 23/10/2009

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee would not swap his best team for Dundee United manager Craig Levein’s best, but McGhee can be forgiven for casting an envious glance at the depth of the Tannadice squad ahead of tomorrow’s New Firm derby at Pittodrie.

McGhee has been unable to make the wholesale changes his counterpart Levein has made at the Arabs in the past two season.

It was a similar tale last year when McGhee was with Motherwell, when the 53-year-old insisted the Taysiders had strengthened their squad rather than their team.

McGhee’s point was proven as Motherwell won two and drew one of three meetings with United last season, including a resounding 4-0 victory at Tannadice.

But the manager’s words were to prove prophetic.

Motherwell’s season collapsed when an injury crisis condemned the Steelmen to the bottom six after the split, while Levein’s large squad proved vital as United claimed fifth place.

McGhee can see parallels this season as he has a threadbare squad once more and he still believes the Arabs’ strength revolves around safety in numbers.

He said: “I put my foot in it with Dundee United at the start of last season.

“I was asked the question about them making a lot of signings when we had not.

“Eventually we were caught out because we had injuries to five key players and only picked up one point from seven games.

“It is possible Dundee United were able to stay a bit longer with the pace because they had a bigger squad.

“What I did say was I felt they had strengthened their squad but not their team. Therefore at that stage I would have still taken my best team ahead of their best team.

“We proved that by going to Tannadice and beating them 4-0.

“This season is similar in many ways.

“That is not something I hold against Craig. He is trying to work miracles and he has found one or two nuggets for nothing, or for very little money.

“I think he has some really good players and some who have improved, such as David Goodwillie.

“They have lost a few, but I do not know if the ones he has brought in have necessarily strengthened the team rather than maintained the level.

“That said, outside the Old Firm, they are as good as anyone else in the league on their day.

“We have got to expect them to be as good as they can be on Saturday and therefore we will have to be at our best.â€

McGhee will today decide whether to hand new signing Maurice Ross a debut against United.

The 28-year-old is in the squad after receiving international clearance yesterday and the manager has been impressed by the former Rangers defender’s fitness, despite him not playing a competitive match since the end of last season.

Ross came through 90 minutes in Tuesday’s bounce game against Dundee and is a contender for the right-back slot tomorrow.

Really could do with a win tomorrow just to maintain a close distance with HIVs. Hopefully the team can build on what were clear positives last weekend and get a couple of goals and 3 vital points.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folk on Mad and the Hat (Mad Hatters?) saying that the game could be called off due to rain.

Fuckin better not, also better not be a late inspection as my train is at 9.30 and i don't want to be stuck in Aberdeen all day with no football to go to...

The weather today is looking a lot lot better, but I would not be surprised if the pitch was ruined by the last 3 days of non-stop rain.

Folk on Mad and the Hat (Mad Hatters?) saying that the game could be called off due to rain.

Fuckin better not, also better not be a late inspection as my train is at 9.30 and i don't want to be stuck in Aberdeen all day with no football to go to...

LOL at madhatters, the thread on the hat was just someone asking i it could be postponed, I doubt it will be, if it is you are more than welcome to spend the day with me BB.

Poor choice.

I was there before the Hearts game, ordered food about 1pm, waited for it until about half 2, then just gave up and went to the game.

That's £3 i'll never see again

:(

No, it's generally alright.

However, if you've ordered food (was it chips..?) and not asked them where the fuck it is after an hour and a half then... ye know?

No, it's generally alright.

However, if you've ordered food (was it chips..?) and not asked them where the fuck it is after an hour and a half then... ye know?

Nope, it's always shite!

And believe it or not I did ask, more than once, the last time I got the delightful answer of "Sorry, but the kitchen is totally fucked"

You got yourself a yellow card? What with you drinking in a student pub ;)

Aberdeen may hand a debut to new signing Maurice Ross Zander, with defenders Zander Diamond and Davide Grassi still missing.

Peter Pawlett is out with a knock but injury-jinxed striker Tommy Wright is available to manager Mark McGhee.

Andy Webster joins injured defenders Lee Wilkie and Paul Dixon on the sidelnes since he has a bad flu.

Prince Buaben and Danny Swanson return from bans and Danny Cadamarteri has recovered full fitness.

I'm interested to see if McGhee bring Ross straight into the team (what with him being a natural right back) but either way, 3 points please!

COME ON YOU REDS. Lets get intae these minky bastards!

:ultras: :ultras: :ultras: :ultras: :ultras: :ultras: :ultras:

I think McGhee needs the 3 points today as much as we do. Being undefeated is only going to wash for so long...

That being said, we're due to dish out a lashing, here's hoping it's today.

COYR.

Mo Ross straight into the team:

Teams from Pittodrie -  Aberdeen: Langfield, Mulgrew, Foster, Considine, Maurice Ross, Ifil, Kerr, Fyvie, Miller, Pawlett, Paton. Subs: Bain, Maguire, Mackie, Aluko, Young, Duff, Crawford.

Dundee Utd: Weaver, Dillon, Dods, Myrie-Williams, Cadamarteri, Gomis, Buaben, Kenneth, Fotheringham, Kovacevic, Casalinuovo. Subs: Banks, Conway, Swanson, Shala, Cameron, Goodwillie, Watson