Friday 14th June 2024

Euro 2024 - 🇩🇪 Germany v 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland - kick-off 8pm

Best Aberdeen Goal Ever?

As the title suggests, what is the best Dons goal ever in your opinion?  John Hewitt's diving header is obviously the most important (or thereabouts) but what do you think the best is, either technically or aesthetically?  Can split it between Dons goals you've witnessed first hand from ones you've just seen on TV.

As the title suggests, what is the best Dons goal ever in your opinion?  John Hewitt's diving header is obviously the most important (or thereabouts) but what do you think the best is, either technically or aesthetically?  Can split it between Dons goals you've witnessed first hand from ones you've just seen on TV.

I remember a beauty Kane scored against der hun at Ibrox, as well as a fucking pile driver the same player scored against Partick in the League Cup.

Jamie Smith against Copenhagen? Jess against der hun?

Nicholas had a few, Miller against Killie last season, Mackie's against Dnipro was a genuinely excellent goal too.

There was a Doug Bell goal against Watershei (I think) that was fucking sublime too.

Shearer's/Gilhaus's overhead kicks, Mackie against Celtic, there's a few of them, Rab Douglas probably ma favourite, but there was a wonderful sweeping move at Parkhead that finished with a low driven early cross from Muirhead from the left (aye I know but it was good) and a sharp finish by Mackie. Gie it tae Johnny He's Clean Through's goal to win it 3-2 at Parkhead was a brilliant, though that was maybe more to do with the bounce.

My own favourite?

Fuck knows, I have favourites for loads of different reasons, Mackie's goal against Dnipro will be hard to top for all that went with it. Lovell's goal against Hearts, Nicholson's goal against Hearts, Seve against Hibs . . . . .

Fuck it, Seve against der hun to qualify for Europe, had a lot of sentimental significance for me as well as being a fucking ripper. His goal against Hibs that season was a much better goal given the weather etc but yes, Seve against the huns.

Agree with FJ that Gilhaus's overhead kick at East End was rather special.  Another one at East End was one of Jess's the day he got four. Brilliant one-two with Gilhaus and then dummied the defenders and keeper and sent the ball rolling into the corner.

Couple of crackers at Parkhead too; Brian Grant's 20 yard half volley was an exquisite piece of skill and technique. John Stewart's winner there a few years ago was rather special too.  (EDIT: Can't believe I've mentioned John Stewart in the same post as Gilhaus, Jess, Grant, Shearer and McDougall  :o )

A couple of Shearer's strikes were breathtaking too, particularly enjoyed his strike v United which effectively relegated them.

Think I'd have to go for Eoin Jess's strike at Ibrox (the finish was amazing but his first touch taking the ball out the sky like that was sensational) as the best I've seen first hand and Frank McDougall's third in his hat trick against Hearts in 85 as the best I've only seen the recording of.

'Ever' is a bit tricky, being limited by memory.

Jess against the huns and Smith v copenhagen are good shouts.

Zerouali's free kick (against hibs?) out near the touchline when a couple of players were standing over it discussing what to do, and he just comes up and sticks it in the net without consulting them.

Andy Dow v Hibs in a cup semi 1999ish. Not spectacular but very well worked.  We had a free kick out wide on the right. Stavrum, having stepped behind his marker signals that he wants it played over his head then, as it gets played, backs quickly off his marker to where the ball is going to land. The defense panics and tries to close him down but rather than shoot he cushions a volley back into the centre for the waiting Dow to lash past the keeper. An example of Stavrum's football brain, and why he was so useful.

I doubt these are the 'best', but they immediately jump to mind, so must have something going for them.

Gilhaus for me the most memorable, of recent times the stewart effort at Parkhead sticks out for the pace, clinical finish and his dad nearly landing on me. It's rare we get what we deserve after an OF comeback. p.s now lives down the road from me and see him down the boozer now and again, what a waste of promising talent.

prob for sentimental reasons jamie smiths winner against huns at pittodrie a few seasons ago. it was my first season with a season ticket and i was sitting very near where he came over to celebrate (and jamie smith is from my home town as well, he actually presented me with the player of the year trophy for my football team a few years ago!), and it was my first ever Aberdeen against Huns actually being in the stadium! so all in all was a great goal!!! ;D

There was a Doug Bell goal against Watershei (I think) that was fucking sublime too.

His run was great but he did not score black did..

Simpsons goal was class though

But in my opinion Doug Bell was the most gifted player with Aberdeen at that time

I remember a beauty Kane scored against der hun at Ibrox, as well as a fucking pile driver the same player scored against Partick in the League Cup.

Jamie Smith against Copenhagen? Jess against der hun?

Nicholas had a few, Miller against Killie last season, Mackie's against Dnipro was a genuinely excellent goal too.

Shearer's/Gilhaus's overhead kicks, Mackie against Celtic, there's a few of them, Rab Douglas probably ma favourite, but there was a wonderful sweeping move at Parkhead that finished with a low driven early cross from Muirhead from the left (aye I know but it was good) and a sharp finish by Mackie. Gie it tae Johnny He's Clean Through's goal to win it 3-2 at Parkhead was a brilliant, though that was maybe more to do with the bounce.

My own favourite?

Fuck knows, I have favourites for loads of different reasons, Mackie's goal against Dnipro will be hard to top for all that went with it. Lovell's goal against Hearts, Nicholson's goal against Hearts, Seve against Hibs . . . . .

Fuck it, Seve against der hun to qualify for Europe, had a lot of sentimental significance for me as well as being a fucking ripper. His goal against Hibs that season was a much better goal given the weather etc but yes, Seve against the huns.

Was my first trip to Ibrox and I was just a youngster but I got my first taste of what a proper bounce was like! Mental. Still one of my favourite memories not only of watching the Dons but in my life.

Gilhaus for me the most memorable, of recent times the stewart effort at Parkhead sticks out for the pace, clinical finish and his dad nearly landing on me. It's rare we get what we deserve after an OF comeback. p.s now lives down the road from me and see him down the boozer now and again, what a waste of promising talent.

Can only blame himself. Was at a great club at that stage of his career but his attitude stank and he thought he'd already made it. Another case of a youngster thinking he's some sort of Billy Big-timer. Fucked it up.

My favorite was Derek Young against the huns in a widweek game, what a hit was pretty much right behind it when it went into the top corner, aberdeen end went absolutly mental it was amazing.

Andy Dow v Hibs in the semi, and budgie against the tims at parkhead are also in my top three

I know it's nae exactly the best ever ... but Mark Perry vs Celtic. Absolute peach of a goal from just inside the halfway line that nobody (Perry included) knew much about.

Perry must've tried about six times after that to replicate that goal, and every single one ended up in the stands - although which stand varied on which effort!

Yeh Reekie

Thats the game, looking back at it now it is unbelievable how many chances we used to make in a game and we took it for granted, compared to the current team now were we only get 3 or 4 chances in a game!!

Scoring 4 at Swinecastle was an annual event!! :):)

Guest ally s

I was at that game at Tynecastle, I remember loads of Hearts fans left well before the final whistle.  A fair few of them were throwing their scarves away too.  :thumbsup: