Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Bebo says relax

Dons can turn the season around

Stick together and we’ll be all right says Chris Maguire

By Sean Wallace

Published: 14/10/2008

STRIKER Chris Maguire today called for patience, because Aberdeen will turn their disastrous season around.

Maguire insists the Dons players are hurting badly at slumping rock bottom of the SPL for the first time since May 2000.

The dejected Dons trooped off to boos from the Red Army after the 2-1 loss to Hibs, their fifth successive loss.

The Reds had earlier been handed SPL defeats by Hamilton, Dundee United and Celtic, and knocked out of the CIS Cup by Kilmarnock.

But Maguire is convinced the Dons will rally against Falkirk on Saturday and start climbing the table.

He said: “For the majority of the players this is the first time they have ever been bottom of a table in their careers.

“To be so far down the table is bitterly disappointing and all the players are feeling it.

“Unfortunately things are not going our way at the moment, which hurts.

“We realise the fans are becoming frustrated because they went away from Pittodrie unhappy yet again after the Hibs defeat.

“But I can guarantee all the players are working hard in training to turn this around.â€

As a late substitute in the 2-1 loss to Hibs, Maguire is less culpable than his more experienced team-mates for the alarming slump.

But to his credit, the striker was still willing to put his head above the parapet.

“We realise the fans are rightly on our back after recent results,†he said.

“For them to boo after the Hibs game was maybe a little harsh because we had put so much into the game.

“Unfortunately it was an offside penalty decision that cost us the game, and not any bad play from Aberdeen.â€

The brutal statistics read just one point from the opening five home games, sending Aberdeen to the bottom of the SPL.

But Maguire reckons the beleaguered Red Army can at least take heart that the Dons are not cut adrift.

“It is such a close league, that a win over Hibs would have taken us into the top six,†he said.

“A few victories would take us right back up the table and that is what we must focus on achieving.

“After only eight games it is still very early days,†he said.

“If you look at this time last year, Aberdeen had less points but still managed to finish fourth.

“Everyone in the dressing room knows that we can turn this around and get back up the table.â€

Blunder referee Mike McCurry was guilty of a shocking decision when he awarded a penalty to Hibs and sent off Charlie Mulgrew.

Scotland starlet Steven Fletcher was clearly offside as he flicked the ball towards goal, which deflected onto Mulgrew’s hand.

The SFA refused to uphold Aberdeen’s appeal against Mulgrew’s red card, and the full-back will miss the Falkirk clash.

“Unfortunately, we are not getting any luck and bad decisions have cost us,†said Maguire

“Aberdeen are not playing badly and we are showing the right attitude on the pitch, so hopefully that luck will come.

“In our last few games we have been on top but have not taken our chances.

“That has come back to haunt us.

“The winning goal from Hibs was offside and it cost us.

“We were doing well in that game and to have that penalty decision go against us knocked our confidence a little.

“After that we had to chase the game with a man down.â€

Maguire came on as a substitute mid-way through the second half against Hibs.

The Evening Express recently revealed that Dons boss Jimmy Calderwood was set to retain faith with the mis-firing striking partnership of Lee Miller and Darren Mackie.

The duo have netted just one goal from open play this season.

And Maguire is determined to ease the Dons scoring drought.

“When I saw that in the paper it was a bit disappointing,†he said.

“But I will keep working hard and hopefully my chance will come.

“I would of liked to have played in more games but all I can do is work hard in training and reserve games to get back into the manager’s plans.

“Hopefully that chance will come sooner rather than later. And when it does I aim to make the most of it.

“The international break gave us time to recharge our batteries and hopefully we can end that bad run by beating Falkirk.â€

Thought it was a decent interview from Maguire. Usual positive comments before the weekends game, hopefully they are working as hard as he says.

But obviously over on KKK-chat he's a little ned prick for saying he thought the booing was harsh.

Guest Caroline B

Thought it was maybe a take on the "Frankie says Relax" thing. What a let down!  ;D

I had visions of of Maguire in a black leather jacket with a big moustache

Would agree with most of what Maguire says, but despite these decisions, we are not creating or converting many chances. Therefore leaving us vulnerable to these SFA barstewards. Do the talking by putting the ball in the back of the opposition's net! I wish you every bit of luck!