Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Tommy: I will get it Wright at Aberdeen

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/864412

DONS striker Tommy Wright today vowed to make up for his home debut horror show.

Wright admitted he is still sick that he wrecked his first start in an Aberdeen shirt by handling the ball to gift Dundee United a penalty and a 1-0 win at Pittodrie.

The former Leicester City and Darlington hitman is praying manager Jimmy Calderwood will give him the chance to make amends in the coming weeks.

Wright said: “Things clearly didn’t go as planned for me in the United game.

“I was devastated to give away the penalty, it ruined my whole weekend.

“It was horrible coming back to work the following Monday and facing everyone.

“I held my hand up and said sorry for letting people down.

“I know I shouldn’t have handled the ball and still don’t know why I let it happen.

“One thing is for certain though, it won’t happen again.â€

Wright has been stuck on the bench since, but plans to make better use of his chance to impress the next time it comes along.

“I’ve signed a three-year deal with Aberdeen and want to prove during that time that I’m a success and not a flop,†he said.

“I know I face a fight to get back into the first team, but I like a challenge.â€

Wright continued his push for recognition by netting Aberdeen’s opener in their 5-2 Reserve League win over Hamilton at Brechin.

He said: “It was pleasing to get on target because I know making good use of the reserve games will help me get back in favour with the manager.

Wright expects to be on the bench again this weekend when the Dons face Hibs at Pittodrie.

But he is confident the Dons will get the win they need to haul themselves away from the bottom end of the SPL.

“We’ve all taken lift from the Celtic game, even though we lost,†he said.

“There is pressure on us because our home record this season has been poor.

“We are determined to improve, so know a win at the weekend is a must.â€

Strikes from Chris Maguire and Peter Pawlett and a double from Nicky Clark – son of reserve team coach Sandy – completed the Aberdeen tally at Brechin.