Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Do we expect too much?

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/scottishpremier/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/10/20/SOCCER_Aberdeen.html&TEAMHD=scotspremiership

Jamie Smith believes Aberdeen's dismal home form could be down to the high expectations of their supporters.

The Dons have yet to win a game at Pittodrie this season, a 1-1 draw with Rangers back in August representing their only point gained so far in their own backyard.

Smith feels that the pressure to produce the goods in front of their own fans could be contributing to their own downfall.

"There is maybe a bit of added pressure at Pittodrie," Smith said. "The fans maybe demand a bit more, as is their right to do.

"Aberdeen are a big club and when we're playing at home, without being disrespectful to any other team, we should be winning most of our home games.

"I think that's what the fans are looking at."

A hard-fought win at Falkirk on Saturday allowed Aberdeen to lift themselves off the bottom of the Clydesdale Bank Premier League into 10th position.

"If we could just carry these performances into the home games, I'm sure you would see us fly back up the table," Smith added.

"People have said we will be struggling this season.

"But we are only nine or 10 games into the season, there is still a long way to go and hopefully this is the first step to us getting back to where we should be."

Smith made his first appearance since the 1-0 win at St Mirren on August 30 when he was thrown into the action at the Falkirk Stadium for the final 15 minutes after recovering from a calf injury.

"No player likes to be injured and I'm no exception," he said.

"Just to be involved was great. I wasn't really expecting the run-out I got and I was really pleased with it.

"I enjoyed it, it was great to be back. When you're injured you realise just how important it is to be fit because you miss it so much."

The midfielder is now hoping for a prolonged run in the team but is well aware he must convince manager Jimmy Calderwood he deserves a place in his plans.

"I'm no different from any other player," he told Red TV.

"If I'm performing well in training and taking my chances on the pitch, hopefully I'll be playing. If not, I don't think I will be playing.

"That's the way it should be in football and I think that's the way most managers work so hopefully I can force my way into the team when I get the chance.

"The manager won't like me saying this but if I could play a bit more central I would enjoy it more."

WTF? I was ready to rip Smith a new arsehole in response to that. But then I read beyond the headline. Where the fuck does he blame anyone? He simply states the fuckin obvious about how our home form needs to improve, and the Pittodrie fans cannot expect to put up with what they've seen so far.

I'm sorry Jamie. I will not rip you a new arsehole today. I shall save my ammunition for the wank who wrote that headline!