Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Is the New Stadium possibly going to happen within our lifetimes?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get the cynisysm that so many show towards this? Do you all want it to fail? We would be in a new stadium by now if it wasn’t for the Kingswells NIMBYs – not AFC’s fault that.

Um, would we?  Where was the cash coming from? As far as I'm aware we were just as broke a few years ago when the Kingswells site was touted, and I can't remember the Council having a sack of cash ready to throw at us. I also remember that the European Championships was supposed to get us cash from the government for redevelopment/new stadium, but obviously that was a non-starter since we didn't win the bid.

Why not get behind the idea and show support,

Show support for what, exactly?  No-one's saying we don't want a new stadium, we're passing comment that not one brick has been laid to that end. Are we supposed to go, "Yay.. nothing's been done yet, and nothing looks like getting done. Yay!" Because I fail to see how supporting nothing can have any different an impact to commenting negatively on nothing. Being positive doesn't make cash sprout out of the ground, and pointing out that we're no further forward doesn't make us any poorer.

maybe the council would get off their arses and spend the money on this instead of a few new desks in their £70m headquarters if they thought there were votes in it, certainly more likely than when they’re faced with the cynical, “I told you so†negativity of the typical Aberdonian.

Let's see, 225,000 people in Aberdeen, of which around 10,000 go to games regularly. So we can assume 215,000 people don't really give a fuck one way or the other. Maybe a petition might help? But not really.

We are on our second – just the second – plan, where obviously a lot of work was done behind the scenes to get it where it has now, and which all along has been going out to this feasibility study before anything more could be done.

Okay, so let's say the feasibility study is complete and X-site is decided upon.  Where is the cash coming from to build the stadium?  Not the government, not the city and not the Club. Sooooo.... where? Let's call it a lowball 30million quid.

Vague comments like “for as long as I can remember†do nothing to help, and actually say nothing other than someone has a poor recollection. Well poor memory isn’t really the fault of the Dons I don’t think. I can’t recall any new stadium talk prior to Kingswells, and that was 2002, in fact we’d not long built the RDS at the time, so vague statements that give the impression that this has been going on since the war are nothing more than doom mongering.

I think my memory's just fine.  I'm not going to tell you what you do or don't remember. But I recall at the time of the redevelopment of the RDS that they said they had discussed the options, moving v redevelopment, and redevelopment had been the cheaper option. 4.5million v 30million.

So that would put MY recall of relocation talks at 1993 v your 2002.

So 15 years is, in my book, a pretty good recollection. And certainly better than you not being able to remember past the last 6 years.

And 2 plans in 15 years, one failed and the other doomed to failure,  with nothing more than a sketch to show for it, is pretty shite in my book. Though maybe I just have unrealistic expectations.

Do I hope this will happen? You bet your arse. Do I think it will happen? As a matter of fact I do, and yet by nature I’m a miserable Aberdonian as well. I could be wrong, but at least I’m prepared to give it a chance.

We're ALL prepared to give it a chance. So, off you go Aberdeen, here's your chance. Run with it and show us what you're made of.

Words of encouragement should make all the difference.

Um, would we?  Where was the cash coming from? As far as I'm aware we were just as broke a few years ago when the Kingswells site was touted, and I can't remember the Council having a sack of cash ready to throw at us. I also remember that the European Championships was supposed to get us cash from the government for redevelopment/new stadium, but obviously that was a non-starter since we didn't win the bid.

Show support for what, exactly?  No-one's saying we don't want a new stadium, we're passing comment that not one brick has been laid to that end. Are we supposed to go, "Yay.. nothing's been done yet, and nothing looks like getting done. Yay!" Because I fail to see how supporting nothing can have any different an impact to commenting negatively on nothing. Being positive doesn't make cash sprout out of the ground, and pointing out that we're no further forward doesn't make us any poorer.

Let's see, 225,000 people in Aberdeen, of which around 10,000 go to games regularly. So we can assume 215,000 people don't really give a fuck one way or the other. Maybe a petition might help? But not really.

Okay, so let's say the feasibility study is complete and X-site is decided upon.  Where is the cash coming from to build the stadium?  Not the government, not the city and not the Club. Sooooo.... where? Let's call it a lowball 30million quid.

I think my memory's just fine.  I'm not going to tell you what you do or don't remember. But I recall at the time of the redevelopment of the RDS that they said they had discussed the options, moving v redevelopment, and redevelopment had been the cheaper option. 4.5million v 30million.

So 15 years is, in my book, a pretty good recollection. And certainly better than you not being able to remember past the last 6 years.

And 2 plans in 15 years, one failed and the other doomed to failure,  with nothing more than a sketch to show for it, is pretty shite in my book. Though maybe I just have unrealistic expectations.

We're ALL prepared to give it a chance. So, off you go Aberdeen, here's your chance. Run with it and show us what you're made of.

Words of encouragement should make all the difference.

Do you have any idea how much these feasability studies cost? Feckin loads, and for that reason, someone in power must think it's worth doing. Why? Presumably because there is a more than reasonable chance of it becoming reality.

I don't know who is paying for these studies (afc, the council, mixture of both) but bet your back teeth the cost is not insignificant.

I personally felt initially Pittodrie was our home, never wanted to move. Reality is something has to be done. If the redevelopment of Pittodrie isn't an option I personally favour Loirston - if for no other reason it will hopefully keep the scum out of our city centre on hun days. One quick turn right at the roundabout and the filth are quickly on the road south to Glasgow.

I can see the cynisysm, it's been spoken about for so long. I, for one, however, think it will happen. In my lifetime? Who knows.....

Ok i have been out of the loop on the stadium plans since moving to France. Last i heard three serious options were being looked at for the new Stadium. These were just fae mates o mine who email now and again

THE LINKS

Portlethen area

Westhills

There was a rumour about a area between Dyce and Newmacher but I didnea hear much about it.

If anyone else has new info I would be intrested

As for a new stadium in our lifetime  :-\  possible...

Guest fatshaft

You might be right, but AFC did everything they could to get that off the ground.

Nothing's been done? We've identified two sites, and have a feasibiltiy study in it's final stages to decide which route to take. Seems like plenty's been done to me.

I'm sure you'd admit far more than 10,000 go to Pittodrie at one time or another, and that far more than 10,000 have an interest in the DOns.

That's why there's a feasibility study, to decide all of these things.

Kingswells was 2002. Building the RDS was obviously the choice in 1993, but the goalposts have moved.  Or did "relocation talk" start when Pittodrie went all seated and the South Stand was rebuilt? Or when the main stand was rebuilt?

We've been looking for a new stadium for 6 years whichever way you want to spin it.

I don't recall any stadium talk past 6 years, becasue there isn;t any, it became an issue when Kingswells was being talked about.

No you're just a doom monger waiting to say I told you so if Loirston/Kings Links fails. 2 plans in 6 years btw, there was no new stadium talk before Kingswells, unless of course you can point us to an article where an alternative site was being discussed in 1993?

We're ALL prepared to give it a chance.
Not judging by your previousparagraph.

So, off you go Aberdeen, here's your chance. Run with it and show us what you're made of.  Words of encouragement should make all the difference.
You're just being an arse now.

Do you have any idea how much these feasability studies cost? Feckin loads, and for that reason, someone in power must think it's worth doing. Why? Presumably because there is a more than reasonable chance of it becoming reality.

I believe it was around about the 500k mark. So that puts us another half million in the hole.

Do you know how much a new stadium costs?  Feckin loads. 

Do you know how much money we've got?  It's about -10,000,000 quid give or take.

If there were a 'more than reasonable chance of it becoming reality' I'd seriously like to know where the cash is coming from.

I don't know who is paying for these studies (afc, the council, mixture of both) but bet your back teeth the cost is not insignificant.

Originally it was to be a joint venture between the city and the club. Then the city pulled out because they're broke/not interested and the club went ahead/is going ahead and paying for it themselves. So if the city won't even go 50/50 on the feasibility study what are the chances they're going to take on the expense of a new stadium? Pretty slim, I'd guess.

I personally felt initially Pittodrie was our home, never wanted to move. Reality is something has to be done. If the redevelopment of Pittodrie isn't an option I personally favour Loirston - if for no other reason it will hopefully keep the scum out of our city centre on hun days. One quick turn right at the roundabout and the filth are quickly on the road south to Glasgow.

Sounds good to me. Keep the filth out of our city and the good people of Aberdeen are surely safer.

You might be right, but AFC did everything they could to get that off the ground.

Which, without any money, investments or handouts was precisely nothing.

Nothing's been done? We've identified two sites, and have a feasibiltiy study in it's final stages to decide which route to take. Seems like plenty's been done to me.

Yep. Feasibility studies and a drawing. To me that's nothing.  What would be something would be to find the money to build a new ground, because without cash all the feasibility studies and drawings of new stadiums amount to exactly feck all.  Whatever the club does, if they don't have the cash to follow through, is nothing more than blowing smoke up our arses.  I could go window shopping for a Ferrari, but if I don't have the cash to buy one what value do you place on me window shopping?  I could draw a picture of a Ferrari, but without the cash to but that Ferrari there's still no chance of me getting one.

So, until the club finds investment we're going nowhere. That's the bottom line.

I'm sure you'd admit far more than 10,000 go to Pittodrie at one time or another, and that far more than 10,000 have an interest in the DOns.

Let's double that figure and call it 20,000. That's still less than 10% of the city's population who are motivated to even go to the ground, let alone are passionate enough to care if the city helps the club out by financing a new stadium. 

We've been looking for a new stadium for 6 years whichever way you want to spin it.

No, the club has obviously been looking at the possibility/feasibility of moving since the RDS was built 15 years ago, given that at the time they stated that it was move or redevelop, and they went with the cheaper option. That's not spin. But if you want to stick your fingers in your ears and say "Nonononono" then go right ahead, but you're only convincing yourself.

I don't recall any stadium talk past 6 years, becasue there isn;t any, it became an issue when Kingswells was being talked about.

I can see you've managed to convince yourself. Big pat on the back.

No you're just a doom monger waiting to say I told you so if Loirston/Kings Links fails. 2 plans in 6 years btw, there was no new stadium talk before Kingswells, unless of course you can point us to an article where an alternative site was being discussed in 1993?

I guess if you keep saying 6 years enough you reckon it'll become true.

Tell you what, let's say one of the 2 sites are identified as being fantastic... where's the cash coming from?

Not the club.

Not the city.

Not the government.

Not Milne.

No investors.

G'head, tell me where they're finding the money.

We're ALL prepared to give it a chance.

Not judging by your previousparagraph.

Hmmmm, so you're under the impression that vocal cynicism means one isn't prepared to wait and see?  Well, you're wrong about that.

You're just being an arse now.

Toughen up, buttercup.

Are ye mental?!?!? Keep Aberdeen fans out of the city centre - that's what yer saying isn't it?

How many huns do ye get in the toon anyway?!? Fuck all

Said fuck all about keeping Aberdeen fans out of the city. Try reading before you reply. Don't scum who drive up go through the city/park in it. Isn't there a pub off King Street thats basically a hun pub when we play them at home?

Sorry for having an opinion that obviously differs from yours, not sure that makes me mental though  :wanker:

Ah, the mindless optimism card.

Excellent.

The truth is fatshaft, that whether you want to describe the general attitude on here as negative or "doom mongering" it looks far more realistic and in touch with the facts of the matter.

I suspect everyone who has posted wants this to happen as much as you but there really isn't much realistic chance of it happening at all in the next 5 years, probably more. The feasibility study was started at a time when I expect most wouldn't have expected the financial market to collapse too.

I don't see anyone being particularly negative as such, for once it just seems a reflection of the real state of play.

The feasibility study will amount to little more than a wish list were the finances in place. As it stands even if we sell the Pitt we'll still be in the grubber.

Said fuck all about keeping Aberdeen fans out of the city. Try reading before you reply. Don't scum who drive up go through the city/park in it. Isn't there a pub off King Street thats basically a hun pub when we play them at home?

Sorry for having an opinion that obviously differs from yours, not sure that makes me mental though  :wanker:

I was replying to someone else in that line, not you. Calm down, weepy.

I'm not saying you can't have an opinion of your own, princess. What I'm saying is that repeating "6 years" ad infinitum doesn't make your 6 year statement any more valid. Do you think they just threw up the RDS without looking into the possibility of relocation before they invested 4.5 million in a new stand?

I know the club is incompetent, but they're not that incompetent.

But, like I said, if you want to believe that there was no investigation into redevelopment back in 93, and that the very first time it was considered was "6 years" ago then knock yourself out. 

Personally I do think that makes you mental, but I'm sure your E-feelings will survive the trauma.

I suspect everyone who has posted wants this to happen as much as you but there really isn't much realistic chance of it happening at all in the next 5 years, probably more.

But, they have to do something about the main stand so their hand will be forced - either redevelop the main stand or move to a new stadium, and I'm pretty sure it has to happen before 5 years time.

As an aside, Scotland hosting a future European Championships would help enormously.

As an aside, Scotland hosting a future European Championships would help enormously.

The expansion of the Euros (which is bollocks byraway) has made it unfeasible for Scotland to host them alone. If they were to co-host it, I'm not sure the re-development/building of a new stadium in the North East would be necessary?

The expansion of the Euros (which is bollocks byraway) has made it unfeasible for Scotland to host them alone. If they were to co-host it, I'm not sure the re-development/building of a new stadium in the North East would be necessary?

At the AGM, they seemed to suggest a joint-bid with Wales (or whoever) would still include Aberdeen.

But, they have to do something about the main stand so their hand will be forced - either redevelop the main stand or move to a new stadium, and I'm pretty sure it has to happen before 5 years time.

Is that really true though?

Much like Kelt, I have been hearing such reports for a long time now, the main stand must have went through a couple of "only 5 years left" scenarios.

Wales have 3 ready or near ready, Cardiff (x2) and Swansea, presumably we'd use the ugly sisters, Hampden, Murrayfield and Pittodrie with one of the other Edinburgh Jakey's taking one? Is that enough though if they increase the size of the Euro's?

I thought one of the problems of a Scottish bid was that there were not enough stadia in different cities? i.e. Glasgow probably wouldn't be able to use Hampden, Ibrox and Celtic Park?

I was thinking the same thing. Surely the Police for a start would say no? This is why I agree with Funster in that I just don't think a joint bid would be feasable :( I was the same as Kowalski in thinking that something had to be done about the main stand. But maybe it was just a rumour  :-\

I was replying to someone else in that line, not you. Calm down, weepy.

I'm not saying you can't have an opinion of your own, princess. What I'm saying is that repeating "6 years" ad infinitum doesn't make your 6 year statement any more valid. Do you think they just threw up the RDS without looking into the possibility of relocation before they invested 4.5 million in a new stand?

I know the club is incompetent, but they're not that incompetent.

But, like I said, if you want to believe that there was no investigation into redevelopment back in 93, and that the very first time it was considered was "6 years" ago then knock yourself out. 

Personally I do think that makes you mental, but I'm sure your E-feelings will survive the trauma.

Not sure I was actually replying to you, unless you use two names. Can't disagree with a lot you say (apart, of course, from I'm mental, but do agree my E-feelings will survive, I'm a big hardy loon now). I do think the studies being done now are longer and more expensive than before - just my thoughts, no evidence to back it up, but then I doubt you have evidence to back up what your saying?? I may also be a hopeless optimistic but I do think it will happen.

Anyway, if having a personal opinion on this site makes me a window licker I'll just have to accept that. It's clear from even such a short time on here some of you are so far up each others arseholes you could tickle their tonsils from the inside. I'll stick to giving my own opinions.

Much like Kelt, I have been hearing such reports for a long time now, the main stand must have went through a couple of "only 5 years left" scenarios.

The Main Stand kept failing it's safety certificate some 10 years ago. There have been many "arrangements" made for it's continued use until a long term solution is found.

Guest fatshaft

OK, let's go with you and Kelt's view that it's a load of bollocks. Now considering that a brand new stadium would cost a hillock o money that Kelt doesn't think that Wiggy can find, then why are AFC not just redeveloping the Main stand? Whichever way you look at it, it is impossible that that option could cost more than a whole new stadium? There must be some explanation surely?