Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Most hated English footballer

Kowalski
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ohn Terry: FA strips England captaincy from Chelsea defender

John Terry has been stripped of the England captaincy, sources close to the defender have told BBC Sport.

The 31-year-old Chelsea centre-back was informed of the decision by Football Association chairman David Bernstein in a phone call at 1000 GMT.

He is due to stand trial in July over racial abuse allegations after an incident with QPR's Anton Ferdinand.

Terry, who lost the captaincy once previously, has entered a plea of not guilty to the charge.

Bernstein spoke to FA board members and the majority view was that Terry should be stood down.

The chairman was also expected to consult England coach Fabio Capello about the issue on Friday.

Capello has until now maintained the position that Terry is innocent until proven guilty and that he should be free to select him as his captain until his trial is over.

There was some nervousness among board members as to how the Italian would react, with some fearing he will see it as undue interference in team affairs.

But there was an acceptance among the FA hierarchy that the matter should be taken out of his hands.

The FA has been forced to act after Terry's case was adjourned until 9 July - a week after the Euro 2012 finals end - ensuring that the affair will dominate the build-up to the championships.

For some time now Bernstein has been growing increasingly concerned at the FA's position on Terry.

Some board members have lobbied him to take decisive action to ensure the FA is not accused of being weak on racism.

Black players within the England squad have also been putting pressure on the Professional Footballers' Association to take a stronger stance on Terry.

This is believed to have also played a part in forcing the FA to act.

Terry was previously stripped of the captaincy when Capello removed him from the role in February 2010  following allegations he had an affair with an England team-mate's ex-girlfriend.

Terry was reinstated 13 months later with Capello saying "one year of punishment is enough".

Former FA chief executive Mark Palios questioned why the FA had opted to change its stance on Terry, having kept him as captain since the allegations were first made in October.

He told BBC Radio 5 live: "What the FA has to do is a balancing act between the rights of the individual and the wider game. I don't know how that will affect the dressing room and make it better than it was by keeping him in the squad but taking the captaincy off him."

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should he be allowed to wait till after Euro 2012 for his day in court?  Would we be given a similar dispensation if we had some important work to do over the next few months?

Equally did I hear correctly that Redknapp's trial won't be concluded till the football season has finished?  British Justice.....awesome.

I'd have thought his form would be reason enough to not play him, never mind be captain. That said, anyone who doesn't think worse things get said week in week out to disrupt other players are kidding themselves. Professional football players are thoroughly corrupt and cheat throughout their careers but their ethics rarely get them into bother.

Low care factor but he is a cunt.

The Football Association's decision to remove the England captaincy from John Terry has left him contemplating whether to quit international football in protest and comes at a time when he is facing a potential mutiny within Fabio Capello's squad. Terry's demotion was confirmed in a 10am phone call on Friday after David Bernstein, the FA chairman, informed Capello he was being overruled because the FA could not allow the Chelsea player to continue in the role after his trial for allegedly racially abusing Anton Ferdinand was scheduled to begin on 9 July, eight days after the European Championship final.

Capello opposed the decision and is almost as angry as Terry, not least because it leaves the manager with a dilemma about who to choose as England's captain for the tournament. Rio Ferdinand immediately made it clear he did not want to be considered and, while Steven Gerrard is the obvious candidate, the Liverpool player's injury issues mean Capello will make backup plans, potentially including Gareth Barry and Scott Parker.

One key requirement will be to reunite what is increasingly looking like a fractured squad after it emerged Terry was cold-shouldered by a small but influential group of players when the squad were last together for the friendlies against Sweden and Spain.

Terry, who denies the charge and is determined to clear his name, became aware other players had a problem with him and the issue was never fully resolved before all returned to their clubs. Rio Ferdinand, Anton's older brother, was not involved but his own relationship with Terry is fragile, to say the least. These are two of the more influential players in the England dressing room and, for Capello, it is threatening to become a serious issue. Jason Roberts, the Reading striker and Kick It Out campaigner, has predicted the mood will be "toxic" and Capello will almost certainly have to address it when the players reconvene for the Wembley friendly against Holland on 29 February.

Before then, Capello will offer Terry private backing amid suggestions from the player's camp that he is aggrieved enough to consider withdrawing from contention. Terry believes the FA has reacted under pressure from the media. There is also a sense he was already considering ending his England career after Euro 2012.

Capello had wanted to keep Terry as captain in keeping with his previous statements of considering him innocent until proven guilty. He reiterated this to Terry this week and had visited him at Chelsea's training ground, again to reassure him of his position.

Capello must now reflect on a gamble that badly misfired given that it was his decision to depose Ferdinand and reinstate Terry for his second spell as captain, having initially demoted the Chelsea player because of the Wayne Bridge controversy. The manager's annoyance is exacerbated by the fact the decision was taken while he was out of the country. The FA released a statement confirming that Bernstein had "spoken to both John Terry and Fabio Capello to explain the facts. Fabio Capello has not been involved in the discussions … but understands that the FA board has authority to make this decision."

The decision was based on the fact "the FA board expected the trial to be concluded prior to the European Championship" and "the higher profile nature of the England captaincy, on and off the pitch, and additional demands and requirements expected of the captain". The FA added: "This in no way infers [sic] any suggestion of guilt in relation to the charge made against John Terry."

Terry was later offered Chelsea's backing. "It's the FA's decision," André Villas-Boas said. "I don't agree with it. John will continue to be our captain. It's the club's and the manager's decision to support the player up to the moment of the court.

"I have spoken to John. He was disappointed but John is a person of great mental strength and personal convictions. He has to move on. He's been through a period like this before when he was stripped of the captaincy and he came back to a level of great individual performances."

Capello's next captain would ideally be Gerrard but he also has to weigh up the fact the Liverpool player has started only eight games this season. Frank Lampard may not be in the team this summer and the same goes for Barry if Gerrard and Parker are available and Jack Wilshere is back from injury. Ashley Cole has also been mentioned but only briefly because the England management know he is not keen. Otherwise, Joe Hart is ruled out because he is deemed too young, at 24, while appointing Wayne Rooney would not make sense when he is banned for the first two matches of Euro 2012.

Terry has a knee injury and will miss Sunday's home game against Manchester United, sparing him the distinct possibility of being blanked by Rio Ferdinand, and potentially several other players, in the pre-match handshakes.

Ferdinand said on Twitter that he did not want to be England captain because of "the last episode". He also does not want the vice-captaincy and a spokesman for his management company, New Era, said: "Rio just wants to concentrate on playing football."

• 5 months later...
The court also heard that Mr Terry has accepted how, when both players were around the half-way line of the pitch, he used the words "fucking black cunt".

But the court also heard that Mr Terry maintains he was only sarcastically repeating what Mr Ferdinand incorrectly thought he had said.

Terry's lawyer's a genius. He'll walk. (Minus the fine).  :hammer:

Hahaha your post brings back a random memory, MBT. My Maths teacher telling me I wasn't old enough or wise enough to be sarcastic. I was obviously being a cheeky shite.

Anyway. It's clear as day that Terry's story is shite. (He claims he was repeating what he was alleged to have said but as in asking a question) but Ferdinand claims he didn't even know about the racist remarks until after the game. I can see there being not enough evidence to convict.

In a hilarious misunderstanding, John Terry was asked to repeat evidence that he had been sent off four times in his career.

“Can you say, please, four times?” asked his QC, George Carter-Stephenson.

“Please, please, please, please,” Terry responded.

Guffaws of laughter broke out around the courtroom at the misunderstanding, which was a result of the judge asking Terry to speak up.

The footballer appeared confused by response from the courtroom.

:D

Hahaha your post brings back a random memory, MBT. My Maths teacher telling me I wasn't old enough or wise enough to be sarcastic. I was obviously being a cheeky shite.

Anyway. It's clear as day that Terry's story is shite. (He claims he was repeating what he was alleged to have said but as in asking a question) but Ferdinand claims he didn't even know about the racist remarks until after the game. I can see there being not enough evidence to convict.

Well definitely wasnae me then!  ;D If they were that smart (and I think only twice did I get "owned") it was "credit where it's due  :thumbsup:

BTW Terry canna really be as thick as he looks? Are they covering themselves and going for a "diminished responsibility on the grounds of being a moron" plea?

• 2 months later...